Lyft Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • wear and tear on personal vehicle (in 55 reviews)

• The rating system is also a bit flawed (in 58 reviews)

1. "Overall Good but I do Have a Bone to Pick"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Nice riders, flexible schedule, paid on timer everytime

Cons

I don't understand why my rating should be affected for not accepting a Line ride that I have to drive 20-30 miles for to make $3.75. And then, after refusing the ride initially, I get the same ride again moments later so right there, two refusals which hurts on a PT schedule.

Advice to Management

Don't expect drivers to drive long distances for a Line fee and then give a bad rating because Acceptance Rate is low.

2. "People complain but I'm grateful to have this as an option."

Current Employee - Driver in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Driver in Miami, FL

I have been working at Lyft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work whenever you want. High pay when very busy. Meet different people from all walks of life.

Cons

Wear to car. Have to pay for gas, oil, car Washes etc. Some passengers are very rude.

"Not happy with Lyft -"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Great sign on bonus for new drivers.

Cons

Horrible rating system for drivers and they do not give feedback of any low rating you may encounter. After waiting 2 months for approval to drive for Lyft, I was threatened with DeActivation after the 12th ride due to Ratings. As a new driver, learning how to use the Lyft app (which does not provide accurate navigation) & adhere to their policies, threats of deactivation is horrible.

Advice to Management

Value your new drivers and explain ratings to riders. Also, give drivers feedback, not threats of deactivation without even telling them why they were deactivated or threatened.

4. "Lyft is a more fun and personable experience, but does not compare to Uber quite yet."

I worked at Lyft part-time

Pros

Stricter driver screening. Drivers earn slightly more per ride vs competitors. Riders are prompted to tip drivers. Overall more casual experience.

Cons

Customer base is not very large. Uber is the superior service in terms of total users. Fares typically cost more than Uber (Good for driver, bad for rider).

5. "Best Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lyft full-time

Pros

Lyft practices the lofty goals it aims for on a daily basis. Employees are some of the smartest in the business

Cons

Fast paced environment can lead to unclear expectations

6. "Lyft -- It's A'ight"

I have been working at Lyft part-time

Pros

You hustle, you get the $$$

Cons

No Hustle = No $$$

Advice to Management

Higher Per-Mile Average

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lyft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most friendly and rewarding working experience I've ever had!
    I had the opportunity to work on exciting projects.
    I collaborated with top engineers and designers in the field.
    My work had a big impact.
    Competitive salary and perks.
    Awesome office space.

Cons

If I had to pick one, it might be that everything is moving and changing very quickly due to Lyft's incredible growth.

"Express Drive Community Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lyft full-time

Pros

Resume builder for someone who has never worked in the startup industry.

Introduction to how chaotic a fancy looking startup company really is and the disorganization that keeps them running.

Google Doc proficiency will sky rocket.

Cons

Express Drive Community Associate job title should be changed to "Lyft Express Drive Human Punching Bag Associate", due to the amount of emotional and mental abuse that a CA experiences during their underpaid, 8 hours shift in the field. After working in the Service industry for almost 18 years, I have never felt more physically threatened by customers/drivers than I did while working in this position. Express Drive is the last resort for the majority of its participants to obtain a vehicle. All is required is a drivers license, $250 deposit and a cleanish DMV/Criminal background check.

Lyft hides behind the guise that their drivers are "Contract Workers" and therefore the CAs in the field are unable to refuse service to any of them. Countless times I was screamed at, physically intimidated, disrespected and generally harassed by the drivers, with little or no support from my managers. Managers were hesitant to ban drivers from using the Lyft platform, even after the drivers had displayed mentally unstable or malicious behavior towards CAs.

If you are researching any CONTRACT positions working for the Lyft company, I strongly recommend applying elsewhere. Find a company that actually values their hardworking contract workers and have a plan/set time period for contract to hire. Lyft strings their contract workers along for an undetermined amount of time for full time hiring. Not uncommon for contract CAs to be in a contract position for over a year before becoming full time. The top pay for the position ($18/hr) is laughable for the SF Bay Area and 99% of the contract CAs also drive for Lyft, on top of putting in 40 hours of fielding a nonstop barrage of disrespectful drivers.

Lastly, there is a major disconnect between "Full-Time" Lyft employees and "Contract" workers. When in the main Operations Hub it could be interpreted that the Full-Time employees view the Contract folks as inferior or just "the hired help". Not a very welcoming environment. I would encourage the upper Lyft management to provide their Operations Managers and Leads with some serious sensitivity and empathy training.

Overall, don't work in a contract position for Express Drive unless you enjoy an underpaid, degrading, end-of-the-line type of position that will not only ruin your mental health, but your physical health as you consume alcohol or drugs to deal with the stress of it.

Advice to Management

Respect and appreciate the gritty, front-lines work that your Community Associates do for you and the success of your company. Without people who grind it out in the field and deal with your "drivers/dollar signs" on a daily basis, you would have zero support. Structure a contract-to-hire process which has a time frame, goals and actually hire these hardworking people.

"People are great, fun environment, weak HR"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lyft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are incredible, and the main reason to be in the office. With a handful of exceptions, everyone is smart, caring, and wants the company to succeed. It is a very open culture with blameless incident review process within Engingeering.

Cons

It can be a hard place to navigate and move up if you don't have a good manager (I don't). HR is fairly useless if you want to switch teams and are being roadblocked by your manager. Recruiting is also extremely understaffed and not very effective at getting talent through the pipeline. Compensation across the org is a bit low.

Advice to Management

Take a more measured approach to product development. Too much work in Product/Eng is prioritized simply because an exec or a friend got annoyed by something. It gets teams off track and slows overall progress. Do more to make sure middle managers are supporting their teams as a primary goal, instead of just trying to build their own resume at the expense of others.

10. "Open Environment"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Lyft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very inclusive and open
    - Great medical benefits
    - Lyft credits

Cons

- Best job I have held!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Showing 193 of 1,064 reviews