Lyft "rating system" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lyft Employee Reviews about "rating system"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Stressful job"

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, make up your own hours. You can meet some good people. You get to learn more about your city and state way around.

Cons

The pay is not so good. After taxes and car maintenance expenses, you are left with minimum pay.

The rating system is unfair. Most passenger think a 4 star is a good rating and won’t affect the drivers. Passengers has too much power to get a driver deactivated with out any explanation

Advice to Management

Raise the pay, charge more for ride.
    Fix the rating system. Riders should allowed to give a 4 star or lower without feedback.

"driver"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Can have flexible schedule , work as much as you can.

Cons

not much income, gas and wear tear of car , and rating system sucks, drunk passengers with smell and rates driver poor.

Advice to Management

Should review your rating system. some drivers depend on you.

"Drivers should strike for a better ratings system."

Current Freelancer - Driver in Denver, CO
    Current Freelancer - Driver in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lyft (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule.
    Meeting interesting and varied people.
    Helping people get where they need to go.
    Being in the outdoors, away from a desk.
    Learning about various destinations, and seeing various areas.

Cons

Drivers have no voice. Lyft provides the technology, and drivers are just disposable contractors with disposable cars, and disposable concerns. Once you're deactivated who cares about your concerns. Lyft management seems to think if you have concerns you should be deactivated soon enough.

If you haven't heard, the rating system stinks...which is why I don't invest all my time in Lyft. I'm very particular about when and how I drive to keep my ratings high. You might get 35 five-star ratings but two or three low ratings can put you on the brink of deactivation.

Advice to Management

I used to believe in the motto "Your friend with a car". Lyft has left that vision behind. Drivers must be each passengers dream driver, not a good friend. We are becoming your friend with a sound system thats flawless, a great car with a circus inside, great water, great candy, great conversationalist, and who doesn't care how much of a distraction or damage you cause because your friend with a car can't lose one star. So drink your beer, don't fasten your seatbelt, ruin my stereo,...because stars are all that matter, until drivers decide to have their voice heard.

"Would be very good, except the rating system ruins everything"

Current Freelancer - Driver in Seattle, WA
    Current Freelancer - Driver in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible scheduling, acceptable pay

Cons

Rating system is unfair and causes good drivers to be deactivated; passengers frequently give low ratings for petty reasons, and we are seldom given feedback when this happens.

Advice to Management

Passengers should be required to give a written explanation any time they give less than five stars, and all ratings should default to five stars if the rider does not give a rating within 24 hours of the ride.

"Not happy with Lyft -"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Great sign on bonus for new drivers.

Cons

Horrible rating system for drivers and they do not give feedback of any low rating you may encounter. After waiting 2 months for approval to drive for Lyft, I was threatened with DeActivation after the 12th ride due to Ratings. As a new driver, learning how to use the Lyft app (which does not provide accurate navigation) & adhere to their policies, threats of deactivation is horrible.

Advice to Management

Value your new drivers and explain ratings to riders. Also, give drivers feedback, not threats of deactivation without even telling them why they were deactivated or threatened.

"Started Out Nicely..."

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Dallas, TX
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Lyft (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours
    can work as much as needed to pay the bills

Cons

after factoring tolls, gas, maintenance, pay is more like minimum wage
    cheap passengers
    rating system
    lyft changes the "Power Driver" bonus on a whim, well it's to make it more difficult for you to earn extra

Advice to Management

Have all "bonus" available in order. They don't accumulate anyways so what are you losing, unless you don't want to pay? $20, $50, $70, $110, etc etc.

"Starting to have regrets"

Former Freelancer - Driver in Westerly, RI
    Former Freelancer - Driver in Westerly, RI

I worked at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    No dress code
    No paperwork
    Meet interesting people
    Opportunity to make decent income
    Everything is a tax write off

Cons

Horrendous driver rating system
    Driver anxiety due to fear of deactivation from low rating
    Cheap no-tipping passengers
    No passenger accountability
    No compensation for long trips to pick up someone for a short ride

Advice to Management

I’ve been a Lyft driver for a relatively short time. Let me start by saying that I’ve been a taxi driver for 10+ years, so I know how this industry works. I received very few customer complaints in all my years as a taxi driver, most when I was a newbie.

Lyft et al are simply a high tech way to hail a cab, while cutting out the middleman (taxi company owners) which is great for the customers, ok for the drivers, and bad news for the cab company owners. But who cares about the taxi owners? They’ve been ripping off people forever. Rideshare has revolutionized the personal-transportation industry.

Aside from my issues with the Waze app (more on that later), my most pressing concern is Lyft’s awful driver rating system. In my short time as a Lyft driver, I have done everything within my power to make the passengers’ Lyft experience a positive one. Yet when I get my weekly summary email from Lyft I will see an under 4.9 star rating and get nervous. Last week it was deemed ‘needs improvement’ at a 4.79 stars. Holy anxiety, Batman! I’ve driven a cab for years. This is my livelihood. I gave up a secure job to drive for Lyft and now I am starting to have serious regrets.

