M.C. Dean, Inc. Reviews in Dulles, VA | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
M.C. Dean, Inc. CEO Bill Dean
Bill Dean

Pros
  • Lots of opportunities for internal promotion (in 5 reviews)

• Decent benefits (which is slowly declining) (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor and unprofessional upper management (in 7 reviews)

• The pay is good but it will cost any semblance of a work-life balance (i (in 4 reviews)

"Industry Leading Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The organization is very innovative and aggressive in it's pursuit of excellence and securing business with sophisticated clients. For those that desire to be challenged in their career and gain personal satisfaction as participants in innovation and delivering successful programs for client, M.C. Dean is an organization that is led by a CEO who encourages/empowers those who have gained trust ... to make things happen! Never have i been short changed on tools, including the technology, in my work activities. Those that complain are usually not taking advantage of what they have, or have not put the forethought in to requesting what they need.

Cons

As with any aggressive organization that strives for excellence, the environment can create competitiveness. The organization does have individuals and some leaders who vie for executive attention. However, for most who are seasoned and have built tenure, M.C. Dean rewards employees who focuses on giving their best in support of the company and client first. The company will work you as hard as you allow it to, so it's up to the individual when its time to rest.

Advice to Management

Make sure you keep identifying leadership that puts their own agendas ahead of the company, and weed them out quickly.

"Paradise for Hard-working Professionals"

Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

M.C. Dean is a unique company with highly educated people who are experts in applied sciences. Every meeting, every interaction makes you feel like you are part of a Mensa group. If you work here, you'll notice how dedicated the employees are. The days in which you were the top-performing employee at your workplace are OVER -- and that is a good thing. Essentially, M.C. Dean is a paradise where hard-working individuals sharpen and challenge each other, simply by being penultimate professionals around each other. Yes, there are a few people who refuse to roll up their sleeves to do "petty work," but even these people are geniuses overflowing with knowledge. The best advice I can give you is this: bring an open mind.

The difference in thought leadership and approach between the various business groups might be construed as a negative, but I actually think it adds diversity to an already fascinating workplace. At the very top you have Bill Dean, a true visionary who is wickedly smart. He defies the common perception that family-owned businesses fall apart in the third generation. If anything, the company is faring better than ever in his hands! He knows every facet of his business and will fiercely defend his employees from naysayers. He is a generous man, not without his vices, but they do not typically bleed into the workplace.

Side note: For those seeking a position as Proposal Manager or Writer, you cannot do better than M.C. Dean. The Sr. Proposal Manager is one of the best people I have worked for, ever. She is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge about the company, the electrical industry, and the Commercial side of proposals. I'm not sure you can find a better blend of technical and soft skills than the Bids and Proposals group. The best part is, while being an excellent mentor, the Sr. Proposal Manager is not a micro-manager. How refreshing it is to work for her!

Overall, I love the company for the people, the diversity of thought, and the opportunity to learn many different skill sets in one company. If you relish the thought of conquering real-world problems with capable people by your side, then M.C. Dean is the place for you.

Cons

Some of the groups are a bit too autonomous, which can contribute to a feeling that everyone is on their own island. However, special events like the Tech Expo help to bring people together again. I also think upper management does a good job of invading different groups to hear from them, encourage them, and remind them that they are not alone.

Advice to Management

Try to bring more transparency across sectors and parts of the business. Also, try to standardize the company on the same technology platforms for internal business. I have never seen so many systems used disparately! Lastly, try to remove the bottleneck of only having one active system administrator.

"Not just a job, but a real career..."

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My overall experience at M.C. Dean is quite good. The work is very cool...we can drive around the metro area (or other regions of the country) and see the fruits of our labors. As an engineering firm, the projects are progressive and interesting. Furthermore, executive management is very approachable and generally easy to work with, and will sincerely consider recommendations if you have the capacity to present a good case.

I've been successful in shaping my position/role at M.C. Dean and feel that I don't have just a job, but a real career here.

Cons

The relocation to Tysons isn't ideal for many of us, although the new facility is going to be fantastic for engineering and all groups. Too bad management didn't solicit the opinions of staff before settling on the location. We all know that Tysons equals bottleneck rush hour traffic, unless of coarse, you are fortunate enough to use Metro. I expect individual managers will work with their employees to develop acceptable work schedule arrangements.

Advice to Management

Senior operations managers need more administrative staff to free them up to focus on growth and ensure the small, but very important details don't get dropped.

"Dedicated management and motivated workforce"

Current Employee - Manager in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Dulles, VA

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and above average pay. The senior management is engaged and committed to making employees successful by encouraging education, training, and career progression. Working here has been a great experience.

Cons

Company needs better horizontal communication.

Advice to Management

Communicate company goals to all the employees

"Great Opportunity"

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

M.C. Dean allows for opportunity to work on high level programs, world travel, great compensation and benefits. I have been with M.C. Dean for over 6 years and have been very happy my employment within this origination. Many other great people within the company!

Cons

There are always some growing pains with a privately held company but M.C. Dean strives to improve it's procedures and methods when possible.

Advice to Management

Development of a Project Management Office to refine the PM process and tools would be great!

"Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dulles, VA

Pros

M.C. Dean is a company that cares about it's employee's. If you are looking to work with the latest technologies and support Hi-Tech Industries such as the Internet, Telecom & Federal Government then M.C. Dean is the right choice.

Cons

I have been with M.C. Dean now for over 9 years and I have nothing negative to say.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work from my experience with an incredible range of projects to work on. I have been with the company over 18 years and enjoyed every day working with highly talented, intelligent and very honest group of professionals. Everyone treats each other as family member.

Cons

There is not much to complain about other than going through painful growing over the years. Just like any other company with a continuous growth trend, we had internal organizational problems that we learned to deal with and adjusted over the years. Recently, it has been stable and showing results of better management.

9. "OK company, so so benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. (Less than a year)

Pros

One can work independently. There is room to grow fast.

Cons

Benefits are standard, HR dept. is slow.
    Company culture is work, work. They don't promote socializing, nor host any events for employees except for a standard holiday party. In a nutshell this company makes you feel just like another number.

10. "Management"

Former Employee - Quality Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Quality Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and education if you want. Support from execs

Cons

Once in a position difficult to move around in the company

Advice to Management

Explore employee other skills. Give opportunity to expand in other areas of company

"RUN AWAY"

Current Employee - PM in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - PM in Dulles, VA

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Still requires 50+ hours a week.

Cons

Senior management leads with their ego. Lots of drug users in the company. Systems don't work and profit disappears from project finances. New systems are deployed without communication or training; this is very negative impact to the operations.

Advice to Management

Do you ever wonder why the company has a high turn over rate of employees at all levels? Reduce the number of VP's to lower overhead cost.