Lyft "minimum wage" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lyft Employee Reviews about "minimum wage"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"You are not your own boss"

Current Freelancer - Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Freelancer - Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to make a few bucks. If you're willing to be treated like a second class citizen by Lyft and customers the whole time.

Cons

Can be sub-minimum wage.

You are not your own boss. Lyft hides important decision making factors from the drivers : historical request patterns, ability to set fares, you have no idea of your customer's destination before accepting a request. You are dinged if you don't accept it.

Passengers give a rating with no understanding what the system is. Drivers get deactivated for ratings that can be considered good.

Any complaint or low rating by a rider is accepted by Lyft at face value even though too many passengers seek free rides this way. Drivers get no real opportunity to rebut, except at Lyft's leisure. They may take days or months to reply to anything, if at all. If you are wrongfully deactivated based on a lie by a passenger looking for a free ride, you will find quickly they don't care about you or being fair in any form.

Drivers put in the work, the expense and shoulder financial risk for little to no reward.

Realize that the goal in rideshare is driverless cars, so they are not investing in their drivers.

Advice to Management

Treat drivers with a little bit of respect.

2. "Driving for Lyft"

Current Freelancer - Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Current Freelancer - Driver in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

I drive for Lyft because of its flexibility. I can sign on and off when I need to. The Lyft community is generally a great group of people.

Cons

The cons for driving for Lyft is that the wear and tear that is happening to your car are not being covered by the company and in the end, you make less than the federal minimum wage.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would for it to treat its independent contractors like they would treat their employees. The driving fleet is the legs of the operation.

3. "Drivers getting the shaft, low pay"

Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Boulder, CO
    Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Lyft (More than a year)

Pros

Most passengers are nice, and I meet some very interesting people. Passengers don't throw up in my car very often. Lyft is getting better with regard to drivers being able to contact them for help. I set my own schedule. I'm able to rent a car through Lyft/Hertz, because I don't own a car.

Cons

I can't really set my own hours, because I have to work very early in the morning and very late at night to get enough rides to earn any money. Not many rides are requested in the middle of the afternoon. Many passengers don't tip, and often I earn below minimum wage. The pay to drivers is way too low. Lyft takes a cut off the top, and then splits what is left with the driver. Lyft used to take 20 percent of what's left. Now they take more - 25 percent. The bonus Lyft pays toward the cost of the rental car has decreased several times. The minimum number of rides a driver must complete to get the rental cost bonus has gone up and up - to the point where it is almost unattainable. The cost of the rental car keeps going up - now $230 per week. Sometimes the app malfunctions, causing me to miss rides. Lyft aggressively recruits drivers to the point a Lyft driver is on every corner. So much driver competition means sometimes I get one ride per hour, and the average pay per ride is $4. If I drove around trying to get a ride instead of parking, I might have spent $3 on gas. If I park too long, Lyft kicks me off the app, and I have to move my car to log in again. The people who are happy working for Lyft are those who work in corporate offices. They probably get paid well. I work about 30-45 hours per week, and I take home about $500-800 per month. That's after paying about $720 per month for the rental car (after bonuses are credited). And that's before I pay taxes on my money earned. That's not a living wage. Lyft tells passengers the driver gets all the tip money when the passenger tips through the app. That's true - Lyft doesn't take any of it, but the driver has to pay taxes on it. Cash tips, though rare, are better. Sometimes I get home after a 9 hour shift of driving on busy freeways, and in downtown traffic, turning left and right, watching traffic lights, watching my GPS, avoiding pedestrians, concerning myself with my passenger's music and indoor temperature, holding a conversation, making sure my passengers aren't late for work, or don't miss their flights, and get home from the party safely, and I clean my car of the donut sprinkles they ate in my back seat and the dog hair they had on their shoes and the snot they wiped on the door handle, and I lay down and feel as if I'm still moving, and I feel very used, under appreciated, and underpaid. Five stars doesn't support me and my daughter.

