Lyon Law Reviews | Glassdoor

Geoffrey C. Lyon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Long Beach, CA

Pros

Great opportunity to gain legal experience before getting a law degree. I worked at Lyon Law for approximately 1.5 years, and by the end of my time I was doing substantive drafting of motions for attorney approval, preparing plaintiffs and witnesses for trial and deposition testimony, doing document and evidence review to choose and prepare exhibits for attorney use during deposition. I feel like I got a real taste of what it is like to be an associate attorney before going to law school.

Coworkers were great; very relaxed environment. Everybody was friendly, aware of each other's schedules and projects, and more than willing to help out if things were particularly busy for one of us. The lead trial attorney and associate attorneys all clearly cared about obtaining the best outcome for the client--putting the client's needs first was something which was always stressed in the firm.

This is a great position if you want the chance to do meaningful and substantive work, especially if you don't mind or want a lot of responsibility (and a little stress). It was gratifying getting to see the work I put in substantially effect the outcome of cases for the firm's clients, especially without having a law degree yet.

Cons

Periods of high workload/long hours -- there were months when I went home at 5pm every day, and other periods of 2-4 weeks where I worked 60+ hour weeks to work on oppositions to motions for summary judgment or trial prep.

There is a lot dumped on your plate. Especially in the beginning the work can be stressful.

High caseload--perhaps it is simply a reality of running a firm on contingency, but assistants and especially attorneys are tasked with managing a rather high caseload at any one time. Challenging at times--and certainly time consuming--to make sure nothing was falling through the cracks on any one case.

"Poor employer, employment law firm. Ironic."

Former Employee - Litigation Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Litigation Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lyon Law full-time

Pros

1. The other litigation assistants at this firm are the reason that working here is bearable. They're smart, they're hard-working, and they are there to help you when you need to print 12,000 pages on standard printers. These are the absolute best people.
    2. Free lunches every Friday, plus free office-wide Amazon Fresh orders for the fridge. There is almost always ice cream in the freezer.
    3. If you can survive here, you are definitely ready for the workload of an attorney.

Cons

1. Because this is such a small firm, there is 0 time dedicated to training. Other litigation assistants, who are buried in work already, have to train new employees on the fly. Errors and mistakes are inevitable, making for perpetual nervousness and anxiety around the office.
    2. Additionally, again due to the small size, litigation assistants often perform the work that senior attorneys at other firms do-- id est, deposition prep, discovery, and the entire separate statement for motions for summary judgement. The latter can take up to 80 hours to complete. As a result, attorneys from other firms often mistake Lyon Law litigation assistants for attorneys--because normally, no litigation assistant would be handling this sort/amount of work.
    3. Due to the absurd work load for untrained and unprepared 20-something-year-olds, overtime is unavoidable. Weekends that one does not spend doing some work are a rarity. It is not uncommon to spend nights in the office until 9:00 or 10:00 PM.
    4. No benefits.

Advice to Management

GL, pay attention to your employees. They are smart, hard-working people. If they were trained, and shown any empathy, you'd be amazed at what they could do.

3. "Good Experience - High Caseload"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney

I worked at Lyon Law full-time

Pros

The ability to actively manage cases and have hands-on experience. Good coworkers.

Cons

Limited training. High caseload and intensive practice.

Advice to Management

Increase client-intake screening, to reduce volume to higher-quality cases.

4. "Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Lyon Law full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I began working as a Legal Assistant at Lyon Law straight out of college with no previous experience in the legal field, but with a great eagerness to learn. The firm is small, with an average of four “teams” (consisting of one associate with two legal assistants), each which handle around 20 cases under the supervision of the CEO, Geoffrey Lyon. Because of the size of the firm, legal assistants gain a lot of exposure to the workings of litigation and employment law, are afforded with great responsibilities, and are expected to work along side the attorneys. To say the least, there is a lot of hands on experience that legal assistants here gain that we would not have at other larger firms. Mr. Lyon has high expectations for all his employees. He does not coddle, as the environment is more of a self-learning one, however he does encourage questions and provides guidance. Coworkers here are tight knit, helpful, and knowledgeable. On more than one occasion, members from other teams volunteered to help manage another's caseload near impending deadlines or during particularly challenging litigation (an example of camaraderie not common to all law firms). For a novice like me, there was a steep learning curve, however the experience was rewarding from beginning to end. I will forever be appreciative of the time I spent at Lyon Law for the opportunities given to me and the knowledge I gained.

Cons

Litigation is not for the faint of heart, and you learn very quickly here whether or not it is an area where you belong. The environment is challenging: heavy workload, adversarial opposing counsel, demanding clientele, etc... There was more than one all-nighter committed in order to make a deadline. However, I believe one would be hard pressed to find a civil litigation firm that does not encounter these challenges.

"horrible management"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Lyon Law full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

interesting cases and the opportunity to learn by doing socially meaningful legal work; intimate experience with the details of employment law

Cons

horrible management; massive turnover as a result; employer treats employees like slaves; thinks pay that is barely a living wage entitles him to own your life; think twice before working here! i quit after less than a year and in that time i saw the owner fire at least 3 employees including an excellent attorney.

Advice to Management

get a conscience. stop treating your employees with contempt if you're building a business on their backs. the way you treat people is absolutely horrible and i don't understand how you can sleep at night.

