Lyft "rating system" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lyft Employee Reviews about "rating system"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Outrageous"

Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and the sort of independence that gives you

Cons

You'll go straight to food stamps if your only source of incomes relies on driving for this company. I'm in Vegas and I only get to make between 60-80 $ a day while being between 6-8 hours on the road. In Vegas!! Be aware also that this is before taxes.

On top of that, the rating system will eat you alive. Passengers are downrating the living hell out of anybody for any good reason, just because they can. You manage to get a 5 star rating from a dozen of passengers and a couple of negative ratings make your overall rating get dangerously close to the deactivation zone which is 4.6, yes, no 4 but an unreasonable high 4.6. Then they're crying because they don't have drivers. Ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Promote some agorism. What the hell are you doing? Are you really forcing people to give and receive tips through the app? Isn't enough the low pay so you also want our tips taxated by the same government that push to get your company out of the market to satisfied unionized cab drivers?

"The rating is suck"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Im wondering if the passengers knows how is the rating system work ,I smiled to every passengers , I never gone the wrong way, always say thank you and have a good day after the trip and my rating just start dropping everyday, my rating was 4,5 today just dropped to 4,2 because of the passenger rated me poorly cause she left her ID card in my car , i reported to lyft ( lost and found ) immediately when I saw it. After few hours lyft contacted me said they found the passenger who left the id , then I said I would send her id back in the mail and ask for the conformation. Then someone from lyft replied me she wanted the id right away , it is too long to receive from the mail. So,I offer her to come to the starburst near to my house to get her ID anytime from today and tomorrow, but I did not see any reply from her. I checked my rating earlier, it is just drop from 4,5 to 4,2 , today I just only have 2 trips , I got tips from the first trip, that is mean I would not have poorly rating from the first one. It means the women rated me poorly because I can't retune her lost Item immediately. And my house is far away from her house like 42mis. I spent all day to texting , reaching the lost and found to get a chance to return the id to her and not even my fault to make me to forgot the id in my car. Now only I have is the poorly rating from someone u try to help them to get their lost items.

Cons

Unfair rating system for driver

"Worst company to work for"

Former Contractor - Driver in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Contractor - Driver in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Lyft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- Yay you can set your own schedule

- You can drive your own car

- You can choose to be paid in as little of a few minutes if needed.

Cons

- Market is over saturated with drivers

- You can be fired from lying customers even if you have a police report and a dash cam.

- Drunks will eventually throw up in your car

- Rating system is just retarded 4 star is like a one star

- Customer service sucks (can't call anyone and actually talk to someone)

- Lyft doesn't care about their own company policy you get fired regardless. They don't even have the common decency to even say you are fired they just deactivate your account and that's it, they don't care what you have to say. (You either suck it up and let the customers threaten you and treat you like trash or get fired for kicking them out of your car)

- You have to have special insurance on top of your normal car insurance.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your drivers and quit treating them like disposable trash

"Great pay but stressed to lose job"

Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Union, Union, NC
    Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Union, Union, NC

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

I love driving for Lyft. I can work around my husband's work schedule and help provide for our new baby boy. I am glad that I can our baby can have 24 hour care from his father and I. Also, parenting always trumps working. Driving for Lyft, I can stay home when needed and hit the road again when I can. They pay is not bad either. If I work full time, I can make triple of what a person working minimum wage would make. It's a great opportunity.

Cons

The rating system is flawed. I'm at 4.8 right now, and my rating fluctuates between 4.8 and 4.9. As an employee, a 4.6 rating puts you at risk for deactivation with no chance of reestablishing employment. Most riders are not aware of the rating system. I used to be a rider for Lyft, and I thought that a 4 star rating was great.
    Some people give 3 star ratings because the believe the ride was average and equate a 5 star rating with providing refreshments, candies, bluetooth radio to connect their phones to, charger ports and extra USBs. If someone is starting out as a new driver, they simply may not have the means to provide such things because they are attempting to build revenue. Also, upgrades on radio systems are very expensive and most cars are not equipped with that technology. Even with all of the refreshments and extra resources, a 5 star rating is not gauranteed.
    Once, a passenger left a low rating and commented the car was dirty because the rider before left a hat in the back seat. I just got the car vacuumed and washed. We had a great conversation and laughs.

The rating system is flawed, and it is very stressful to worry about rating every time you drive.

I wouldn't advise anyone to work here full time with their current rating system in place. Once deactivated, a person would be jobless and ineligible for unemployment. What happens next? Have a back up plan.
    It's best for part time work. Drive as long as you can until you get deactivated.

