Lyris Reviews in Emeryville, CA | Glassdoor

Emeryville, CA

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Philpin

Pros
  • There are some very nice and smart people there, the vacation benefits are good and the neighborhood is pleasant (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The new management that has been brought on to fix things, are acting like a pack of cornered wild animals (in 5 reviews)

"It was nice while it lasted"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Liked the team, and enjoyed working with the customers

Cons

After the acquisition by Aurea, 125 people became 9, and the wrong 9 at that. It's hard to sell a SaaS service if you don't know how to keep your servers working.

Advice to Management

If you think its expensive to hire a professional, just wait till you hire an amateur.

"Strategic Account Manager"

Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location in Emeryville, CA. Reasonable access to BART and other public transportation. Nice office space.

Cons

Company is on the ropes. The intellectual property is way behind the competition. I do not know if they will have the resources to catch up.

Advice to Management

Find a technology partner and license their product.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Using Mule and other good tech. Good Architects. Good work life balance.

Cons

Long list of cons. None so important as the company acquisition. Acquired by a dishonest, greedy finance company masquerading as a software company.
    -- Ops team: Been here a few years and every encounter with Ops has been terrible. Especially the lead. He has never worked anywhere else and suffers from lack of exposure to technology. Operations believes that the cloud is a ridiculous idea.
    -- Ideas come easy, bringing them to fruition is next to impossible.

Advice to Management

none... they already sold the company for beans.

5. "Finally finding some direction after a long time in the dolrums"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent place to work at. The new CEO seems to know what he is doing (unlike the last two idiots). Good regular staff events help to aid the social aspect of working here.

Cons

Not much knowledge sharing, often unchallenging work. Sometimes meetings for the sake of having meetings.

Advice to Management

Company is being acquired to I can't really offer anything as there'll be new bosses soon.

6. "Awesome experience! Dedicated and hard working individuals. Great work-life balance."

Current Employee - California in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - California in Emeryville, CA

Pros

_ Great Culture and Work/Life Balance
    _ Smart co-workers
    _ Fun Environment
    _ Good Benefits/ Comp
    _ Free Parking & Great Location

Cons

Dated IT equipment, this is often challenging. Many improvements are in progress.

Advice to Management

Take time to analyze employees, reward the hardworking and acknowledge the limitations of others slowing down the potential of the organization .

"Don"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Great location. I lived super close so my commute was nothing. Close to Berkeley Bowl, which is a great super market

Cons

- Incredible levels of micro-management billed as "helping". I would get daily comments for actions I needed to take, but no clear advice on technical specific things to say. When asked I literally got "Ask someone else"

- no team work. Team members barely communicate and communication between teams is actively discouraged by management.... ACTIVELY discouraged. They put process in place to make it more difficult

- No training. I was tasked to support products I received no training on. I wasn't able to ask for help either (see above) unless through a complex ticketing system. ON the phones this led to customers hanging up from being on hold too long

- Told to not use the bathroom as much. Simple 2 minute pee breaks were frowned upon.

- Management was obsessed with numbers in their reports vs. employee happiness and work effectiveness. If the reports were high they were happy. This led to everyone fudging their numbers with excessive ticket replies and article linking. Nothing helpful, just padding numbers.

Advice to Management

I got nothing... I give up. Good luck

"Promotion through Negative Criticism?"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are pockets of really hard working people in every department, that genuinely want to do right even though they are put in an almost impossible situation.

I believe the CEO and SVP of Marketing want to do right in the organization

Cons

This company seems to promote criticism of others . In fact, it seems that you can only get noticed within the organization if you can"promote yourself" by putting down others. Never have I been in such a dysfunctional, sick atmosphere in my life. Even worse, if you don't "Defend" yourself with your day-to-day efforts and accomplishments, then others assume you are not doing your job, so it perpetuates an equally unhealthy and reciprocated "defensive- aggressive" behavior. All in all, it's just not a healthy organization (no innovation, no accountability, extremely poor communication, finger pointing, constant employee turn over)....not to mention that the office and equipment is like turning back the clock to 1990 (very out dated on all levels).

Advice to Management

Hire better line managers (there is oversight at the lower levels, but it doesn't do good if your "captains" aren't doing their job)

"Bathroom Trips were Regulated"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some very nice and smart people there, the vacation benefits are good and the neighborhood is pleasant.

Cons

If you are considering joining the technical support department, you may want to take the following into account. You will be micro-managed to a degree that I have never seen before at any company. A few of us received emails with our breaks highlighted in yellow. We were encouraged to not drink too much before the beginning of our phone shifts and to "hold it" if we needed to use the restroom before our phone time was over. My colleague was told to lay off the lattes. I really wish I was making this up, but I'm not.

Advice to Management

Let your employees use the bathroom in peace.

"Great people, fun office environment, but company stability is questionable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some really fun, talented people working at this company. Great location for east bay people.

Cons

C-level management is a bit of a joke- especially in marketing and the interim CEO. The middle management groups are really doing the work and have the knowledge and strategic ideas to keep the company moving, but often get overlooked or not taken seriously due to the upper management ego issues.
    There is really a concern in the market as to whether Lyris will be around much longer.

Advice to Management

Get rid of ineffective upper management, empower director-level employees.

"Startup atmosphere and energy without all the typical startup problems and risk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super hot market, very strong product offering and an exciting near term product roadmap and vision. The company is investing in its employees with training and career opportunities and is poised for rapid growth. Fun, irreverent office culture with pool table, ping pong, frequent happy hours. The executives for the most part are passionate and frequently put in long hours working shoulder to shoulder with the rest of us.

Cons

Lyris recently emerged from a time of change and a little bit of upheaval. While the fact that the company is poised for fast growth is exciting, a little bit of hard work and elbow grease is required at the moment.