6. "Great Experience, Challenging Workload"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Lyon Law full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will get a ton of experience in many different aspects of civil litigation working here. Each team handles a caseload of approximately 15-20 cases on average, all in various stages of litigation. Because it is a very small firm, attorneys and legal assistants alike are able to do much more than their counterparts at larger firms. In the time I have been with Lyon Law, I have assisted in drafting countless motions, complaints, discovery requests and responses, and assisted in preparation for multiple trials. This experience has been invaluable, and would have taken me twice as long (if not more) to gain had I worked at another, larger firm. It is also an environment that encourages consistent learning, as owner Geoff Lyon encourages employees (both new and veteran) to ask questions and continue to grow as legal professionals.
    One of the best parts of working here is the other employees of the firm. In addition to being incredibly intelligent, the other employees are friendly, supportive, and always willing to help each other out or give advice if needed.
    I would recommend Lyon Law, especially if you are looking for somewhere that will both challenge you and force you to grow quickly into an effective advocate and/or legal professional.

Cons

Because of the fast paced environment, training in the beginning is very minimal, and you have to learn by doing. This means that you will learn a ton and learn it all very quickly, but the first couple of months can be overwhelming. As long as you bring a positive outlook and are eager to learn, before you know it you will have a better handle on things.
    Additionally, with all the experience in litigation comes all the stress of litigation. Since you have a ton of responsibility for various projects on your team, this means that long hours are inevitable when big projects and motions roll around. During these time periods, work-life balance can be hard to manage. However, this is a problem you would run into in any firm that is litigation heavy.

"Worst job I've ever had, including Domino's Pizza"

Former Employee - Attorney
    Former Employee - Attorney

Pros

They had Free food on Fridays

Cons

Incoherent management from Mr. Lyon. He had hired and fired 4 other attorneys on a single case before I took over. Erratic management without any clear training or leadership.

8. "Good, Challenging Workplace"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Lyon Law full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job consisted of substantive legal work, resulting in great exposure to the facets of employment law and litigation. The environment and work load were challenging, but they created sincere opportunities to learn and grow. The work that I did at Lyon Law was much more substantive than the work found at many other law firms. The law firm is growing steadily and taking on multiple new cases a week. The culture is progressive and fast-paced, but highly rewarding. There are free snacks in the break room, catered lunches on Fridays, paid parking, paid time off, and good pay. Plus, I met some really amazing people. Everyone there was hard-working and intelligent, and everyone had a great work ethic.

Cons

The deadline-sensitive nature of the legal industry makes for a fast paced work environment. Be prepared to put significant time and effort into meeting deadlines. The work is challenging and you will have to juggle multiple cases, but you will, without a doubt, grow very quickly in this environment.

9. "Legal Assistant - Invaluable Experience"

I worked at Lyon Law full-time

Pros

I spent over two years at Lyon Law, working mainly as a Calendar Clerk and Legal Assistant. I truly feel that the amount of hands-on training and substantial work experience I gained at Lyon Law has prepared me with tools I will use throughout law school and my career. As an assistant, you will learn the ins and outs of the case cycle: drafting complaints and written discovery under attorney supervision, preparing for client and defendant depositions, opposing motions for summary judgment, and even getting a case ready for trial if necessary, among several other tasks. However, that only touches the surface of what I have learned in my time at Lyon Law. On a day-to-day basis, working with Mr. Lyon and the attorneys at the firm provides invaluable insights into the nature of litigation, and a dedicated employee will walk away from the firm with an abundance of knowledge and strategy that can be applied at any level in the legal field. Though the workload can be considerable at times, this is a consequence of working in the legal field. You will be hard-pressed to find a firm more dedicated to producing excellent work product than Lyon Law. Great opportunities, great people, great experience.

Cons

Heavy workload at times, but if you hope to be an attorney, it is to be expected.

10. "Legal Assistant"

I have been working at Lyon Law full-time

Pros

I worked for Lyon Law PC for just shy of two years. At the time of my hire, I was a recent college graduate, with no experience aside from a few short-term internships. However, Mr. Lyon took a chance on me and provided me with an excellent opportunity.
    In less than a year, I was promoted from a File Clerk position assigned to a cubicle to a Legal Assistant with my own office. By around my one-year mark, my salary had increased 75%. That being said, it was not the pay that I am most grateful for. Rather, it was the amount and substance of experience I received. Under the guidance and supervision of attorneys, I was afforded the chance to prepare civil complaints, propound and respond to written discovery, draft legal briefs, including motions and oppositions, perform case research, attend mediations and other hearings, and a variety of other legal tasks. The substantive litigation experience a legal assistant receives in a typical day is incredible. Candidates exploring the idea of law school will find Lyon Law very helpful in solidifying their decision to attend or not. In fact, I only left my position with the firm in order to attend law school.
    Throughout my time at Lyon Law, I’ve found the staff and management to be consistently helpful, reasonable, and insightful. Geoff and his associates are brilliant attorneys with a wealth of knowledge, and an obvious knack for advocacy. I learned a great deal from each of them.
    Needless to say, I highly recommend the position to those interested in litigation and/or plaintiff-side work, and are willing to put in the requisite effort. Indeed, the workload is large and the expectations are high, but both are very manageable.
    In sum, relocating to Long Beach and working at Lyon Law turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made, and I'm confident that it is one that will directly benefit my career for years to come.

Cons

As I mentioned, the workload is heavy. However, that is simply the nature of litigation.