M.C. Dean, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
M.C. Dean, Inc. CEO Bill Dean
Bill Dean

Pros
  • Lots of opportunities for internal promotion (in 5 reviews)

• Decent benefits (which is slowly declining) (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor and unprofessional upper management (in 7 reviews)

• The pay is good but it will cost any semblance of a work-life balance (i (in 4 reviews)

1. "master electrician"

Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Dallas, TX

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

huge job-sites, gained some good experience

Cons

young inexperienced guys running crews, too much nepotism

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

2. "Electrician"

Former Employee - Electrician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Electrician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worse place on employment ever

Cons

MC dean might be a great company but not in the Atlanta area

Advice to Management

Change mgt. in the Atlanta location

3. "High tech company"

Former Employee - Administration in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Administration in Sterling, VA

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to learn and advance

Cons

Long hours at times, but overall great experience

5. "Good pay, mediocre benefits."

Current Employee - Assistant Project Lead in Ruther Glen, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Lead in Ruther Glen, VA

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good base salary. Hourly workers come out on top.

Cons

No maternity or paternity leave.

Advice to Management

Add paid family leave.

"Industry Leading Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The organization is very innovative and aggressive in it's pursuit of excellence and securing business with sophisticated clients. For those that desire to be challenged in their career and gain personal satisfaction as participants in innovation and delivering successful programs for client, M.C. Dean is an organization that is led by a CEO who encourages/empowers those who have gained trust ... to make things happen! Never have i been short changed on tools, including the technology, in my work activities. Those that complain are usually not taking advantage of what they have, or have not put the forethought in to requesting what they need.

Cons

As with any aggressive organization that strives for excellence, the environment can create competitiveness. The organization does have individuals and some leaders who vie for executive attention. However, for most who are seasoned and have built tenure, M.C. Dean rewards employees who focuses on giving their best in support of the company and client first. The company will work you as hard as you allow it to, so it's up to the individual when its time to rest.

Advice to Management

Make sure you keep identifying leadership that puts their own agendas ahead of the company, and weed them out quickly.

"Design Engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Fire Alarm Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Staff Fire Alarm Engineer in Washington, DC

Pros

Good entry level salary
    Employees are treated well generally
    Interesting Jobs

Cons

Weak 401k matching
    Some prickly leadership

Advice to Management

Improve 401k matching

"Pretty Awesome"

Current Employee - Senior Group Leader in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Group Leader in Washington, DC

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I don't often write comments on social media but felt compelled to tonight after reading recent negative glassdoor comments on M.C. Dean. I was probably the manager who did actually turn in the performance review and the other PM was already turning gray in his 20's when we first started working together 13 years ago--fact checking is important! But the real reason to respond is that I just came back from a two day trip to Richmond for a management collaboration/training session and a spectacular Tech Expo event highlighting the innovative work M.C. Dean is doing. It's too bad the past employee wasn't here to see or take part in this event, or the first Tech Expo six months ago. To see the proud looks on the young and older engineers' and technicians' faces as they walked through their processes and products was a enough to debunk any rumors of tedium and widespread unhappiness. All upper and middle management was fully engaged. Bill Dean himself participated in all the presentations, driving questions and drawing attention to special details. It is pretty apparent that Bill is not running the company into the ground. M.C. Dean isn't going to be like other companies--and why would we want it to be? I've stayed for the people, the projects, and the opportunities an innovative company can offer. It's not always easy but in the end, as Bill might say, it can be pretty frickin' awesome.

Cons

I'd like to see more training on internal applications (a problem that is easily solved).

"Challenging & Fulfilling Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

M.C. Dean has provided me the opportunity to work on some of largest and most challenging construction projects in the Nation. In my 9 years with the company, I have seen significant advancement both in both the company and myself. I think a lot of that originates from our CEO's mandate that everything we do or touch shall be performed at "world-class" standards.

Cons

The size and scope of projects in which M.C. Dean excels don't always happen in your backyard, which occasionally requires some flexibility in relocation or commute location.

Advice to Management

Need to deepen our emphasis on developing new and rising stars whether they be apprentices, recent grads, or other new hires.

