M Gibson Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender

I have been working at M Gibson Hotels part-time

Pros

I first started with the company in 2008 for the employee discount. I grew to love the hospitality industry, my fellow coworkers, and the guests at the hotel. I have the utmost respect for Mr Gibson and his company, they have always gone above and beyond for me. They even allowed me to open the hotel bar, after having to get a waiver to close it because it didn't do well. I have nothing but good experiences with this company. In my years of service, I have seen many employees trained and promoted within the company. I have personally seen three front desk employees trained as AGM's and one houskeeper. A couple of front desk employees were trained for the sales department. A cook was promoted to Food & Beverage Manager, so I know for a fact you can grow within this company. It takes hard work and dedication, and this seems to be something most people lack. For those that say it can't be done, tells me they lack the dedication and work ethic. These opportunities for employees happened to be one of the things I admired about Mr Gibson. being a small business owner myself, I realize most people want a paycheck, but they don't want to work!

Cons

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this company.

2. "Integrity is non exisitant in the company"

Former Employee - Flunky
    Former Employee - Flunky

Pros

A paycheck while searching for a better position..

Cons

No growth, lies to your face, there is no accountability or integrity. Please if you are looking for a paycheck while searching for a career, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Admit mistakes, tell the truth, and hold management accountable for actions.

3. "Guest Services Representative"

Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at M Gibson Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing team of people to work with, job is pretty easy once you finish training and get a little more comfortable with everything,

Cons

Pay isn't great but it is comparable to the other hotels in the area, slightly better actually. Not a ton of room for movement upward in this specific hotel, but since it's franchised and we have multiple hotels, we can move to higher positions within the overall company

4. "Lots of promise with little follow through"

I have been working at M Gibson Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job. Lots of whiny guests but not so bad over all. Great team of other employees at the right location, but not all properties may have the same results

Cons

Terrible pay. For a company that makes so much money over so many hotels you would think they could afford to pay their front line employees a decent wage without stuffing their pockets with more dollars. Also the managers seem to promote those that suck up instead of those that actually do the work.

Advice to Management

Pay your base employees more. and Hire better managers. Happy employees means happy guests.

5. "Dishonest, No Growth Strategy, Poor Wages & Benefits"

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Disclose in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Disclose in Knoxville, TN

I worked at M Gibson Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mediocrity is acceptable (not sure if this is a pro)

Cons

- Zero advancement opportunities
    -Zero opportunities to grow financially
    - Great sell during hiring process, afterwards your "bonus" (if you even have one) or salary improvement will be renegotiated due to "budget issues." How can you have budget issues in the strongest hotel performance trend in the last decade? Someone is lining their pockets at the expense of their staff.
    -Chaotic, moody, & irratic leadership, poor employee mentoring, employees seen as expenses rather than professional valued human beings

Advice to Management

Get with the times. You can't keep quality associates if you pay them embarrassingly low wages - especially if you hint at strong improvement during the salary negotiation process. Immoral - misguided - just plain wrong.

6. "These people are schysters who should be prosecuted."

I worked at M Gibson Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of one.

Cons

Users with no care for how they use people. Make promises they have no intentions of keeping. Lie to get prime employees then renig on promised bonuses. Can their top talent in order to hire their lesser competent buddies.

Advice to Management

Karma

7. "Family style environment"

Pros

Dedicated to operations excellence. Best in class mentality.

Cons

Training is lacking. Need a better system of process training.

8. "0 advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alcoa, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alcoa, TN

Pros

Good sell in hiring process.

Cons

Pay is unsatisfactory, benefits are not competitive, recognition is not satisfactory, one person will sell out the next person to cover there own selves,

Advice to Management

Micro management - STOP, appreciate - employees, make sure you look into ALL ISSUES, CORPORATE IS BOGUS!