Lyft "rating system" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lyft Employee Reviews about "rating system"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Driver in the DC market"

Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Washington, DC
    Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Washington, DC

Pros

+Great way to meet nice people; although some are trashy and ghetto.
    +Direct deposit every Wednesday like Uber
    +Work your own schedule

Cons

Lyft seriously needs to inform it's users of how severely the rating system affects the driver. A 4 or below star rating can get you deactivated. I'm steady at a 4.9, but sometimes I wake up in the morning and log into my account to discover a rude awakening, because people do not leave a rating in a timely manner. The app should close out a passengers rating ability if he/she doesn't rate you until about 8 hours later. Secondly, the fares are too low for DC. I might as well do Uber and collect the crazy surge pricing that they implement and still make out better after their fees.

Advice to Management

Let passengers know about the rating system, I can't even count how many times the rating system has been brought up during a long ride from DC to Dulles or similar trip duration. I'm seriously considering another 1099 gig from another Sharing Economy app like Airbnb, Task Rabbit, and the new ride hailing service launched by GM called Maven. It is not available in the DC market yet, but it should be here this summer.

"Driver"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

It's really fun and you can work anytime. It is really a great idea to have this platform.

Cons

The rating system is stupid. I have a 4.9 but if you have one bad review it can easily go down a few points. So basically if you do 20 good rides but have 1 or 2 bad ones your rating can go down. Not very good system.

Way too many drivers and the money has significantly gone down. I used to love working for Lyft but it's almost not worth it now.

Advice to Management

Your liers to say that people make 20 plus. Raise the fares or pretty soon you will not have drivers too drive for your company.

"Drive"

Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

tips, pays better than uber i think.

Cons

rating system sucks for the driver, im a Very personable person drive a new 2015 car and keep it waxed and clean just like a town car would, i also give water, charging and all that and each ride can be 8 dollars people should really be grateful, it sucks i recieved a 4 star today and im honestly dumbfounded i feel i might be a mistake as every ride was excellant and so was drive passenger communication... real bummed that even when i try super super hard to keep my 5 star rating i lose it, btw ive only given 11 rides.......

Advice to Management

only allow passsengers to give reason if they rate low, maybe a warning if they are about to hit 4 stars just to let them know this is how the driver can loose his job, thanks

"Rating System Unfair after first 2 10 hour days/ 40 rides"

Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Denver, CO
    Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Denver, CO

Pros

Meeting great people, sharing ride stories, & helping people get affordable rides. It improves safety and makes people's day to get across town for only $5.

Cons

Rides less than $10 are not worth it to me. Sometimes you must drive further to get the passenger than the ride they actually need. Most rides are only $5 and Lyft takes nearly $1 out of that. It would be better if Lyft charged the passenger $6. But to only make $4 a ride is exhausting. The "stats" show how much money you've accumulated before Lyft's fees are taken out, so your expected income is less the following morning. This is unnecessarily deceptive.

Also the rating system requires drivers to rate passengers before moving onto the next ride, and the passenger rates the driver after (i assume they see your rating before they rate you but i'm unsure). The driver is the one working, and should be given the benefit of doubt. You can get a bad rating because it takes you 10 min to drive across town which is Lyft's fault not the driver. Also, many of the passengers are immature jerks who are demanding, inconsiderate, and confrontational. They leave the complementary bottled water empty on the floor but leave no tip. As the bars let out crazy angry women especially can be a real problem. They are lost directionally, curse, and act dramatic, like attention seeking brats, about where they are and have no idea how to identify their surroundings much less give an effort to find the car. I have had up to 3 people a night not cancel and waste my time during peak hours. I then rate them poorly with a comment about "nextime cancel" and they then can rate me poorly just to be a jerk. There are some just terrible passengers and any negative rating should be treated with skepticism especially at 2am. If you don't treat the passenger like a princess they will rate you low. As if mutual respect and kindness aren't enough. They want you to beg them for approval. Lyft attracts riff raff you would not want in your home much less in your car. Lyft needs to verify passengers, enforce pictures, run background checks on passengers, and give drivers more discretion over who they pick up. 10 seconds is not enough time to think, and you really can't say no. If I'm working at 2am, no $4 ride is worth my time, much less for a group of 4 drunk people crammed into my car and being rude. $10 minimum if you're drunk at 2am drivers are treated like cattle and we're the ones trying to give safe rides at 3am. Listen to us!

