Lyft "rating system" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lyft Employee Reviews about "rating system"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Rating system"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Flexible hours, plenty of opportunity to earn extra cash per ride,

Cons

The rating system is terrible. you're put on a 5 point scale where anything below 5 is seen a bad. if you're below a 4.6 you're at risk of getting fired. it seems that the rating system is not explained to customers so if they give you a 4 (which is most cases would mean good but not perfect) you rating can plummet. and getting that rating back up is a slog out of all my reviews I've gotten 28 5 star reviews and 7 below 4 star and my rate still hasn't gone up to where it should be. In addition you have no real way to check you're rating, see where you've gone wrong and where you can improve.

Advice to Management

Reassess you're rating system it is wildly unfair and give customers to much power of your drivers lively hood. We need better means of feed back a weekly summery with one comment from one review does not cut it and you have a lot of good people on the road that are being shafted because of how unbalanced you're rating system is. I mean what is the point of having a 5 star system when being at below 5 stars is basically the same as being at one star.

"Not sure what this means"

Former Freelancer - Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Freelancer - Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any pros!

Cons

This is a company where you never see a human being. All application and acceptance processes are entirely on line, although I'm under the impression that Amazon Flex, to which I am contemplating applying, operates the same way. At Lyft all the help you get is by writing to their help desk, which is reasonably good at assistance, but often you wait a long time before getting a reply, which sometimes means the help is too late.

The worst thing about Lyft is that they have a rating system for drivers which tells you nothing helpful in terms of improving alleged faults. They appear to rely a great deal on complaints from your passengers, although you can also complain about your riders. There are other gauges they appear to use to rate you, but they are never adequately explained, nor are you ever given any input in terms of performance improvement. You never know why you are being rated down and when you reach a certain low level on their gauges, (which appear on feedback, but you have no idea on what they are based) you are simply peremptorily fired, with no explanation and no recourse to discuss the matter. Lyft's pay is substantially lower than that of Veyo, for which I worked later.

Advice to Management

Do something to interact more meaningfully with your drivers and give them real information about their performance and ways of improving.

"Looking forward to working for a game changer"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Lyft as a contractor

Pros

Flexible schedule, meeting new people, exploring the city

Cons

Rating system, of course.

Some drivers say that they like Lyft because it "cares about their drivers". Apart from the customer service representatives who usually gave timely responses via emails, I never felt "taken care of". Rating system is deeply flawed. I've read other drivers' feedback and they said it all. There's a huge miscommunication gap between drivers, Lyft and passengers - too much power to passengers, well, because they pay.

Nice convos, smiles and seemingly smoothly going rides - and low ratings without any feedback on what has gone "wrong" (according to a passenger). No explanations given to passengers as to how Lyft works FROM THE DRIVER'S PERSPECTIVE. I didn't know or understand much when being a passenger (like why Waze is taking your weird streets because it thinks this will save you 30! secs).

Passengers see drivers as someone who cannot do anything else besides driving (while many drivers have other jobs and businesses) and somehow it translates into treating drivers as an escort who has to satisfy your unspoken needs... and you can still hit those 3 starts just cause you can.

Looking forward to see how Lyft and Uber finally stop competing for quantity and start focusing on quality when another rival shows up.

A company that will listen to their drivers, treat them with respect (because you should stand for your employees?), reinforce mutual respect and accountability between riders and drivers (through a fair and effective rating system and background checks for passengers as well) and offer adequate incentives for drivers who strive for providing a quality service.

"Great Part Time Gig"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

If you drive during prime time you can really make bank which is great for people in between jobs.

Cons

This new driver app has so many glitches. Also don't like the rating system because if you get one bad review it will completely ruin your overall score.

Advice to Management

Love the incentives

"Change the Rating System"

Current Freelancer - Driver in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Freelancer - Driver in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

I love the flexibility that driving for Lyft gives me to create my own schedule and thereby my own income. I get to meet a lot of wonderful people.

Cons

The rating system is garbage. I understand and appreciate the concept, but I went from a 5.0 to a 4.7 almost overnight, and despite searching for and implementing ways to improve my performance as a driver and the overall experience for the passenger, I can't bring up my rating because passengers don't get that even a 4 star can be terrible. It's stressful and I'm constantly worried about it.

Advice to Management

Change your driver rating system. I want to keep driving for you, as I'm sure many do, but so long as the current system is in place and passengers don't understand it (or simply choose to indulge a bad mood), you're going to keep losing drivers because they simply cannot fulfill your impossible system.

6. "Lyft driver"

Current Freelancer - Driver in San Jose, CA
    Current Freelancer - Driver in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Lyft (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, after they lowered the rates flexible schedule is the only pro.

