M&T Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
M&T Bank Chairman and CEO, M&T Bank Corporation and M&T Bank Bob Wilmers
Bob Wilmers

Pros
Cons
  • There were no downsides to working at M&T (in 49 reviews)

• Salary employees work life balance is not always a good balance (in 16 reviews)

1. "Mortgage Loan Officer"

I worked at M&T Bank full-time

Pros

absolutely nothing, These guys are a pure scam, stay away.

Cons

Health insurance is a scam.
    Management Has no Idea what the hell is going on.
    yes, they train you, take you to buffalo, NY to Educate, which is really nice but, you will work like a dog, no appreciation, oh and you have to pay for your own events and if you want to have a specific market? you have to pay for it out of your pocket.

Advice to Management

M&T Mortgage positions are scam!
    So I used to work for Credit Union, then i was recruited by M&T bank, for Mortgage loan officer position.

I told the recruiter that cannot accept loan officer position because it was all about strict commission, there were several back and fort phone calls, I was told the salary was negotiable, so then I went into the first interview, went well, then second round of interview with Regional manager, went very well, Then the final interview was with Hiring manager for Paramus, NJ location. They decided to hire me! Great! I am happy!

the recruiter called with the offer, tried to low ball me with base + commission structure, I had informed the recruiter, no offense, I will much rather stick with credit union because I was given a base salary which was enough to pay for my needs and the MORTGAGE!!

so then recruiter hangs up, calls back in 48 hrs., with matching my current base salary at credit union plus commission, he makes the contract, every thing is legit!, I sign the contract, and before I send him back the signed copy there was something in my mind which felt kind of weird out of place, so I called the recruiter back and asked him further questions, I asked so what is my objective with this job? he replies, I prospect, I build the Book of Business, I book loans.

Ok, all was in the contract, also, on the contract it was listed, that I would not be bounded to certain loans per month, my contract is completely different than other LO's employed by M&T and I asked why is it that way? He replies, because he like my resume and I am going to do great and I am on base salary plan.

So comes the first day, I had a decent conversation with manager, he tells me look just get comfortable, you are taking off to BUFFALO for training and just keep in mind you are fresh new in the industry, it is going to take you good 8 months to a 12 months to understand the language and process and you will do great..

Then I come back from training, I knew in my mind, I had to get rolling so I started concentrated on sales I connected with my previous contacts CPA's/Attorneys/ broker/agents/builders I started forming referral system on my own! Didn’t need any guidance, I knew what I had to do to get the job done!

My manager advised me to stand down! He said take your time! You are new! Finish your training! That’s what we all were told but I knew deep in my heart some thing was up, So I kept on hustling, seminars after seminars, night, days, weekends, on holidays I was always prospecting. Created a great book of business.

then one day my manager asked me to take one of my colleague along with me so he can do the speech because the manager was busy and that colleague had more experience than my manager 30+ years. (I didn't ask for it) I could of have done every thing on my own just like I normally do, but I didn't mind.

After few days that same colleague asked for split on every sell 60% him vs. 40% me. I disagree! And that’s where all the shadiness came out. My manager asked me to stop selling and get done with training, and then when I started doing that, I got terminated because my numbers weren’t up the par.

And I was with company for 5 months.
    For five months, I have done a great job! Reaching out to the community, making contacts, connecting with people with out needing any help.

Furthermore, upon my termination, I was told I will be paid for two weeks, but not really that was a lie, the human resource relations just called today morning saying I wouldn't get paid..
    There goes my mortgage payment!!

Do your self a favor STAY AWAYA!!!

Benefits sucks, Health Insurance - SCAM, worst on the planet earth!

2. "Systems Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid time off is good

Cons

Everything else about the company but especially management. They also discriminate against age.

"Bad company"

Pros

I guess it would be a good company if you weren't required to work in a contaminated work environment.

Cons

Do not drink the water at the Millsboro location. It contains TCE and will make you very sick. Google "Millsboro M&T Bank Water TCE" if you don't believe me.

