M/I Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sales consultant"

Current Employee - New Home Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - New Home Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at M/I Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are given the tools and set up for success. The management team is one of the best I have worked for. A very strong support team to answer questions and do whatever they can to help you succeed. If you are self motivated and treat your community like you own it, the only limit is the one you put on yourself. You are treated with respect and there is a lot of team work. This truly is the best builder I have worked for all the way around. They care about the buyers and the employees. The culture is amazing!! The people that work here are amazing!!

Cons

As with any sales position with a builder you have to set boundaries and take your days off so you don't get burned out. Management encourages down time, its buyers that don't always understand that you deserve days off. I have looked for cons and haven't found anything else I would change. This place is great.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, it's working and we are so blessed to have you.

2. "It was not bad."

Former Employee - CAD Drafter in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - CAD Drafter in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at M/I Homes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good co-workers. Not mirco-managed.

Cons

Work load made taking vacation time more hassle than it was worth. Small department, no advancement path

"Can be a fine place depending on division and position/department"

I worked at M/I Homes full-time

Pros

Mi Homes is definitely a major player in the production homebuilding scene. They are growing at a steady clip, and were even doing so during the recession through acquisitions.

If you are in sales, this company could be for you. This company is very much a sales-centric organization, and even more so than other national builders. The compensation structure for commissioned sales agents is strong compared with similar companies. Because price, location, and the tangible product are what drive sales, the company's performance in this domain can result in a successful outcome for the sales professional. In other words, the sales consultant isn't held back by what he/she is selling.

The corporate finance team is strong, and seems to make very analyzed, rational and responsible decisions.

The people genuinely care about the quality of the product.

Loyalty is something this company seems to really value in it's employees. This is a can be good thing.

Since the corporation is still very much controlled by the founding team, MI Homes doesn't have the same centralized and bureacratic feel that others have at this size. This is a double-edged sword.

Cons

While not terrible, if you are on the operational side, i.e. construction, purchasing, architecture, or land development, there are probably better places to be.

MI Homes is a publicly traded company. The CEO is the son of one of the founders, and the board retains a lot of it's original influence and character. They have a lot to be proud of, and I respect them for the industry professionals that they are. Unfortunately, as the company becomes larger, this holds MI back in a couple of key respects. Generally, family-founded companies, while doing a great job in earlier times, struggle in operations and human resources as the company gets larger and larger. The management team holds on tight to original ways of doing things and the original personnel, usually for sentimental reasons. When they go public, some companies will replace those in family held senior positions to mitigate this problem. That hasn't happened with this company.

MI Homes lags in operational fortitude compared to its competitors. Operations haven't grown with the rest of the company. This lack of emphasis on operations has affected the company's profitability in the past, resulting in a weaker showing compared to other national builders. Operations are often treated as an after-thought with this company.

Loyalty is something this company seems to really value in it's employees. This is can be a bad thing. There are a lot legacy employees in upper management at this company. These are people that were with the company prior to it going public, and often were with the company during it's infancy. A lot of these early people were rewarded for their loyalty with promotions to senior positions at both the divisional and regional levels. The problem is that they weren't promoted necessarily for their management skills. One of the many examples of this: In one division, the VP of purchasing would regularly lead the weekly construction staff meetings. Not because he wanted to, had to, or even meant to. But because the VP of construction was so grossly bad at his job, the only time anything of substance was discussed or decided on was when another manager would attend. It later became clear that the VP of construction was retained not for his competence as a manager, but because the senior leadership appreciated his longstanding loyalty.

This isn't to put all legacy personnel in a bad light. For instance there are some division presidents that go back to close to the company's founding, and they clearly deserve and should be in those positions.

Advice to Management

In conclusion, MI Homes is great if you are in sales or in corporate functions. Not so much for construction, land development, purchasing or architecture.