Cons

Low pay, I have been doing driving part time for a lyft for three years now and the app has gotten worse when it comes to passenger location. Also the rating system the passengers expect way too much for such low pay. Also when you're doing an Lyft Line most the time you get the signed a second passenger at the most in opportune times making the ride very stressful and A dangerous distraction.

Advice to Management

Driver pay and safety should be peppermint insurance number one concern.

"Stressful"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Great hours. Fun job.

Cons

In-app navigation is frequently inaccurate and sometimes doesn't recognize one way streets. Driver rating system allows passengers to rate within categories that have intangible thresholds.

Advice to Management

Improve the rating system that determines if drivers remain employed. Passengers can make unverified claims to support an unjustifiably low rating. Whether their rating is supported by reviews from other riders with the same driver, their low rating is factored into the driver's average rating. Also, many riders likely do not know that 4 out of 5 stars will get drivers fired.

"Stupid and Stressful Ratings System from Terrible Passengers; Terrible Pay"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Flexibility is great. I can drive before and after work and on weekends whenever I want.
    The Lyft pay is better than Uber. Minimum in Atlanta for Uber is $3.75 while Lyft is $5.00
    Uber will help you lease a vehicle at a decent rate that you can then use to drive for Lyft for better fares.
    Surge Rates/Peak Time can help you earn more if you are having a hard time earning and finding riders.

Cons

There are so, so many cons.

Additional car insurance coverage and gas are HUGE blows to whatever earnings you manage to make. I can’t fathom how someone with less than 30MPG gas efficiency could ever make it. Taxes returns may even things out for me, but not even sure about that because I have a high tax bracket with my normal job and real estate holdings included.
    Lyft’s rental program is a lot more expensive. It is also next to impossible to reserve a car (I did try for about 2 weeks without luck).
    The work is flexible, but only to a limit. If you have a real life and job and only have the weekday hours of 10am - 4pm to drive for example, in Atlanta you will not survive on Lyft alone due to very, very low demand during those times and due to over-saturation of Uber users who tend to be more affluent during that time. Lyft still has way less market share, remember. Lyft riders typically are going to work and school during rush hour while the daytime riders on Uber don’t work and are going shopping and to do other non-essential things. Because of this, Lyft riders are much “crabbier” and rude. There have been times where I had to bite my tongue HARD to keep from biting passengers’ heads off because of their needless rudeness. It is almost like they KNOW you have to be REALLY nice to them and kiss their derrieres. Understand This: You will have much worse reviews on Lyft from mean passengers overall, especially in minority neighborhoods. Avoid poor areas if you want to protect your ratings, not get fired, and not be scared for your safety alot. One reason passengers are mean is because the roads are usually terrible in minority neighborhoods thanks to discriminatory actions at the government levels (I work Civil Rights issues in the transportation industry at the government level), and you will hit a lot of pot holes and other road problems the passengers will blame you for rolling over frequently. Avoid the areas if you know what is good for you. Yea it is kinda wrong to avoid the areas, but it is really also kind of unfair to drivers to have to deal with mean people who take their problems and shortcomings out on you as a driver. These are the people who need driverless car rides. I am African-American woman living in those same communities and feel very strongly about this. I avoid my own area which is still gentrifying as well because prostitution and drug rides can be a problem and scary not too many miles from my place, too. It is what it is…sad but true. The socioeconomic issues that make rides in these areas undesirable should be resolved and addressed by elected officials and policy-makers, not Lyft drivers trying to “make a difference”. I mean please…give us a break. Overall the riders have strange and attitudinal issues on Lyft more than Uber. They expect you to buy them drinks and candy apparently or else you are a bad driver on top of everything else…(what the hell world do we live in!!??). I am not sure what I do wrong to be honest because a lot of riders will just rate you poorly but not say why. The fact remains that I get disproportionatelty bad ratings from people a lot when driving in minority areas and especially from Black Women in Atlanta. It seems that riders who tend to give bad ratings and areas that tend to do the same should be on some sort of curve for ratings. I notice that problem riders do tend to have low ratings, but if you weed them out you will get less rides and end up earning even less. As a periodic rider before I started to drive, I didn’t understand the rating system and thought 4 starts was good. As a driver, I now see that it is just as bad as 1 star pretty much. For instance, 18 5-star ratings and 2 4 star can lead to terrible ratings, trust me. I had 4.7 stars and thought it was OK until I saw in the app that I will be ask risk for being fired if it slips to 4.6! I mean…wow. At least 4 should be the mark. Also, why aren’t the poorly rated passengers kicked out? Now I drive around worried I am doing something wrong and whether or not the passenger I picked up is mean spirited. That is mentally draining. I have a perfect driving record and am very friendly by most accounts. I keep that driving record by not speeding too much and by obeying traffic laws, something I thought Lyft appreciated. However, for the few that do leave feedback, Lyft continues to accept low ratings of me from passengers who complain that I drive too “slow”. THAT floored me. I generally go 10 over the speed limit like most Americans, but in Atlanta apparently most people are used to doing 25+ over sometimes right in front of police. If it is raining and thick with rush hour traffic I may drive the actual speed limit. How is that wrong? It isn’t my fault that passengers request rides late and are running behind; why should I drive aggressively and unsafely to appease them? Also, sometimes passengers expect to be entertained by talking to me; I can’t always talk when concentrating on rough traffic and horrible, rough Atlanta roads full of ripples, bumps, and potholes. Well, if I get quiet sometimes they say I am unfriendly in the feedback…as if! Lastly, Atlanta is a small place with alot of traffic. It is only 14 miles across, and public transit is worse than terrible. That said, rides tend to be short, very short; however, you as a driver STAY sitting in traffic at any random time and place but especially during rain and rush hour. Passengers get mad while sitting and blame it on you while you earn a paltry 10 cents per minute struggling through traffic for (usually) meager mileage earnings as well. The average ride amount is about $6.00 I find, not the $11.00 average you find summarized online and CERTAINLY not the $35 you see advertised. The actual earning amounts are really at slave wage levels when you factor in "wear-and-tear" on both your vehicle and mental state due to dealing with all the stress inducers. The rides have low fares because of the war between Uber an Lyft so it seems to be a reality for the long-haul. Don’t be fooled, even when you are rated 5 stars you will barely get tips on Lyft. Whereas on Uber the more affluent riders tend to tip in cash much more and are appreciative when you do things for them like take them through ATMs and Drive-Throughs or wait long periods of time or if they have a really short ride that they know won’t earn you much and that they know is wasting your time. The bottom line for both Uber and Lyft is that most people can do better financially and have less stress working at Wal-mart or McDonalds for minimum wage instead. Or better yet, go back to school and get a skill that will earn you real money and a job with salary and fringe benefits. The only appeal to me is really the flexibility and the slight potential for a bonus here and there. At my real jobs, I make about $55 per hour, so mentally it is VERY hard to keep working for such low wages and not at all being appreciated. I tried this work so I can pay for a really nice honeymoon and new kitchen for my family. My morale is in the toilet after 3 weeks of this stuff. Uber pays even less, but at least ratings tend to be much better there making it less stressful. I am at 4.95 stars on Uber and drive for both during the same hours. I am the same driver, though, so why are my ratings on Lyft in the toilet? Go figure. I thought this could be a good solution to saving some extra cash for going out to have fun and vacations long-term after I finish paying for my kitchen and honeymoon, but I honestly do not think it is worth the extra stress and time away from my life. If Uber paid better, I could do it, but I just won’t let myself be taken advantage of like this for long. After my lease is up with Uber in 6 months, I am totally quitting…The rideshare game is bad way to earn money in general just like a typical Taxi would be. That is my basic summary. If you want to earn money driving, look into getting your CDL certification instead. They pay better and you don’t get abused by customers. My dad did it after retiring from the military and was able to retire again within 6 years…try it if you don’t want to go to school long-term and still want to drive and make real money.