Advice to Management

Please read the cons section. Improve your rider quality and etiquette. Increase fares to $10 minimum, as most people are groups of 2 or more. Low fares are attracting low quality riders who are not reasonable. Also, the time of the ride is not shown in reports so I can't explain who what when where in case of a conflict/dispute. riders should take an etiquette test before being allowed to use the service and give drivers the benefit of doubt. Also a forum for drivers to discuss would help. These are cheap drunk people for the most part. There are better customers. Some customers are great, but weeding out riff raff is important. I might switch to Uber-X. I want respect for my hard work.

"Uh oh. Hope you don't get deactivated (;"

Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

-Make your own schedule
    -Meet people
    -Know all the rad things going on around town

Cons

-This is kind of a scam to be completely honest.
    - Rating system is BANANAS. I'll elaborate further. I started driving recently and have been reading up on lyfts policies for how many stars will keep you active, and it's absurd. Stop spending so much money on these ridiculous bonuses and focus on making your drivers lives more secure. Yes, strive to be better! Please, please do! I personally save my 5 stars for amazing, total awesomeness. You need to realize that most people do as well. When I was just a passenger, I had no idea that giving a driver 4 stars hurt them. I was like that was a good ride, 4 stars for you.
    -Lyft takes a 20% cut of the total ride on top of a safety fee.

Advice to Management

Fix your rating system and you won't have to be so desperate for drivers. You don't pay for our gas, our insurance, or compensate us for wear and tear. You take money for running an app. You file your taxes like your a third party payment processing company, so please be more realistic.

"Easy"

Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Memphis, TN
    Current Freelancer - Lyft Driver in Memphis, TN

Pros

Fast direct deposit
    Easy set-up
    Make your own hours
    Operates 24 hours per day

Cons

Cant reach customer service
    Can't change driver photo without submitting email request to staff with delays
    Cant reach passenger once ride has ended
    Rating system is severely flawed;terminated if rating falls below the equivalent of an A-
    GPS issues and some difficulty finding locations of passengers in club street areas

Advice to Management

Change the issues that drivers constantly complain about

"Could be a great company"

Former Contractor - Driver/Mentor in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Driver/Mentor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lyft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to make your own hours is amazing, most passengers were great people, the pay has potential to be nice ($1000/wk), freedom to be yourself, a great community of people who are there to help, and a rating system that in my opinion worked great.

Cons

As the price wars between Uber and Lyft continue, the new licensing requirements, and other fees continue to rise, it is becoming harder and harder to make a living from Lyft. I started out working 35-40 hours per week, making around $1000 gross (you pay for insurance, gas, milage, exc) but when I left those same hours would only net $600.

The rating system does have flaws, but but if you have a good personality then it's no problem. I left with a 5 star rating, and over 1,000 rides with no gimmicks (water, candy, funky designed car, exc).

Support through the company is horrid. I had someone leave their Iphone in my car, and Lyft never once replied to any messages about returning it. This was before they had a lost and found, so the phone just sat in my car. I still have it if the passenger ever finds me. The same support is true when it comes to accidents (I was never in one, but I heard that you get taken off the platform if you get into an accident), and there was always the chance someone would vomit in your car.

Advice to Management

Scale back your price wars with Uber. Differentiate yourself from them by hiring only the best drivers (currently they hire anyone with a pulse), with great personalities, and knowledge of the city and attractions. People will pay more for a better service (IE Nordstrom's), then by only having the best you would win the war with Uber without sacrificing your driver's quality of life.

