Lynden Incorporated Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jon Burdick

1. "A great learning experience"

Current Employee - International Agent in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - International Agent in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Lynden Incorporated full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is flexibility, learning opportunities, and autonomy. You will learn how to deal with all types of customers and assist with interesting projects.

Cons

Management doesn't support you fully and there is not a lot of room for growth within the company that comes with higher pay. Due to the economy, no raises are being given this year. Employee morale is okay.

"401k has HIGH fees, only Investor shares offered instead of better Vanguard Admiral shares"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fife, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fife, WA

I have been working at Lynden Incorporated (More than 8 years)

Pros

401k matching, good medical, good upper management

Cons

Lynden's 401k plan is with Vanguard. Vanguard offers both Admiral Shares and Investor Shares of the same funds. Lynden's 401k only offers investors shares which have a much higher expense ratio. This could be seen as a breach of the fiduciary responsibity of the Lynden 401k plan administrator.

Why doesn't Lynden offer Admiral shares?

Please offer the better, cheaper Admiral shares of the IDENTICAL funds.

Advice to Management

Ask Vanguard why they are ripping off Lynden employees with Investor shares vs the SAME IDENTICAL fund as an Admiral share. This could open up Lynden and Vanguard to a lawsuit for the breach of the fiduciary responsibility.

Lynden Incorporated Response

Feb 14, 2017 – VP Employee Relations and Business Development

Thank you for your comment. Lynden prides itself on offering a full range of competitive benefits, including a 401(k) with a company match. Lynden recognized the value of low-fee investing for the ... More

3. "Customer Service Representative"

I worked at Lynden Incorporated full-time

Pros

This is a union job with the protection of the Teamsters at the Fife location only. Starting wage is acceptable.

Cons

Management. Upper management knows that the dock manager is horrible but they leave her in place. In 2016 alone you had CSRs quit after about 2, 2 and 6 months. Other CSR's who lasted longer are/appear to be over 50 y/o. You do not receive proper training but you do receive a write up when you make a mistake. Toxic atmosphere and definitely a place to avoid.

Advice to Management

Put aside petty us vs. them mentality and work to establish unity between the two parties. If someone has worked for you for over 15 years and quits without a farewell/goodbye, that should tell you that you are doing something wrong.

"Bad company"

Pros

None the company was horrible

Cons

Everything i would never work for them again

"IT"

Pros

Less Pressure
    Quiet Work Place
     Nothing else

Cons

The following review may differ from team to team based on their manager. This is my personal opinion.

Micro management. Need to sit for 8 hrs no matter you take break.
    No proper process is followed.
    Smart work & Velocity of work is not valued
    Majority of people are over 50's age
    Technology all very old
    Overloading lot of work as they are concerned about hiring another people would add to expenditure.
    No Team Fun. Nobody even talks to team members like chit chat.
    Accessibility to food and beverage from office is less
    No body knows any full picture as there is no documentation, no process
    Very old work style, some one young will not like here
    No Team building activities
    No work-life balance.
    Salary less compared to other competitive job profile. Cannot expect anything other than salary. They are very conservative.
    Bonus is seasonal.

This family company is group of non-professional people, who once work in Dock , service station , CS representative has now become managers. Then think about people who works under them .
    No body talks to the point. (as i mentioned they are old people, keep talking out of topic all the time)

If you get into this company once then you cannot learn any new stuffs.

Advice to Management

Micro Management doesnt motivate workers to do good job. Try to treat professional as professional.

Lynden Incorporated Response

Feb 14, 2017 – VP Employee Relations and Business Development

Thank you for your comments. Lynden's IT department consists of a diverse group of individuals from various backgrounds and age groups. We employ a variety of technologies, including new ... More

"Sales"

I have been working at Lynden Incorporated full-time

Pros

An innovative, financially strong company who has many employees with long tenures of service. Most of the people are team players and good to work with.

Cons

There's a mentality that you have to work long hours and not use all your vacation time or you are viewed as not a hard worker. There are office politics and "favorites" who are treated differently than others.

Advice to Management

Make your employees feel appreciated for the hard work they do. Look for positives that you can compliment on which would foster better work production because they'd feel appreciated.

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Takes great care of its people, big company capabilities with a small company feel. Good opportunity for growth opportunity.

Cons

Older IT systems can be a turnoff to new and younger employees

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the people as I think is done now

9. "Like a club."

I have been working at Lynden Incorporated full-time

Pros

For the most part the company takes care if it's employees. Great place if you like a busy environment that gives you constant challenges.

Cons

Can be a high stress environment, not everyone there does well in that environment. Many people there used to work together at another company, sometimes feel like they are their own club.

Advice to Management

Department managers need more oversight and training. Company needs more company events to foster better communication and connections between the departments.

10. "Look Elsewhere"

Current Employee - Milk Route Supervisor in Jerome, ID
    Current Employee - Milk Route Supervisor in Jerome, ID

I have been working at Lynden Incorporated full-time

Pros

Only two real pros', pay and benefits. Employees are friendly and easy to get along with. Management is easy to deal with because they are nonexistent. Vehicles are newer and fairly easy to maintain. Partial uniform is provided, ( shirts only ). Time off is fairly easy to come by, as long as you can get it covered.

Cons

There is little to no training provided for what is being asked of the Route Supervisors. You are expected to absorb it somehow. We are sent on a junket once every three years to train on how to deal with problem employees. There is absolutely no availability for promotion from this position as is seen company wide. Most supervisors will be in their positions until they retire or are terminated. We see the upper management about once a year and they tell us how good of a job we are all doing and how they couldn't do it without us. After leaving we are all told we need to cut hours and get our heads in the game because our area is the worst in the company. Speaking to any of the upper management about this only seems to make things worse. I have just learned to keep my mouth shut.

Advice to Management

Don't even know where to start. I'm guessing what used to be a small family company has grown into a multi headed monster and its still being run like a small family company.

"Lynden International is behind the times"

I have been working at Lynden Incorporated full-time

Pros

Lynden International has good benefits

Cons

I'll keep this simple -
    -If you're young (under 40) and/or new to the industry you won't fit in here. Everybody has been here for 10+ years. The employees that haven't is the revolving door.

Other than I agree with all of the cons from other reviews.

Basically, if you're 40+ looking for a job where you won't move up this place is for you.

Advice to Management

If you'd like the company to have a future you need to invest in it.
    Time to get rid of the senior management leeches. -- This will NEVER happen. Lynden is set in their ways. They will just watch the boat sink together.