4. "Perfect for Sales Professionals"

Current Employee - New Home Sales Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - New Home Sales Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at M/I Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High commission structure... Entrepreneurial approach to division. Good benefits. Excellent earnings potential. Good leadership. Good marketing for a National builder

Cons

Challenging construction processes and turnover. Small by comparison to the big builders. Setting proper expectations can lead to much better results

Advice to Management

Keep working on good leadership and continue to compensate successful employees

5. "Loan Specialist/Processor"

Former Employee - Loan Specialist/Processor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Loan Specialist/Processor in Austin, TX

I worked at M/I Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working here.

Cons

Management doesn't support their employees. They micromanage you to the extreme and have unrealistic expectations for the work they expect/demand to be completed. The salary offered here is lower than industry standard and way lower for the work you are expected to do in this position at this company. They dont understand or care about all the time and work needed/required to get a loan processed from beginning to end so they make unrealistic demands. If you are able to get all your files in order and schedule to take some vacation time no one covers your files while you are off. If anything goes wrong with a file the processor is always blamed and is expected to catch every issue on the file even though management claims to review the files before assigned to a processor. They always push the blame onto their employees regardless of the situation. They have a new processing system (Cadence) which is the worst and slowest in the industry. It takes twice as long to process a file in this new system and is task driven. The processor is expected to do all the initial set up/ordering, processing, restructuring, closing screens and post closing on the files. Management makes you feel inadequate and like you don’t know how to do your job regardless of how much experience you have. They tell you to ask for help if you need it but if you ask then they want to know about your time management and what you are doing wrong not to be able to complete all their unrealistic demands. If you address issues on your files with management they respond with do you need a tissue and still doesn’t offer any support. And if you do or say something that they don’t care for then they make your working environment unbearable. The PTO time is limited based on when you were hired, only 7 holidays, medical benefits are horrible, and you aren’t eligible for a raise until you have been there a full year but they only issue raises in October.

Advice to Management

Replace the Management team.

6. "Made a lot of money"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at M/I Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good locations for new communities

Cons

Growing too fast, don't take care of the detail in new community operations

Advice to Management

Take time to care about the details and all team members

7. "Sales Counselor"

Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Raleigh, NC

I worked at M/I Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lenient. Not micro-managed. Easy to communicate with.

Cons

There tend to be cliques, among personnel.

Advice to Management

Management was good at their job.

"Great Potential but very hard to achieve success"

Former Employee - Construction Superintendent in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Construction Superintendent in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at M/I Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good earning potential on paper
    Business seems to be growing
    Base pay seems higher than other companies for similar positions

Cons

Workload very heavy
    Focused on customer survey responses and if not 100% unable to achieve bonus
    All departments impact one another so if one leaves a bad impression you can bust your butt and get nothing
    Management suport lacking
    Vendors are overworked and lack of quality workmanship with no accountability
    They say customer ratification is #1 and don't deliver unless ready but when it comes down to it you are going to deliver especially if end of month, quarter and especially year. When it comes down to it closings are more important than customer satisfaction.

Advice to Management

While understanding customer satisfaction is utmost important you must realize there are many people who under the best scenario won't score perfect 10's on every question. While you are now penalizing workers when you can't get or won't get a perfect score. Many times a bad score isn't the fault of any employer most were due to vendor issues. You can't control if a vendor ships a defective light fixture multiple times thus causing the customer to become irritated. An employee can't fix this type of problem while being held to work with specific vendors. But an experience like this may result in a score less than 10 and when it does it impacts, sales, construction, finance and design center employees.

9. "This company does not value lower level employees"

Former Employee - Loan Processor
    Former Employee - Loan Processor

I worked at M/I Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, you have a job

Cons

Upper Management do not value there lower level employees nor value them . Long hours and do not want to pay overtime to keep up with production.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees and value them and look to promote within.

10. "Best Builder I've worked for"

Current Employee - Construction Superintendent in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Construction Superintendent in Dallas, TX

I have been working at M/I Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Independence , pay , and culture to make it yours.

Cons

Purchasing growing pains -takeoffs and getting t/v's paid.