Advice to Management

Consideration to improve the rating system would ensure good drivers are not deactivated. If a rider gives a 4 star or lower rating, Lyft should require riders to provide at least a 10 word or 2 sentence statement on why the ride was not 5 stars. This would help drivers improve their performance. Currently, anyone can leave a 4 star or lower rating with no reason or cause. This does not aid in the driver's improvement.
    Passengers' experiences would also improve because they'd be taking part in making constructive criticism on a joyful riding experience. I love driving for Lyft, and currently I am not in bad standing, but it is unfair that so many people are at risk for deactivation because of a 4.6 or lower rating.

"GOOD PART TIME GIG"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Washington, DC
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Washington, DC

Pros

Work when you want. Good guarantees at rush hour and late weekend hours. Most riders very pleasant and appreciative. Payment always on time.

Cons

Rating system doesn't tell you why you were below 5. Guarantee area for pick-ups too small, so if you can't get 2nd pick-up because slow, then no guarantee. Short rides during prime time still only $5.

Advice to Management

If you miss a request, give driver an additional 10 seconds in case they were unable to respond. or didn't see it in time.

"I was a 5 star driver once upon a time"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    No Nagging Boss
    You can make what want when the map is pink
    Weekly guarantee if qualified
    Meet new people

Cons

Some people don't like lyft line due to people have things to do and it just adds people to your route without you accepting or declining it.

Rating system needs alot of work, ex) one week i got 25+ 5 stars and 7 4 or below and my rating dropped and nobody has left any comments for me to improve or know why they weren't satisfied with the ride since i have been driving . The people getting rides don't know how borderline we are with every rating 4 stars and below.

Balance the lyft percentage that we keep and take because a $5 trip is not much and lyft takes their percentage so we would have to double the trips and worry about our ratings each trip.

Advice to Management

Please revise the rating system, send out a mass notification so when they open the app each lyft user knows how important their rating is for people to stay employed.

"Ratings system is seriously flawed"

Current Freelancer - Driver in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Freelancer - Driver in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Go work whenever you want. Twice I got a $20/hr or $25/hr guarantee where they make up the difference if you didn't make that much. But then they take 25% of that...

Cons

There needs to be an explanation to passengers how the rating system works when they go to rate you, or taken out completely and just add a complain box. I'm very personable, I drive safe and follow the gps correctly unless the passenger wants to direct me. I give people water and phone charger. Yet every day I check my e-mail and see my rating has dropped. I never see it go up. Why is that when I get so many positive reviews? And when I go to complain to customer service they just tell me to concentrate on the positive experiences I have. 95% of my experiences are positive, yet it looks like soon I'll be out of a job. Also buggy app. Every time there's an update, seems like a new thing starts going wrong.

Advice to Management

Fix the buggy app and please please please get rid of the rating system and come up with something else. It's completely unfair for the driver.

"New PT Driver in PHX"

Current Freelancer - Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Freelancer - Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

The freedom to work whenever you want - literally. I do think the app is well thought out and easy to use. I think the people who complain about not making a good hourly wage don't know where and when to go in the valley. I made nearly $180 last Saturday night - driving for about 8 hours...that's not a bad hourly rate! If you enjoy driving, then this is a great gig! If you like meeting and chatting to all sorts of people - then this is a good gig!

Cons

I do this to supplement my full-time income and so I enjoy it very much. But if you had to make money doing this full-time, you'll definitely have to hustle. Yes, there will be wear and tear on your car, but you can write-off mileage, gas, etc. on your taxes if you keep track, which I recommend. I'm not a big fan of the rating system either (I currently have a 4.77 rating after nearly 40 rides), but I don't know what you do to make sure a driver is giving good service or that a passenger is not being rude, inconsiderate, etc...

Advice to Management

Rethink the rating system. I understand that not everyone will "like" your service, but the customer is sometimes the one in the wrong...

"rating system is horrible"

Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Detroit, MI
    Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Lyft (More than a year)

Pros

Not very many pros to speak of

Cons

The rating system is horrible, people will give you a 1, 2 or 3 star rating for the simplest things like missing an exit or not talking enough or talking too much. Their algorithm for calculating your overall rating sucks. I went from 4.9 to 4.62 overnight just because of a few bad reviews. Plus there is way too many drivers now, you're lucky to get two or three rides in the morning. Lyft could care less they just keep on hiring anyone with a pulse.

"Lyft"

Current Freelancer - Driver in Chicago, IL
    Current Freelancer - Driver in Chicago, IL

Pros

Make your own hours

People are nice

Easy to use app

Cons

Rate cuts

Taxes can get complicated.

People can mess up your car

Customers do not understand rating system.

Showing 71 of 1,586 reviews