MAA "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

MAA Reviews

Updated Jan 16, 2020

3.8
MAA Chairman, President, and CEO H. Eric Bolton Jr. (no image)
H. Eric Bolton Jr.

"Decent company"

Property Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at MAA for more than 5 years

Pros

They are very supportive of their employees. Fair and open.

Cons

Upper management is available when needed, however some micro manage.

MAA2017-04-19

"Company has changed"

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at MAA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Training Opportunities, Apartment Discount, Stock Purchase Option, Decent Pay

Cons

Upper Management is unfeeling. Company has lost the care for employees. It's all about the dollar now

Advice to Management

Listen and pay attention to lower level employees

MAA2017-04-09

"Don't really care about long term employees"

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at MAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The employee discount is nice, and the benefits are pretty good

Cons

Upper management is very absent and hard to get in touch with. They are not very involved with what's going on on-site. Employees are not paid enough for what they are asked to do

Advice to Management

Reach out to your on-site employees every so often and

MAA2017-02-22
  4. "Good company to work for even if lower pay"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at MAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing Benefits, lots of training, National company that has many long term members. Pays higher commission that most other property management firms including on renewals.

Cons

There is a definite pecking order. You cannot communicate with upper management without it going through your superiors. New ideas do not seem to be welcome.

Advice to Management

Be more open to new ideas that come from people other than management. You would be surprised what your leasing team sees, encounters and can offer to make life easier.

MAA2017-01-19

"Happy and Frustrated Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at MAA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The core values really set MAA apart from other companies. It can be an amazing company to work for if you are under the right leadership. There is training lots of support from the corporate office and the benefits are great. It is a growing yet stable company. Upper management does care about their employees in a sense of trying to get to know everyone.

Cons

It is pretty unsettling when you are told by a your superviser and additional higher management to intentionally keep things from HR and to keep something from additional upper management. This has happened on at least two separate occasions. There is a lot of favoritism given to maintenance. They get to get away with so many things that the office can't get away with. They have a different set of rules they have to abide by. There is favoritism to the "pretty people" If you are young and have the "cute" factor, you get more attention from management. If you are overweight and not pretty you have a black mark against you.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a check and balance system for keeping everyone accountable to the Core Values. It is in the review but that is a joke because it is solely one persons opinion. One can not talk openly about their concerns or feedback they may have. And please do not put a generic comment about talking to Upper Management about my concerns, because I can not. It is the same person writing the generic comment on the apartment ratings website "Thank you for your feedback. Please share your concerns with the office" If someone goes to HR they have a black mark against them from the upper management. I am not a "problem employee", before anyone thinks that this is coming from an angry employee. I just wish something could be changed about the way the system is set up. We were told after they did the big company survey that they were going to open up the line of communication and be able to freely talk to anyone but sadly that is not the case. The words that came out of their mouth are true but there are penalties and consequences if one says something-even in a constructive manner.

MAA2017-01-18
  6. "MAA"

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at MAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great envrionment amazing co-workers good benefits great opportunities

Cons

management says one thing and expects another corporate offices are communicating with upper management appropriate expectations. micromanges employees

Advice to Management

ensure your core values/ brighter view are supported by all management.

MAA2017-01-12
  7. "Fantastic company, shame about the buyout"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at MAA full-time

Pros

Fantastic company to work for- wonderful upper management

Cons

Drastic changes in pay/hours/job responsibilities due to buyout by MAA

Advice to Management

Fight for cross-training and stronger team goals... also, what is with the holiday hours? Who is coming in between 10am-5pm (or at all) on the 4th of July???

MAA2016-11-28

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at MAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training is great. Capital money is available to fix issues on property. I believe their are very genuine people at the corporate level even if they misguided about what is going on at the site level.

Cons

Overworked and seriously underpaid!! The expectations are incredibly high, which would be more tolerable if the pay wasn't so low. Upper management has no idea the sacrifices and time that their on-site teams are putting in to benefit the residents because overtime is just not allowed. I have experienced multiple employees working for hours "off the clock" because they refuse to let the job go undone or disappoint residents or move-ins but do not want to get in trouble for their hours. Your policy of "shaving off" overtime is a joke. If I'm taking time away from my personal life because something vital has to be done then why should I be punished by "getting rid of my hours". There should be some benefit for the dedication and, in my experience, it most definitely won't be in the form of praise.

Advice to Management

Ranting is not my objective, but if this company does not start adhering to their mission statement and values, they will continue to lose valuable, dedicated employees. It's easy to understand that stockholders are a priority and must make their profit, but there is a right way and a wrong way to go about it. Please don't continue to do it at the expense of your residents and employees.

MAA2016-09-10

"Not worth it"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at MAA full-time

Pros

Company has great benefits, time off and sick time. Benefits are very affordable and co-pays are very low. Uniform shirts are provided so it makes it easy to dress for work.

Cons

I gave my notice because of the property manager and regional vice president. Property manager doesn't do it according to the policies in our company it is done her way. When I was confronted on this I brought up the policy and it was totally dismissed as we have to do things her way. Regional vice president is a joke. Comes in the office all smiles and fake, walks in and becomes a bull dog about pricing and renewals and leases. The fake high pitched "HI TEAM" is really just an opening line she does on every property, like she is the one who gets the leases. She needs to sit at the property for a full week and do what we do, then her fake smiley voice would go away. I think higher ups lose the on site feeling after so many years being in upper management. A back to reality month would be a good thing for them to experience.

Advice to Management

Stop with the fakeness and come at us REAL. Also, I think they should do exit interviews of all people who leave the company and find out why they really left, not the check box on the form you have to fill out that you are leaving.

MAA2016-05-26

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at MAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The other employees are awesome and pretty down to earth, lots of beautiful properties; the company has amazing costumer service which equals happy residents...in the end that makes for happy employees; upper management actually pays attention to what you have to say; very organized

Cons

the pay is not as competitive as other companies; upper management will undermine you to residents and don't have your back, when they are the ones who put the policies into place; cheesy staff meetings and don't get anything accomplished which wastes everyone's time.

Advice to Management

Great job just make sure to stick with policies equally for everyone for fair housing purposes. Don't just give in because a resident is temporarily unhappy. Not worth making your employees look bad and possibly getting sued.

MAA2015-10-10