Lyft Contractor Reviews | Glassdoor

Lyft CEO Logan Green
Logan Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Wear and tear on the car isn’t fun" (in 86 reviews)

• "poor rating system; inconsistent bonus system" (in 71 reviews)

1. "Great"

Current Freelancer - Independent Contractor in Teaneck, NJ
    Current Freelancer - Independent Contractor in Teaneck, NJ

I have been working at Lyft (More than a year)

Pros

Great extra income for the times in between

Cons

Tolls tolls n fees too many fees..surges only come off in fees we never see extra $

2. "Love it!"

Current Contractor - Contractor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Contractor - Contractor in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Lyft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

50¢ off a gallon at Shell for Platinum level drivers during Summer not only offsets the higher Summertime fuel costs but also helps my bank account.

Cons

It can become addictive working it's fun and lucrative it's easy to forget you are working.

Advice to Management

Steady as she goes.

3. "It is what you make it"

Current Freelancer - Independent Contractor in Omaha, NE
    Current Freelancer - Independent Contractor in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Your own hours
    Meet new people often
    Repeat customers
    Keep your tips
    Explore the city/area

Cons

Can go extended periods of time without a request
    Much of gas can be wasted (if in an inconvenient location)

Advice to Management

Thanks for opening the market, continue taking advice from people like us, as we are on the frontline.

"Not so great"

Former Contractor - Contractor in Portland, OR
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Portland, OR

I worked at Lyft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Schedule work around what you need to get done for the day.
    Paid weekly
    Time for solitude

Cons

Had to work during rush hours and when the 9-5 humans are having fun so really not so much flexibility and there was no limit to the drivers that could be out on the road so wait times could be unbearable.
    Usually made less than minimum wage after expenses

5. "driver"

Former Freelancer - Independent Contractor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Freelancer - Independent Contractor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't tell you at the moment.

Cons

They treat their drivers as easily replaceable refuse.

Advice to Management

They don't appreciate their drivers. We used our personal vehicle, we get 0% help with car maintenance and they still don't care for such drivers.

"Your screwed"

Former Freelancer - Driver Contractor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Freelancer - Driver Contractor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

You will meet some nice people, ( however you will meet plenty of smelly jerks also). You can set your own hours. However if you do not work the peak times you really won't make any money.

Cons

First let me say this, those of you who try rideshare in their Chevy Tahoe or their gas-guzzling vehicle, or anything you would like to keep nice, forget it. If you look at this as a reliable source of income, forget it. The definition of the term rideshare is this - a computer person developed an app to exploit a market of people who are cheap. They use unsuspecting people and must keep a constant hiring program going because everyone realizes they are not making any money and stop doing it. They sell you on a load of crap. I am a hardworking person who was willing to go with the program, thinking I could make a buck. You will not. If you decide to do this understand you were making a handful of people very rich while you drive your car into the ground. There are only two ways to do this. One is to supplement your current income. Trying to pick up one or two rides on your way to work and or home from work. This method will put a couple extra dollars in your pocket without destroying your car too much , you must beware of chasing the bell all over town , stick to the area you already Drive. The other is to buy a subcompact or hybrid vehicle just a couple years inside of their restrictions, for $5000 - $7000. Count on replacing it every couple years if you're doing this all the time. Then count on spending a lot of time in the vehicle. I also suggest you selecting one with the most comfortable seat. Now to make any money you must work the peak times. By the time you pay for all your expenses, you will realize it's not worth it, something else you will learn about driving around town is how stressful it actually is. You will also have to drive 20 to 30 minutes to pick up a ride that you only earn $4 on. Lazy people use this a lot they will call you to drive them two blocks down the road. That happens a lot it's half of your fares. In the end if you go at this like a full-time job you will most likely windup only earning 10 to $12 an hour once you realize how much your car actually cost you. This is Corporate America at its finest. The reason they always have to keep hiring is because most people figure it out. Do yourself a favor and do not allow corporate raider rideshare jerks to devalue your self-worth. You can make this kind of money anywhere without the stress. People pay less than half of what a cab ride will cost and most do not tip, you endure all of the expenses, and a couple people get filthy rich off you.

Advice to Management

Greedy Corporate America at its finest, way to exploit people. Uber is Lyft, as Lyft is Uber. Same company, two divisions.

"Predatory rental, uncooperative, terrible support"

Current Freelancer - Independent Contractor in Sacramento, CA
    Current Freelancer - Independent Contractor in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

LYFT probably does not cause cancer.

Cons

Rented a car through LYFT. Too many drivers so it is extremely difficult to get the number of rides necessary to hit goals and i need to leave town for 2 weeks. Tried to return the car. You have to give 24 hours notice for an appointment and must return the car to the location you rented it. No-one has answered the phone at their Rancho Cordova office for several days. Now, it is the weekend and guess what, they are closed on the weekend. I call LYFT support. They are rude and tell me too bad. I can return it on Tuesday. I will be out of town. They tell me that the car will go into repo, be picked up, and I will own more charges and be un-LYFTed for ever more. Absolutely zero help or appreciation that their own people won't answer the phone at the rental facility. Best of all, the support person hung up the phone when I inquired about other alternatives to repo.

Advice to Management

Try to be honest. I can see that it may be difficult, but try.

8. "Drivers Suffer"

Current Freelancer - Contractor in Dallas, TX
    Current Freelancer - Contractor in Dallas, TX

Pros

It allows me to work whenever I choose.

Cons

I'm a Lyft contractor. I've been in theLove Field queue for over an hour. I was bumped from 20 to 33. I called to ask about it and was told I can just go somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your technology so this doesn't happen.

9. "ratings"

Current Freelancer - Independent Contractor in San Diego, CA
    Current Freelancer - Independent Contractor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

i get to choose my own hours which is cool, and driving strangers around, you connect with them emotionally sometimes as if you have known for long, and I enjoy every moment.

Cons

Lyft should screen their riders more because crazy riders are really out there with no regard for the driver or the vehicle.

10. "Lyft ParTner Driver"

Current Freelancer - Independent Contractor in Berkeley, CA
    Current Freelancer - Independent Contractor in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

i look forward to share my cool stories with passengers.

Cons

I can't think of any cons but i'd like to the customer support to be a more responsive

Advice to Management

NONE