"Keep Away"

Current Contractor - Lyft Driver in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Contractor - Lyft Driver in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Lyft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

On the plus side, the hours are very flexible, and you meet some interesting people as a Lyft driver.

Cons

Where do I begin? Unless it's in a major city, Lyft simply refuses to advertise anywhere in public spaces where the public at large will know what Lyft does as a company. In the market I live in, they refuse to advertise anywhere in public, even while just an hour up the road from where my market is located at, they have billboard ads promoting Lyft throughout the city, and Lyft ads being shown in some of the largest sporting venues in Denver. In many areas, all they relied on was drivers to do the marketing, with much of it being done via business cards containing free ride codes worth $25 for first time passengers, or flyers. In my area as well as many others, there is no longer any incentive for drivers to market Lyft as a brand (they're charging for promotional materials that drivers can use), let alone incentive for passengers to sign up for the service. Just know that if you jump on board with Lyft, it may be very quiet due to a lack of advertising being done thanks directly to Lyft's own actions.

Next, the pay. I jumped on as a driver in late July after learning of it from a friend of mine. In the beginning, a driver could easily make $1,500 a week or higher because of high demand. Unfortunately, in my market and in many others, it was done using the dumbest promotional idea ever invented in the scope of world history - 50 free rides for each new passengers. Now, with the almost draconian rate cuts of 30% or higher being in place for almost a permanent basis, you cannot really make anything as a Lyft driver, and that's even if you're putting in 50 plus hours a week as a driver. Just know that you're basically pumping money right back into your gas tank, and nothing else. If you have a full-time job, stick with it - I'm currently stuck with Lyft as my only source of income, as there is nothing else in my area that is hiring at the moment. This job will land you on the streets, and even more especially given that they have rate cuts in place that may at best earn you the occasional $5 ride here and there, along with the fact that they will not provide wide scale marketing in public areas outside of what they do online. I'm already close to landing on the streets and losing my car because I simply do not make enough anymore with this job. If anything, do as the Rideshare Guy advises - use Lyft sparingly as a driver in areas like where I live. Oh, and keep this in mind - the majority of the passengers simply do not tip, even after the app was refined more to allow for tipping.

Third, the rating system. I'm not going to bite my tongue here - it sucks. You often spend entire nights driving around angry, irrational and drunken kids who will give you a poor rating over the dumbest reasons, no matter how nice and professional you are with them - reasons that include not going over the speed limit so they can get home quicker, not running through red lights, not letting them do things in the car that are unsafe and against the law to begin with, or even failing to communicate the fact that, in certain cases, they will not cover the cost of friends who remain in the car to go elsewhere after they are dropped off. This has actually happened to myself and several other drivers in my area. The rating system really, truly sucks, and in my case, I was running at a 5.0 until recently - all it took was a few bad reviews, and my rating since has hovered around a 4.61 for the past two weeks - and it won't go up even though I have accumulated nothing but five star ratings since my rating dropped. You go under a 4.6, and you're at risk of "deactivation" - quite simply, another term for being fired. The rating system does not truly gauge what is happening on the ground, and you simply have no ability to contest the ratings you are given. You don't even receive any constructive feedback, just vaguely worded comments on how the ride was. Lyft goes by the philosophy that the customer is always right, no matter how different it is for us drivers.

Fourth: watch out when it comes to insurance. The insurance Lyft offers only covers passengers, nothing else. If you get into an accident that is not your fault while passengers are on board, your vehicle is not covered, and as a bonus, your personal insurance may not cover it at all. You are running a high risk in that area. Tread carefully - I had a close call due to a drunk driver two weeks ago while working in the Denver area, and still I received a poor rating from my passengers, even though I had the right of way at a stop light - and they saw the other driver promptly get pulled over by police not even moments later.

