KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 82 of over 89 reviews

3.3
M/I Homes Chairman, President, and CEO Robert H. Schottenstein
Robert H. Schottenstein
Pros
  • "To my knowledge there are no pros to work for this company(in 3 reviews)

• "Have worked at other builders and this is the best culture I have experienced(in 3 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management treats employees poorly(in 6 reviews)

• "Work load made taking vacation time more hassle than it was worth(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    Talk anonymously with Real Estate professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of M/I Homes and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Great Company to Work For

Oct 20, 2021 - Marketing Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

They do really care about their employees. They give 3 weeks of PTO from day 1, have good healthcare benefits, lots of opportunity for internal growth, pay is competitive, merit based pay raises every year. CEO is a great man and is very personable, takes the time to learn peoples names no matter what position you work in. He does a lot for this company and the people who work for him

Cons

No 401k match, they do some profit share thing instead that I dont understand fully No ability to work remotely

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

Nov 24, 2021 - Entry Level Chemical Engineer in Brookfield, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great health and wellness benefits - Great 401K plan - Flex time and Work From Home benefits

Cons

- Low starting vacation - Not very competitive compensation - Low HR involvement in making it a fun and exciting environment

3. 3.0
      Current Employee

Formal Atmosphere, unobtainable commission structure

Sep 22, 2021 - New Home Consultant in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Homes, good quality materials and fellow New Home Consultants are nice

Cons

Commission structure seems like you have the opportunity to increase your rate but it’s actually rigged so that you never reach the higher percentage.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Clueless

Sep 24, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

They got a nice new office.

Cons

Management is clueless. They don't care about people...and don't have the experience necessary to run the division. Management enforces silos...not teamwork. No accountability.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Prepare to Be Micromanaged!

Sep 17, 2021 - Permit Coordinator in Raleigh, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are pretty nice. Some of them.

Cons

You will never move up or be trusted to do your job.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Review

Jul 12, 2021 - Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, caring people, challenging environment

Cons

Changing policies with changing times

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Company

Jun 27, 2021 - Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay was decent and Management was great.

Cons

None that stood out. I enjoyed my time there.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great people. Great pay

Jun 26, 2021 - Construction Manager in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is great, very family oriented

Cons

Long hours. Most trades are subpar

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Would NEVER work for this company again

Jul 19, 2021 - Construction Manager in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are no Pros to working here at all

Cons

-HR doesn't care about the employees. One VP in the Charlotte office caused 6 people to quit due to terrible leadership and boldly lying to them as well as cheating them out of bonus money and he also got one person fired by threatening to quit if she was not let go. -When reported to corporate HR that a VP was misogynistic and created a difficult/ hostile work environment for the women in the office, HR did nothing. -Good ole boys club. Women are not listened to and trusted. The regional president protects the charlotte division president and the charlotte division president is either incompetent or enables his VPs to do whatever they please without oversight. I am not simply a disgruntled worker. This company is horribly run from the top down. the CEO inherited his position when his father and uncle died and treats the company like it is his personal trust fund. -The medical benefits are terrible. There is no copay which means $50-$150 office visits are billed a couple of weeks after your appointment. Simple office visits to the doctor... nothing special.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Started out Great and then Greedy Management Destroyed Trust and Culture!!!

Jul 6, 2021 - Construction Manager in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I started Construction Staff was very team oriented and helped each other.

Cons

Over the past year things have changed tremendously. Now Construction Managers are throwing each other under the bus over bonuses. Director of Construction is not paying bonus even when it’s earned. Management doesn’t give you an explanation of your bonus, they just expect you to be grateful for whatever they decide to pay you. I caught them changing negative surveys from one CM to me but it took me 2 months to get them to admit it. I was told they would make it right but instead I lost close to $3000 and the other CM was awarded Builder of the Year. There is some shenanigans going on at the top and we are loosing Construction Managers faster than they can hire more. Of course this just adds more work to the rest of us with the understanding we are in a no win situation. When you are covered up with houses and homeowners are not happy it just continues to create more and more negative surveys. In turn we are working harder and responsible for more but making less because of surveys and bonus structure. I see why a lot of people are leaving and I hope there is still some jobs out there for me because it’s time for me to make a change as well.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 82 Reviews