In any other context, 4 out of 5 ain’t all that bad. Most passengers who left me a 4-and-under rating didn’t say why. How can I make corrections if I don’t know what I’m doing wrong? Maybe I didn’t do anything wrong and these pax left poor ratings ‘just because’ ? I have no way of knowing.

My suggestion to Lyft management is to discount low ratings that don’t offer an explanation, and don’t hold these low ratings against the driver’s overall rating. Or match driver ratings with passenger ratings? JUST MAKE IT FAIR.

Just for laughs I looked on Craigslist Transport Jobs and saw over half the posts were make-$1500-a-week-driving-for-Lyft spam. (Yeah, right lol) Is it because Lyft can’t keep drivers due to an impossibly high standard? Or some other reason? Just saying.

Now for Waze.. it needs to be fixed, ASAP. I believe the Waze app may be causing at least some of my low navigation ratings. I’ll explain why.

The Waze app maps weird routes and tries to take me the wrong way down one way streets, and will show the pax to be in a place where they are not located. I have trouble finding some pax, and this doesn’t look good for my navigation skills. (This prevents me from driving at night, because it is so much harder to find people, and I am losing money.) Also, if someone wants to be picked up at a business, PLEASE have them state the name of the business, not the street number only! So many businesses do not display their street number on the building. When the pax calls for a Lyft, please ask them if it is a business, what the business name is, or any landmarks that will make it easier for the driver to find them. This is just common sense.

Also, once the pax is in the car, Waze will display the street name and number, but not the city. Where I live, lots of cities have the same street names. When I ask the pax what city, I look stupid. That can’t possibly help my driver ratings, and again, beyond my control. But enough about Waze, I’m sure you get the point.

Finally, I need to ask Lyft about the pax queue. When a pax calls for a Lyft and put in my queue, is that pax informed that I already have someone on board? I have had queued pax actually call or text me and inform me that I am going in the wrong direction, away from them. I have to explain that I have someone in the car and I will pick them up as soon as I can. Wondering if this leads to lower ratings?

Lyft management, I realize this is more of a dissertation than a review, but it’s for real and I hope you take what I’ve written into consideration for improving Lyft for drivers. If not, maybe I can get my old job back.

Before anyone makes a snarky comment about me being a cabbie and not knowing my way around, just understand that Lyft takes me out of the areas I am familiar with. That’s what gps is for. Thanks for reading.

"Reviews Will Send me to Uber"

Current Freelancer - Driver

I have been working at Lyft (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, prime zones, app seems easy, I am new though.

Cons

The cons are the stupid GPS that sends you idiotic ways. No, we dont know every turn and street in every corner of town by heart... and the Rating System is nonsense. I have not had one complain, every ride has been friendly, Ive gotten tips, I have been fast, except when they send me 30 minutes away for a 3 dollar fare... .and it seems u have no way to know what you are accepting for a fair before you drive all the way out there.... and none of the ratings give me any clue what I could improve on. I honestly have no idea.

Advice to Management

Make riders select a tip for improvement as part of leaving a rating, otherwise how do we know? You don't want us to drive for you anymore simply because a passenger waited 30 minutes, even though Imthe only one who did not cancel on them and still showed up?

"Driving for Lyft"

Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy/fast money
    Work whenever you wish

Cons

The rating system is a bunch of bull-honkey. Lyft passengers don't understand that there may be so few drivers out and for them to be able to vote 3 or fewer stars, just gives them one less driver who could've taken their call. No one ever tells us what we did wrong so we can try and improve it and with Lyft constantly having this sign up saying "4.6 stars or less; you are at risk for deactivation," doesn't help. This is our livelihoods being messed with and it just isn't fair! Ratings need to end!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the stupid rating system. It makes us not want to work because we are paranoid that we will lose our job over a stupid point system. Half of the people we get are drunk or complete jerks and of course they're going to rate us poorly when we have done nothing wrong!

"Rating system"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Flexible hours, plenty of opportunity to earn extra cash per ride,

Cons

The rating system is terrible. you're put on a 5 point scale where anything below 5 is seen a bad. if you're below a 4.6 you're at risk of getting fired. it seems that the rating system is not explained to customers so if they give you a 4 (which is most cases would mean good but not perfect) you rating can plummet. and getting that rating back up is a slog out of all my reviews I've gotten 28 5 star reviews and 7 below 4 star and my rate still hasn't gone up to where it should be. In addition you have no real way to check you're rating, see where you've gone wrong and where you can improve.

Advice to Management

Reassess you're rating system it is wildly unfair and give customers to much power of your drivers lively hood. We need better means of feed back a weekly summery with one comment from one review does not cut it and you have a lot of good people on the road that are being shafted because of how unbalanced you're rating system is. I mean what is the point of having a 5 star system when being at below 5 stars is basically the same as being at one star.

Showing 70 of 1,468 reviews