Fifth, the fees and commission system. For instance, I recently had a $15 ride across the city. After it was all done and said with, I made maybe $6 after Lyft's fees and taxes I would have to pay for were included. As for the commission system? As it stands, you have to drive 50 or more hours to make up the 20% or so that Lyft takes out in fees. To get a 10% bonus under the 80/20 program, you have to drive 30 hours, and 40 hours to get 15%. Again, with the earlier mentioned fare cuts of 30% or higher in certain cities around the country, you're driving often for just enough to fuel up your gas tank throughout the week, and nothing further. On top of it, if you don't drive any power hours (they determine what those hours are), you do not get any kind of bonus whatsoever. For the area I drive in, Colorado Springs, the power hours around here - outside of Saturday nights - are early in the morning, usually between the hours of 6 AM to 8 AM...the times when everyone in the city is already at work or commuting to work. I've driven those hours myself since that change was instituted, and there is zero demand.

Sixth, support is not exactly great when it comes to Lyft. There is no phone number you can reach them at for any other major issues aside from the emergency line designated for accidents. They rely heavily on email, and even a simple request or issue that normally should take maybe 4 or 5 minutes to resolve is not addressed for several days. This is a near constant with Lyft. From what I have heard, even Uber is far better with support for drivers.

Seventh, there is the question of taxation. Know this going in: they consider you to be an independent contractor right from the beginning. That means essentially that you are paying your own taxes. Come tax time, there are two things that you have to qualify for in order to receive either a 1099-K form or 1099-MISC form - you either have to make at least $20,000 in income throughout the year from Lyft to receive the 1099-K, or $600 in bonuses to receive a 1099-MISC form. For anyone who doesn't meet those barriers, you're pretty much on your own.

Eight: in many markets, there is an oversaturation of drivers to the point where you cannot make anything because there simply is not enough demand compared to the amount of drivers in the area. There is a point when even I, as a prior business owner, recognize that having too many employees is a bad thing. Yes, the case can be made that we're independent contractors, but even still, having too many crammed into areas where demand is not that high is just bad for business, and equally bad for passengers. You may deal with exactly that, depending on where you live in the country.

Nine: the reliability rating. You're given 15 seconds to respond to a ride request. If you're driving, it's not exactly a good idea to take your eyes off the road for even a moment to look at the phone screen. If you miss just one ride request, it affects your rating. That reliability rating also can cut you off from getting any bonuses under the 80/20 program. If you're driving in an area that is heavy with traffic, and you miss even one request because you're right in the middle of trying to drive safely, it counts against you.

Advice to Management

1. Scale back on the fees. You guys are killing us drivers.

2. Roll back the price cuts. A lot of us out there are forced purely by economic circumstances to use Lyft as our only source of income, and these ongoing, draconian price cuts are hurting our ability to make a decent living.

3. Get rid of the commission system. A lot of us see how dead it really is during the times you guys often list as "Power Hours".

4. Listen to your drivers when we say we need Lyft to advertise in public spaces that are very visible. We cannot do this alone using just business cards and flyers, especially when we have clueless restaurant/bar/hotel staff throwing away these very items because it's "sketchy", and local cab drivers doing the same to make sure our customer base never grows. Please advertise even more so to make more people aware of our services who don't even use cabs. If need be, bring back the passenger referral program in the markets you guys cut it from if advertising from your end truly is an issue - consider lowering the incentive amount for new passengers if need be, but be fair in doing so. Again, this lack of advertising support from the main office is burying those of us who work in smaller areas who don't have the means these days to pay for whatever marketing materials you guys have for drivers - even if the passenger referral program's new passenger codes are not being honored. More importantly, if we score a major deal on our own, honor it and don't blow it off - you never know what good could come of it.

5. As a prior business owner, I advise providing a 1099 form to all drivers regardless of how much they make through Lyft - it makes doing our taxes less of a headache simply by having that form with all of our mileage from rides and how much money we made available.

