Lyft Rideshare Driver Reviews | Glassdoor

Lyft CEO Logan Green
Logan Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Wear and tear on the car isn’t fun" (in 86 reviews)

• "poor rating system; inconsistent bonus system" (in 72 reviews)

1. "Rideshare Driver"

Current Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in San Diego, CA
    Current Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Lyft (More than a year)

Pros

Set my own schedule, meet tons of people, cash out whenever

Cons

Hard to make a good wage sometimes.

Advice to Management

You are doing pretty well!

2. "rideshare driver"

Current Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Lyft (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom from bosses, Freedom from set shifts, meeting lots of people, being introduced to many new places

Cons

People that smell weird, smoke, don't care for your vehicle as you do, long trips with little pay, initial drives to destinations can be up to 30min and no compensation

Advice to Management

compensate rides for drivers to at least $5.00 as oppose to $3.19. Those extra $2 will really help.

"Lyft Express Rental driver chasing $3.19 (estimated $4-7) fares in a $1k per month base model Kia Soul."

Current Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in Tampa, FL
    Current Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

I love to drive and find traffic only annoying. It is much better than many jobs; especially most salaried hospitality jobs, where you negotiate a salary, based on a lie you are told, about 45-50 hour work weeks and attainable bonuses, then consistently being forced to work 50-60 hours, w/ no additional compensation & everything is priced too low, to be profitable, so you rarely attain bonuses.

With Lyft, you can log in 12 plus hours/ 7 days a week and as long as you get rides pay adds up. Maintenance is included, so I've gotten 2 oil changes, they put tires and front wiper blades in around 15k miles driving (1k trips) June til first of October. Highest take home, before taxes, was $548 (60+ hours) Lowest was $215 (week 1, 36 hrs.) Average take home is around $300 before taxes, logged in for around 40hrs accepting 95-100% of requests consistently.

Cons

I've accepted that the rental rewards is a reward and a punishment. How? Because, the more long rides I get ($10++ fares paid to me,) the harder it gets to reach the $90 for 60 rides and $155/75 ride rewards. So, in essence success (good $$$ fares) gets punished with Lyft denying drivers rewards. There are no actual rewards for good behavior/5* service. The reward for driving 70 plus hours per week and inevitably driving drowsy is $155. The reward for maintaining 5* for 5 consecutive weeks.... nothing, unless you count platitudes and placating me with 10-15 "bonuses" when riders soak your seats with wet swim suits or treats you like dirt/ calls you a "f.. moron," when THEY put Ave instead of Street or the wrong address altogether.... Haven't seen a demand bonus in over a month, regardless how big the orange patch is on the map.

I'm not ok with working 60-70 hours per week, driving drowsy and endangering my life or the lives of those around me, getting 5-6 hours of sleep, sleeping in my car when necessary, not taking breaks to keep driving, using the restroom while holding my phone to avoid missing requests, driving people with babies and no car seat because I need the ride count....

I'm paying almost $1000 per mo for a <<$7000 base model Kia Soul with 56k miles and a couple of oil changes, wiper blades and some tires didn't make it worth it (all of which were necessary the day I got the car and didn't get done til my first inspection after 5k miles.) Insurance is included, but I'd have no way to cover the $2500 deductible, making what I make. Unless I drive 15-25 more hours per week and have zero life outside the Hertz Rental Car.

Support is vastly inferior to the othe ride share service. I've waited five days to be told sorry for your bad luck in getting that passenger who did... then getting an email basically saying ok since you are threatening to quit/ threatening to start a class action suit here's; $0.05 (a toll short payment) $14,$10,$25,$50.

Summary: They expect too much personal investment of irreplaceable life in exchange for too little monetary return. $1000 per week for 70+ hours isn't great money. It's a path to an early grave and a miserable existence. I'm like 40% reliant on generosity to get by and Lyft passengers are not generous on average.

Advice to Management

Pay drivers more than $3.19 for short rides and never take more than 45% of a fare. Pay $0.30 for wait time. Pay $0.09 driving time. Punish repeat offender passengers for bad behaviors like getting seats wet with bathing suits and not having child seats.... Perhaps more importantly, Stop forcing drivers to be so heavily reliant on passenger generosity and to drive tired chasing ride counts. Last and perhaps most importantly, good service and high acceptance rates should be rewarded. Quality is as important as quantity. Riders define you by the 4.8* drivers and you reward them more than many 5* drivers, because you strictly reward quantity.

4. "Modern slavery"

Current Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

N O N E

Cons

Too many... from the drunk passengers, to the $2.60 rides, the money you spend on gas etc it’s a scam. Like I said this is modern slavery, taking advantage of people that need a job. Never again.

Advice to Management

They don’t care enough for drivers to even want to share their “advice”.

"Drive your car in to the ground for peanuts"

Former Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in Nashville, TN
    Former Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in Nashville, TN

I worked at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Choose your own hours to work
    Some rides can end with an electronic "tip!"
    There are no more pros that I can think of

Cons

• Up to 2000 mile a week on your vehicle to make 600 to 700 if your lucky
    • Lyft takes up to 1/4 of your earnings
    • 1099 contract leaves you owing a huge tax bill...while Lyft makes a clean get-away with your money
    • Lyft provides no live support for drivers or passengers
    • Lyft can deactivate driver's for no reason...on a whim
    • Zero benefits

Advice to Management

Stop being right wing fascists and actually help your employees and potential employees.

"Horrible company-ZERO CONTACT-Unauthorized charges"

Former Contractor - Rideshare Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Contractor - Rideshare Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Lyft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You are a contractor and make your own schedule but you can do this with any ride share company.

Cons

Lyft pays less than Uber but at the time Uber didn't payout as often, lyft allowed you to cash out daily. I drive a 2015 Tahoe fully loaded and I woke up one morning to find out they had closed my account without notice and later sent an email that stated "safety issues" that's it, no addition details. I had over $600 in my lyft account I hadn't yet cashed out that they held due to them closing my account. I had no access to cash out. I then read blogs online and found out this wasn't rare and they closed contractor's accounts often without notice and held their earnings for 90 days. THEY HAVE NO CONTACT PHONE NUMBER OTHER THAN FOR EMERGENCIES AND THEY DONT RESPOND TO EMAILS. Unlike Uber they also don't have a store front you can walk into. They then deducted funds from my personal checking out where my deposits go and said there was an error in payment and over paid me but I have yet to receive any documentation. I am filing a civil suit against them. Read reviews online in a simple search for "lyft reviews" they charge unauthorized transactions on customer accounts too. I regret working for this company.

Advice to Management

There is no management or anyone you can contact.

"Best Side Job"

Current Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Make you own hours, Instant cash out at $50+, Use your own car.

Cons

Some days can be dry depending on your location.

8. "Lyft Driver in Tempe/Phoenix"

Current Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in Tempe, AZ
    Current Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Make your own hours, good customers (mostly)

Cons

Too much competition from other drivers, fares keep lowering

Advice to Management

My advice is to stop hiring so many new drivers. It used to be a great way to earn extra income, but every week it becomes less worth it to drive for this company.

9. "Fun gig, not a good full time gig in my town"

Current Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Freelancer - Rideshare Driver in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

You just drive around and talk to people. Tons of fun if you like those two things. People in my city are generally very pleasant to be around. Money can be really good.

Cons

Earnings are entirely dependent on market saturation in relation passenger demand. When it's over saturated you're making less than minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Set a minimum hourly, limit new driver influx, or expand advertising to increase passenger base. Take care of your veteran drivers and they will uphold the name.