5. "Wholesale Senior Data Entry Clerk"

Former Employee - Senior Wholesale Operator in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Wholesale Operator in Baltimore, MD

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no best reason to work for this company in the wholesale department.. It's the worst job that I ever had.

Cons

Management in the wholesale department need to learn how to talk to the employees. Never no what time your day will end. Keep away from this company!!

Advice to Management

Managers in the wholesale department need more training in how to take to the employees.

6. "teller"

Pros

Cant't find any good reasons to work here.

Cons

It's a horrible place to work.

7. "Unappreciative - If you are a screw up, they will love you!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Wilmington, DE

Pros

Salary is decent. Cafeteria is nice.

Cons

Benefits not great. If you are a hardworker, they hone in on that and give you most of the work, so other workers can get away with either coasting on their seniority or doing whatever they want. Instead of appreciating good workers, they use and abuse them. Administrative Assistants are treated poorly and never included in anything as part of the team. They are taken advantage of and treated horribly. I made a horrible mistake working for them!

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same,not just the people you think are special because they've been working there for decades. If an employee is blatantly taking advantage, don't pretend you don't see it and do something about it! Treat Admins like part of the team instead of slaves.

8. "Horrible branch managers and corporate is a joke"

Former Employee - Bank Teller
    Former Employee - Bank Teller

Pros

my co-workers were the only pro about working here

Cons

Was fired for calling off sick once, for a four hour shift with plenty of notice. Had no other discrepancies as an employee. Managers also make you break procedures and policies to help themselves or their friends.

Advice to Management

Hire better management. Offer better insurance plans. Respect your employees.

9. "Working here will not make you happy. Despicable."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Omaha, NE

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Banker's hours, always something new to learn, but not much else.

I would give it zero stars if possible.

Cons

OFFICE POLITICS. HR will never be helpful or reliable. Untrustworthy employees. This is definitely not a place to make friends. In my branch there was a little circle of favorites who did a lot of complaining about and criticizing tellers to the head of the "in-crowd" (branch manager). They don't care about tellers and view them as expendable and replaceable.

As a teller I was treated like a dog. I sincerely liked the work I did and tried my hardest to succeed and get along with supervisors who would constantly put me down in front of customers and other employees (I had to because they were part of the in-crowd and if I tried to stand up for myself I was immediately squashed by management). In three years of work I got one raise, ONE PERCENT of my ten dollars and fifty cents per hour. What a slap in the face. Like I said, I was treated like a dog--trained to bend over backward for management who would NEVER give me the promotion/compensation/recognition I deserved for the extreme amount of effort output. Got written up for every little thing even though I always met my referral goals and had minimal differences.

If you have a personal problem, M&T doesn't want to hear about it, and DEFINITELY doesn't want to support or encourage you. They just want you to screw in your smile and jump through the hoops set before you.

Advice to Management

Don't follow your employees to the bathroom and wait outside the door for them to come out so you can scold them for taking too much time away from your work area. (this happened at my branch all the time more than once, to more than one person) And stop playing favorites--don't ruin people. Have some compassion. Stop treating your tellers like garbage and giving them false hope when all you intend to do is "take out the trash." Stop rewarding the sociopaths who destroy office morale and tear down and embarrass other employees in front of people. Have some decency. Have some humanity. Most of you have sold out--evaluate yourself and ask if this is really the kind of person you want to be.

10. "New Employee has No Respect or Say"

Pros

There are several other banks, please apply some place else. You deserve better.

Cons

Very negative environment , you feel like you are working for one person, NOT for a company.:(

Advice to Management

Please respect NEW Employees

11. "Not the best place to work"

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Buffalo, NY

Pros

There are very few pros to working at M&T. The commute wasn't horrible but other than that - this is not the best place to work or do business.

Cons

There is a horrible work environment, the company doesn't care about it's employees, the company is self serving and will do what it can to do as little for it's employees as possible. I would NEVER recommend anyone work at M&T Bank - EVER!

Advice to Management

Learn to care more about your employees - this is a horrible place to work - step your game up! Understand that your employees are people and not machines.