6. Better streamline your methods for driver support. At least throw in some dedicated phone lines so we can talk to a real human being when the situation demands it. I can tell you from having had experience doing support in IT or even customer service in the past that email simply is not enough. On top of it, as I noted, many of us drivers are having to resort to Lyft as our only source of income because of a lack of jobs in many of the cities we live in. You never know when we will need you guys to verify for whatever reason that we are independent contractors for Lyft, and having a designated group of people to contact for that sort of verification (employment checks and things of that nature) really does help.

7. Fix the rating system, and allow us as drivers to contest poor ratings that do not accurately reflect any of what we see on the ground. You guys are losing a lot of good drivers because of a few angry passengers, and it's frustrating - the rule to be remembered here is that the customer is not always right.

8. Put a cap on how many drivers there are in areas where demand from passengers is not that high. Too many drivers can be a bad thing, and it drives down the income of a lot of full-time drivers even more. Yet again, there is a lot of us out there who are forced to rely on just Lyft as our primary job, and it's frustrating when you have 50 other drivers taking up every last ride request while you're going entire nights without even a single request through the app.

9. Get rid of the reliability rating. It doesn't help many drivers at all, and there are plenty of valid reasons as to why we're unable to respond to a request...all reasons which happen to involve a concept known as avoiding an accident from not looking at your phone. If you can't get rid of the reliability rating, at least increase the response time allotted to a minute. That gives us enough time to pull over to a safe location and accept the incoming passenger request without putting ourselves at risk while driving, and more importantly, other people thanks to distracted driving - something we drivers do not like doing when mobile.

Finally, this: I realize it's a lot to ask, but as a company, you guys are burning a lot of bridges, and fast. Much of what is being done is in the name of defeating Uber, and it simply cannot be done. They have more resources than we do, and better marketing. Be innovative while at the same time taking into consideration the concerns of your people on the ground. Don't leave us in the dust, and don't treat us as disposable. We too have very real fears, worries and concerns, and none of us would have signed up for Lyft if we didn't believe in it. Stop worrying about what the competition is doing, and do what is right for us drivers and to a certain extent passengers. Focus on the niche Lyft has established, and take even your drivers into consideration - talk to us - when considering new ideas. Going behind our backs and doing things that hurts both us as drivers on an individual level and the brand as a whole is not a smart way to conduct business. Please, read every bullet point above and consider it carefully. I'm already considering bailing out on Lyft, even though I'm one of the thousands of drivers out there who has to use this for my only job for the time being, simply because it's not worth it given the string of bad decisions that have been made these past few months. Lyft could make it, though - if only headquarters in San Francisco will take the time to listen.

"Great app, nice people; risky, awful ratings system."

Current Freelancer - Current Driver in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Freelancer - Current Driver in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, good earnings potential. Easy to use and reliable app. Generally nice people, including passengers, support, and other drivers. Recommend as a side job, part-time, temporary or both -- but not primary source of income.

Cons

Awful rating system. Lyft is getting a decent 3-star rating here, beating out many well-respected, established companies. By their own daft interpretation, 3 stars is so bad you would never want to be paired with a particular driver or passenger again. There is an obvious high risk of misunderstanding, for good drivers to be deactivated, as well as 5 stars to become the new standard of mediocrity, as it is the only "passing" rating available in the Lyft system. Also bear in mind there can be increased risk to life and limb, for those driving the late hours. A recent near miss with a wrong way driver brought this point home more clearly.

Advice to Management

Fix the rating system, allowing for more open and honest feedback from drivers and passengers.

"Good for part time sometimes"

Current Freelancer - Driver
    Current Freelancer - Driver

I have been working at Lyft (Less than a year)

Pros

Can make own hours, get to interact with people

Cons

Customers cancel a lot and there are strict guidelines as to whether you get paid for making the effort to come get them or not, and most cancellations don't fall under that even after you've gone several miles out of your way. Lots of waiting.
    The rating system is terrible
    Lower pay rates for drivers

Showing 71 of 1,582 reviews