Lyris Reviews | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

Lyris Reviews

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A really cool thing is happening"

I have been working at Lyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engineering is leading a remarkable change in the company, development of a very slick set of web services for direct marketing. The vision is not only a state-of-the-art marketing platform, but a way to smoothly migrate the existing customer base.

The engineering teams are sharp, small and agile, marketing and sales are aligned. And the work environment is friendly, personal and informal, much more of an East Bay culture than the less-personal Silicon Valley experience. There isn't a lot of process, and with 150 employees, it's easy to know who to talk to when you want to get something done.

The usual perks, free parking and drinks and a beer fridge you can hit whenever. I can grab a beer at lunch in the middle of a full day. Management is available for a chat, and I don't experience a lot of political activity. What you see is pretty much what you get.

Cons

The company is traumatized by several mis-steps over the last six years, which have left a mark. It's historically grown by acquisition, and must now innovate ahead of the competition.

The sales and marketing teams are used to selling software and a website with features. The future will be a platform of web services, with a web interface but also capable of marketing automation in a big way. This is a tough paradigm shift, although the audience is the same, fortunately.

There are bigger and better-funded players, for example ExactTarget is owned by Salesforce, and Responsys is now the Oracle Marketing Cloud.

Advice to Management

Pare down the process, be willing to continue taking risks. You have some really bright people, let them run with the vision.

"Lyris Didn't seem to know where they were going"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are friendly and fun to work with. I enjoyed my time there until it got crazy with management at the end

Cons

The people are nice enough, the top level leadership seemed lost. They had us spend months developing a product to their specs, and when it was almost done, they said they couldn't sell it in the market and eventually scrapped it.

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want to be when you grow up.

"Startup atmosphere and energy without all the typical startup problems and risk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super hot market, very strong product offering and an exciting near term product roadmap and vision. The company is investing in its employees with training and career opportunities and is poised for rapid growth. Fun, irreverent office culture with pool table, ping pong, frequent happy hours. The executives for the most part are passionate and frequently put in long hours working shoulder to shoulder with the rest of us.

Cons

Lyris recently emerged from a time of change and a little bit of upheaval. While the fact that the company is poised for fast growth is exciting, a little bit of hard work and elbow grease is required at the moment.

"I like coming to Lyris every day"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was just in the kitchen grabbing my go juice and thought to myself. Man, I like coming to work here at Lyris every day. When it's Sunday evening I actually think, I look forward to Monday morning, to go back to digging into my projects and having fun with my colleagues.

I see a lot of happy faces here. Young and tenured, people are very friendly and passionate about what they are doing. We work hard, but we also have time to play. For example, as I write this, we're watching the worldcup soccer games up on the big screen in the lounge. England Uruguay 1:2 (ENG isn't doing too well it seems).

Got the usual software company perks, free drinks, fruit, even beer and wine for the days when we celebrate, a gym, etc. Nice benefits.

Most importantly, we've got a real opportunity to make our customers and ourselves some money. We have to execute well to make that happen and that is no task for slackers.

Cons

Our FSA provider Wageworks bugs me. Boy they are tedious with their approvals.

Advice to Management

Keep up the morale. We've got a lot of fans of Lyris working here and those are the people that will lead us to success.

"Strong management with a clear vision"

Pros

Great Leadership, we have a clear vision and support from senior management to achieve and surpass our goals.
    Dedicated group of people who understand the vision and truly want to be here.
    Managers are open to ideas and suggestions from new team members.

Cons

I would like to see more employee events to help continue building a strong team

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Lyris is poised to drive business growth. The platform has been re-calibrated for an empowered brand experience."

I have been working at Lyris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The existing domain expertise coupled with superior technology make for exciting times. We recently entertained several analysts and they all have validated our approach and vision. The new VP are all well seasoned and enthusiastic on our forward-thinking.

Cons

Most companies have incumbents so engagements are displacements where the unseating can be tough.

"Startup environment, highly motivated and energized team, strong new leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lyris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Joined Lyris recently. Felt very welcome by the team. Everyone is friendly, sincere, and hard working. Colleagues I met at Lyris today have been there a while, are excited about the new vision, and are working to capture the opportunity ahead with renewed startup energy. The new leadership that has been in place since 2013 has been executing sensible steps towards securing Lyris' future growth path.

I was speculating that this would be an opportune time to join Lyris. Now that I am part of the team I do find that confirmed. I give the leadership direction and staff a big thumbs up.Would recommend Lyris to anyone interested in a career opportunity.

Cons

Digital marketing is where it's at but it is also a highly competitive market place. Join the fun if you are ready to compete in the big league,

Advice to Management

Two thumbs up on the course we're on.

"The company is willing, but has NO idea how to truly be better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free soda. Free parking. Easy commute (if you are in SF or in Oakland). The benefits are okay as well.

Cons

Worst morale I've ever seen at a company. They demand every employee to be better. But when you ask management how to do so, they just say "be better". There is no direction from management that is actually helpful. Also, they are absolutely out of touch with what competitors are doing. Their best employees leave because they try to implement change, but when upper management sees no immediate success, they scrap plans. In the end, they do what is tried and true. Yes, that means the innovation is non-existent. This goes across every single department - but especially true in Sales, Marketing and Tech.

Advice to Management

Forget firing the CEO. Ask the Board what they truly want out of the company. Also, try poaching from competitors. Constantly hiring from outside the industry at the C-Level helps no one. That's not a fresh perspective. It's a naive perspective.

"it's a big mess....."

Pros

nothing positive to say about it

Cons

nepotism and management failure and promoting only the bad guys....

Advice to Management

introduce Ethics in your company first before to do anything else

"Not a great company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Lyris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

if you are lucky to get into certain teams there are some smart developers from whom you can learn a lot from.

Cons

Management is very opaque.
    No collaborative culture