Lyft Data Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

Logan Green
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Wear and tear on the car isn’t fun" (in 86 reviews)

• "poor rating system; inconsistent bonus system" (in 71 reviews)

"Great place to grow yourself, and amazing data"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lyft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lyft is all about the culture. We're working in one of the biggest emerging industries of the decade, and our business outlook is very strong. But there is still a genuineness that filters down from the founders to all the teams that I've worked with, and the people I'm working seem to be the happiest that I've seen in any of my previous companies.

I've received strong mentorship, and at the same time been able to immediately (within my first month of employment) start my own projects, driving them to completion over my first few months. My team respects the strengths that people bring in with them, and I've felt they foster autonomy. External stakeholder recognition comes easy, and causes me to want to go above and beyond the call of duty (e.g. occasionally working on weekends) because I know I'm being recognized for it.

This is the first company where I've felt an allegiance to the company values and, although it sound corny, actually feel proud to follow them. (e.g. 'Be Yourself' - this actually feels like the first place I've worked that doesn't focus on conformity and this feels liberating).

Cons

The Data Analytics team at Lyft is very autonomous, but this can lead to the sense that we're are not being put under external pressure to grow and improve. A lot of this motivation has to come from inside you. I'd only recommend working here if you feel personally motivated to perform, and to contribute to the future of human centric transportation.

The ride-sharing industry may look like a battle front, but Lyft feels like it's rejected this metaphor. I'm aware that I'm probably responsible at Lyft for the equivalent work of 4-5 people at Uber, who are probably each working 40-50% more hours than me. This feel rewarding (impact wise) but I almost crave higher expectations and standards.

The HR department feels like a black box and I'm disappointed by their tools and documentation. Coworker feedback should be completely separated from 360 performance and compensation reviews as there are huge incentive misalignments (if I give my coworker valuable suggestions for improvement, this feels like it could hinder them from getting rewarded appropriately.) This could just be because we're growing so fast and this system is new.

Advice to Management

1) This may be counter intuitive, but I think you should be making people treat this more seriously, and encourage harder and smarter work. Reward exceptional persistence with performance based compensation.

"Focus on product and customer experience"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lyft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I left my previous job working in Corporate Strategy for a growing software company to join Lyft as a Data Analyst 5 months ago. I was looking for an opportunity to drive growth in a company where product and customer experience came first, and while I had experience working in finance and executing executive-facing projects, I came in with little-to-no SQL and formal analytics experience.

Ramp-up time was a brutal exercise of multitasking and juggling requests from stakeholders, but it pushed my performance and execution to the next level, and I was (and am) empowered every step of the way to use my own judgement, time management and prioritization.

Pros include:

- fast paced work environment with a bias for action and learning by doing
    - opportunity for executive exposure and recognition
    - driving real business impact
    - personal empowerment and a work environment with little oversight (if that's your thing)
    - San Francisco HQ
    - perks--Lyft credit, food, happy hours, unlimited PTO

Cons

- Hyper headcount growth means that departments are quickly become siloed and quality mentorship is hard to come by
    - Dealing with multiple stakeholders is a constant exercise is managing expectations
    - Unclear what the future career development path will look and feel ($$$) like--challenge with any startup

"Cool company with Impactful Projects"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lyft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really interesting work with a really smart team. You will be given a lot of responsibility from the day you join and opportunities to be very impactful

Cons

sometimes things are a little chaotic due to the nature of it being a high intensity work environment. There isn't that much direction a lot of time, but different people will thrive or fail in that environment