LyondellBasell Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
LyondellBasell CEO Bhavesh V. “Bob” Patel
Bhavesh V. “Bob” Patel

Pros
  • The pay is good and even better when you work lots and lots of overtime (in 17 reviews)

• The work/life balance : compensation ratio for full-time seems to be much better than other companies (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance may not be ideal for everyone working full time, but that is the problem with working at a plant (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management have been gifted a leading position and financial health but simply don't know what to do with it (in 16 reviews)

1. "Excellent new company that is just beginning to flourish"

Pros

Things are moving fast and you get a lot of freedom to act

Cons

We still have a lot of streamlining to do as a result of the legacy companies

Advice to Management

Keep up the strong leadership

"challenging but rewarding"

Current Employee - Unenclosed in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Unenclosed in Houston, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is challenging but pays very well. If you are a diligent worker that has a passion to your career or industry you would love the company, otherwise fall. The company has a bright future, I do not regret working at LyondellBasell!

Cons

Post bankruptcy has their employees working extra hours at times, and taking on projects that has unfeasible deadlines. It might be a bad thing but it is what makes the company profitable and leads to stability in employment!

"My experience with LyondellBasell was very satisfying and enjoyed working with HSE dept."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at LyondellBasell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are very nice and welling to help each other.

Cons

Other than the traffic in downtown Houston. There was no downside to this job.

5. "Strong, well performing company."

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is well positioned in the market, with excellent vertical integration, and many talented people. With shell gas influenced price competitiveness LYB is doing the right things well ahead of competition.

Cons

In this aggressive talent focused market LYB has been slow to respond to competitive changes in salary. New HR leadership is trying to make course corrections, but there is strong resistance from some of the top leadership.

Advice to Management

Don't loose focus on the people making things happen.

6. "Company with a winning attitude"

Current Employee - Engineer in Channelview, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Channelview, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for 2 other companies before coming to LYB 2 years ago. Things I like:
    - The best focus on safety I have ever seen. GoalZERO is great and is working
    - We get the resources we need to run the plants reliably and safely
    - Career opportunities - there are numerous plant expansions creating all kinds of new jobs
    - Top management clearly wants the company to be the best
    -Bonuses every year have been 30-60% above target, reflecting the company's good performance

Cons

There are some people in the company that were here before bankruptcy that just have trouble making the culture change. Trust me, I've seen the other side in other companies. The company is much more performance driven today and is not a place for people that want to sit back and have a party. The company is for people that want to work hard and win - that's why I like it.

Advice to Management

Keep driving hard on Operational Excellence - this is making us the safest company but is also making us very reliable and generating good revenue. And thanks for your strong leadership on Safety - it shows every day and we very much appreciate it.

7. "Lean & Mean, Safe & Successful"

Current Employee - Engineer II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Houston, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Pay, Yearly Bonus, Exceptional Benefits, and huge career potential. Safety culture is top of class with commitment from top down. Lots of opportunity for professional growth. My performance is not limited by the company.

Cons

Company is VERY lean, which has some benefits (such as pay and job security), but mostly just contributes to a lot of stress. There is a lot more work that needs to be done than can be (this applies to EVERY position in the company) so you are constantly in a pit trying to complete action items and legal requirements. This company is not for people who cannot handle stress or time & task management.

Advice to Management

More focus on a family atmosphere or improving the "outside of work" culture. Other companies seem to successfully promote a friendly atmosphere by organizing trips and inter-company sports leagues. These types of activities will eventually help promote a safer company culture as they reallly do feel like a "family".
    Also, there is a boom going on and we have continued to decrease headcount. We are past the efficiency bell curve and are starting to pay for it with delayed projects, lack of data tracking (there's no time for it), and "lost profit opportunities" not being addressed.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Process Operator in Channelview, TX
    Current Employee - Process Operator in Channelview, TX

I have been working at LyondellBasell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits, safe, non-union facility.

Cons

Too many older, lazy complainers.

Advice to Management

Rid the company of the poor performing, lazy, cry-babies that destroy morale.

"Mechanical Engineering Intern"

Pros

Great People. Good projects for an intern to do without feeling useless.

Cons

Some irregular working hours when needed.

10. "Great place to build a career"

Current Employee - Operations Technician in Lake Charles, LA
    Current Employee - Operations Technician in Lake Charles, LA

Pros

Industry leader. Great team to work with in operations. Very friendly and communicate well. Safe environment. Competitive pay relative to other sites in the area.

Cons

No pension or retiree medical.

"Coop Engineer III"

I have been working at LyondellBasell full-time

Pros

-A lot of training so you really feel like an investment.
    -This year a lot of capital projects are happening so I expect a lot of growth from this company and a lot of learning opportunity for its employees
    -Enjoyable environment
    -As an intern, received a surprising amount of face time with upper management like VPs

Cons

None, but I heard of interns that didn't receive a lot of projects at certain sites or didn't have good mentors. However, every company has its lemons. My mentor was very good and my coworkers thought similarly of their mentors.

Advice to Management

Keep developing your talent otherwise we might go on to competitors