Advice to Management

Work on engagement with your riders. We don't want free icecream and sandwiches at your stupid little time-wasting events; we want fair wages and less stress. That is like giving out a free turkey worth $30 at Christmas instead of a real bonus that should have been $3000. Get a clue; seriously. How do you NOT expect to have high turnover with drivers? And, yes, now I see why you want to go “driverless” ASAP. Good Luck with that.

"Rating System"

Current Freelancer - Driver
    Current Freelancer - Driver

Pros

Good Company, and I enjoy being a driver.

Cons

Rating system isn't fair. The passengers do not understand the rating system. I am very polite and greet every passenger. I smile and try to make conversation. I went from a 5.0 to a 4.7 pretty much over night. I think it gives the passengers too much power. They can give drivers a bad rating for no reason. In turn that effects the driver and his/ her job.

Advice to Management

Please change the rating system.

"Driver"

Former Freelancer - Driver in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Freelancer - Driver in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Tips are allowed and given.

Cons

Not enough compensation for the wear and tear on the vehicle. The rating system is also a bit flawed. I found that the persons I would try my best with in starting a conversation or being courteous would be the only individuals who would rate me as being unfriendly. The friendly people would not leave this type of rating. I always the quiet one word individuals and thats fine, some people don't want to talk but, to leave an unfriendly rating was not accurate. I had more good rides than bad.

Advice to Management

provide perks that drivers of newer vehicles can use. most of the perks were for drivers who have had their vehicles awhile. persons who purchase newer vehicles to do the job may not want to use second hand perks on a new car.

Showing 71 of 1,584 reviews