"Fake Reviews"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is clear that HR has flooded this page with positive reviews. Just a few months ago, M.C. Dean was barely scraping by in the 2-star range and Bill had something around a 29% approval rating. I am embarrassed to have worked for a company that would inflate their image like this, but of course nothing they do is trustworthy, given the fact Bill Dean runs the business. A quick Google search will show you all you need to know about the man.

Pros: decent pay (read: combat pay), intelligent coworkers (even the guys in the field), interesting projects, autonomy in many roles

Cons

No middle management makes many junior roles autonomous but also unclear. There is no real, clear job description or career path for entry- or junior- level workers.

Clearly untrustworthy. I just got off the phone with a current employee to ask about the inflated rating on this page. He confirmed that they've asked people to submit five-star ratings. Despicable.

No one is happy here. You will not find anyone who says, "this is my dream job!" at M.C. Dean. I had so many coworkers go out to lunch with me, only to completely vent about how horrible it is. I left as soon as I could.

Jobs are either incredibly boring and tedious or they'e so stressful you'll never get any sleep. My project manager, in his 30's, literally went gray before my eyes over the course of the nine months I worked under him. Sad.

Bill is running his grandfather's business into the ground. Also sad. His reputation for partying, booze, drugs, and being an all-around difficult person have resulted in many questions being raised about the integrity of M.C. Dean's projects. Luckily, many intelligent electricians and engineers create quality work here, which is the only saving grace for this company.

Advice to Management

Create a mentoring program which allows new employees to learn the ropes and create a clear career path for them within the company.

Create a layer of middle management to help properly manage your employees. My annual review was pushed out 10 weeks because my manager was so busy. I was slated for a raise, but I never got it, because she was so busy she forgot to submit the paperwork. I left four months later and STILL never saw a dime of that raise.

Listen to your employees. If they're unhappy, there's a reason for it. Your turnover rate is incredibly high, as I mentioned in my exit interview (Christina, I am looking at you).

Create an incentive program, or holiday bonus, or compensation based on productivity or utilization. It is insulting to receive a $25 Giant Foods gift card each Christmas. I feel like I am Mr. Griswold.

"Paradise for Hard-working Professionals"

Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at M.C. Dean, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

M.C. Dean is a unique company with highly educated people who are experts in applied sciences. Every meeting, every interaction makes you feel like you are part of a Mensa group. If you work here, you'll notice how dedicated the employees are. The days in which you were the top-performing employee at your workplace are OVER -- and that is a good thing. Essentially, M.C. Dean is a paradise where hard-working individuals sharpen and challenge each other, simply by being penultimate professionals around each other. Yes, there are a few people who refuse to roll up their sleeves to do "petty work," but even these people are geniuses overflowing with knowledge. The best advice I can give you is this: bring an open mind.

The difference in thought leadership and approach between the various business groups might be construed as a negative, but I actually think it adds diversity to an already fascinating workplace. At the very top you have Bill Dean, a true visionary who is wickedly smart. He defies the common perception that family-owned businesses fall apart in the third generation. If anything, the company is faring better than ever in his hands! He knows every facet of his business and will fiercely defend his employees from naysayers. He is a generous man, not without his vices, but they do not typically bleed into the workplace.

Side note: For those seeking a position as Proposal Manager or Writer, you cannot do better than M.C. Dean. The Sr. Proposal Manager is one of the best people I have worked for, ever. She is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge about the company, the electrical industry, and the Commercial side of proposals. I'm not sure you can find a better blend of technical and soft skills than the Bids and Proposals group. The best part is, while being an excellent mentor, the Sr. Proposal Manager is not a micro-manager. How refreshing it is to work for her!

Overall, I love the company for the people, the diversity of thought, and the opportunity to learn many different skill sets in one company. If you relish the thought of conquering real-world problems with capable people by your side, then M.C. Dean is the place for you.

Cons

Some of the groups are a bit too autonomous, which can contribute to a feeling that everyone is on their own island. However, special events like the Tech Expo help to bring people together again. I also think upper management does a good job of invading different groups to hear from them, encourage them, and remind them that they are not alone.

Advice to Management

Try to bring more transparency across sectors and parts of the business. Also, try to standardize the company on the same technology platforms for internal business. I have never seen so many systems used disparately! Lastly, try to remove the bottleneck of only having one active system administrator.