Advice to Management

Pay your drivers more. Quit double-dipping in drivers pay by taking a cut off the top, and then taking 25 percent before paying drivers. Do one or the other, not both. Pay drivers 80 percent commission, instead of 75 percent - you can afford it. Stop recruiting so many drivers. Not enough passengers exist for the number of drivers you have. My deductible on auto insurance for your rental car is $2,500. Find better insurance for your drivers. Educate passengers about how little drivers earn, and why passengers need to tip a driver who has provided good service. Even fifty cents is better than nothing. Some passengers can't afford to tip, I understand.... but almost every passenger can afford fifty cents or twenty five cents. Even that would add up. If Lyft would pay drivers more, tips wouldn't be such a big deal, and drivers could rest assured they would earn a decent living that week. More advice to management... reduce the cost of rental cars. When the new year comes, and the car is one year older - reduce the rental fee. Give drivers the choice of a new car at a higher rate, or a 4 year old car at a lower rate. Lower the minimum number of rides required to receive a rental bonus. Show drivers where the passenger is going before the driver accepts the ride. If I have to pick up my daughter in an hour and a half, I can't take a 2+ hour ride to the airport. So you say, "then don't drive, log out." I can't log out two hours before I need to get off work every day. I wouldn't earn any money that way. Also, quit cancelling rides when you think a driver isn't moving toward their passenger. Sometimes a driver is headed in the wrong direction when the ride is requested, or they are in the left turn lane when the new ride request requires a right turn. The driver needs to find a safe place to turn around. Same goes for passengers cancelling rides. Sometimes your driver needs to turn around. Sometimes a u-turn is unsafe or illegal. Sometimes a railroad track is between the driver and the passenger, and the driver needs to go to where a road crosses the track. Passengers (and the app) need to have some patience. Lyft needs to educate passengers about this. Drivers know they are being used and abused until the day self-driving cars are on the road, and drivers will be cast aside. That's a crappy feeling - that we have helped to build a mega company and will be disposed of. That's a crappy reputation you are building. You claim to be lifting people up by allowing them the opportunity to be a driver on your platform, but you are not. If you really wanted to Lyft them up, you could bonus them shares of stock or vesting in company ownership. That would change the whole game. Right now - the way it is - drivers are getting the shaft, and corporate people are becoming uber rich. Lyft's business model is terrible for the drivers. Just like most other large corporations, you are stepping on the little guys to get where you are going. Look at Chobani Yogurt's business model. The workers got a stake in the company. The company actually cares about the workers who made them what they are. The workers actually care about the company. It's a win-win. Lyft should take note, and appreciate the people who helped them reach and exceed their goals.

"Essentially unprotected below minimum wage work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Lyft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I guess the customers that told me I was worth more than this job

Cons

Well.....They'll manipulate words and time clocks to try to hide the fact that the pay has been halved in the last year. They'll also allow customers to verbally abuse and racially degrade you (the number of times I heard how bad "white people " are and how bad "americans" are, as I drive them to and fro for a pittance, is far beyond what you might expect). If you set any boundary with a customer or present any facts, i.e. "my father is an 'old white man' and he's done a lot of good in the world', they can retaliate through the ratings system and threaten your job.
          These jobs are sold as "hey get a little extra money, kid!", but the reality is you have to drive A LOT to make much beyond your expenses. That means, it really is a full time or near full time job, with zero benefits, zero accountability by management, zero customer accountability and all of the liability shifted to the minimum wage or below minimum wage worker.
          Lyft tries to present itself as an advocate for social awareness and 'diversity', but they are only in the game of rapacious 'screw the worker' capitalism. Not judging, just making it clear.
         ALSO please note: the majority of positive reviews are at the engineer level, or are false reviews placed by HR. Most drivers rate this work as degrading at best.
        Realistically, Taxi's were a way better deal for drivers and would be better for everyone if they could just catch up with a better hailing system, i.e. Flywheel.

Advice to Management

I know that you are just screwing everyone until you have self driving cars. Luckily I have a career lined up that is ACTUALLY rewarding and ACTUALLY socially conscious.
    Keep up the good work with your sociopathically Orwellian PR!

5. "Company has no liability and takes no responsibility, does not care about drivers"

Former Freelancer - Driver in Denver, CO
    Former Freelancer - Driver in Denver, CO

I worked at Lyft (More than a year)

Pros

You set your own hours (but you only make decent money if you drive at surge times)

Cons

There are so many Lyft drivers that the company does not care about you or your well-being or if you are making any money whatsoever. They only care about customers and they make that very clear. Had a passenger damage my car and when I filled out a damage report the passenger lied and said that there was “unwanted physical contact.” I never touched the passenger or got out of the car or said anything rude whatsoever. The passenger screamed at me about it being a line ride and how it was taking forever. It was snowing and a lot of snow on the road so it did take a little longer. I was nothing but nice and the passenger left pieces of food all over the backseat of my car and greasey stains on the interior. It was obvious that the passenger was trying to get out of paying for the damage or they were angry and wanted to get back at me. Lyft suspended me for three weeks without responding to any of my questions or concerns- they did not answer one of my questions. It felt like an automated bot, they said they were investigating it and then decided to put me back on the platform, with a warning. The bottom line is as a driver you have all of the liability. You are using your own car, your insurance, your own money to clean your car, your own gas money. You get the blame for anything that goes wrong with the ride or if there is a passenger who is intoxicated or biligerant, you have to try to figure out how to deal with situations that are potentially dangerous and could dock your pay or get you suspended because Lyft does not hear your side of the story or respond to you in a way that makes you feel heard or validated. This is not a company I can put my trust in. Another thing is that you have a $2000 deductible if you do happen to get in an accident, which is more of a possibility if you are driving all day to make minimum wage, you will basically spend everything you made in a month driving to fix your car. The company takes advantage of drivers left and right, meanwhile they never lose any money or take hits. Drivers get blamed, Lyft gets off every time. Drivers don’t get paid enough in a lot of areas, you are waiting for a long time to get requests and driving around to surge areas and right when you get there the surge stops or moves further away. This happened to me more often then actually getting a ride in the surge areas. Super frustrating experience and I had high hopes for it being a positive part time job. I started out really liking Lyft as a company and now I’m not a fan and feel like they are just another money hungry corporation taking advantage of people

Advice to Management

Take some responsibility as a company to protect drivers and make communications more effective. Pay drivers more and stop hiring every person who applies to be a driver. There are too many drivers on the road and everyone is sitting and waiting to get a ride request, barely making minimum wage

"Not so great"

Former Contractor - Contractor in Portland, OR
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Portland, OR

I worked at Lyft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Schedule work around what you need to get done for the day.
    Paid weekly
    Time for solitude

Cons

Had to work during rush hours and when the 9-5 humans are having fun so really not so much flexibility and there was no limit to the drivers that could be out on the road so wait times could be unbearable.
    Usually made less than minimum wage after expenses

7. "Too many drivers not enough riders"

Current Freelancer - Part-time Driver in Portland, OR
    Current Freelancer - Part-time Driver in Portland, OR

I have been working at Lyft (More than 3 years)

Pros

There isn't any. The company doesn't care for the drivers making money

Cons

The drivers outnumber the passengers. There are times when I make way below minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring so many drivers and start marketing to get more passengers to use the app.

"Started Out Nicely..."

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Dallas, TX
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Lyft (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours
    can work as much as needed to pay the bills

Cons

after factoring tolls, gas, maintenance, pay is more like minimum wage
    cheap passengers
    rating system
    lyft changes the "Power Driver" bonus on a whim, well it's to make it more difficult for you to earn extra

Advice to Management

Have all "bonus" available in order. They don't accumulate anyways so what are you losing, unless you don't want to pay? $20, $50, $70, $110, etc etc.

9. "Do not drive , period!"

Current Freelancer - Driver in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Freelancer - Driver in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I’m sorry, this is not work. There are no pros.

Cons

Do not believe any positive reviews written here. They are written by LYFT employees, not drivers. This is a less than minimum wage job. It is not honorable. They deceive people, exploit the elderly and desperate and do not care about the driver. Their only goal is to provide pennies to the dollar rides to people. I repeat, this is a less than minimum wage job.

Advice to Management

No advice, I just hope you and everyone around you are out of a job soon. Your company is a disgrace, you exploit people and anybody with a shred of self respect would not drive, period. This is not an honorable way of working. It is modern day slavery.

10. "No money driving for Lyft"

Current Freelancer - Driver in San Diego, CA
    Current Freelancer - Driver in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Lyft (More than a year)

Pros

Pick your own hours I guess but to make any money you'll have to drive drunks around town?

Cons

The business plan for the company is very profitable I'm sure and the clients experience good service and value. Drivers get screwed by getting paid much less than minimum wage and after depreciation and costs sometimes you work for lyft and end up losing money.

Advice to Management

Pay the drivers enough to make more than minimum wage or you'll face the prospect of demand ...........without the ability to supply that demand.

Showing 38 of 1,241 reviews