MAC Cosmetics Reviews | Glassdoor

MAC Cosmetics Reviews

Updated September 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great pay, Great employee discount (in 52 reviews)

• Mac has great health benefits, huge employee discount, and Mac gives its employees items from each collection to promote sales (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance at Least for me was impossible to keep up with (in 114 reviews)

• Like many others have mentioned there is absolutely no work life balance (in 43 reviews)

1. "Loved my job!"

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Mishawaka, IN
    Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Mishawaka, IN

I worked at MAC Cosmetics (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative environment, awesome coworkers, rewarding. Every day was something different so it kept thinks interesting. I loved being able to be hands on and teach clients!

Cons

It's hard working every weekend. It was also hard to request time off. Some locations don't have much room for growth.

2. "Good experience but difficult and frustrating environment to work in"

Pros

Good benefits in healthcare and 401k, meet great people, gratis program,excellent employee discount, paid holidays and generous sick time for full time

Cons

Work life balance is extremely difficult, corporate departments do not communicate with each other or the field team effectively, which causes miscommunication or over-clarifying to in store employees company directives, emotionally reactive company, not on top of social media marketing, company is stuck in old school ways that aren't relevant in today's competitive landscape, technology within the company is incredibly archaic, not even feedback on how the company is doing to employees to share concerns and ask questions to actually get resolutions or results

"I was able to help people look great and excel my artistry."

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Makeup Artist in White Plains, NY

I worked at MAC Cosmetics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gratis, awesome discount, learning from other talented artists, connecting with customers. Product education, dress code was great all black and you are allowed to have your own personal style. Tattoos are acceptable. Loved working during Halloween.

Cons

Upper management treated you like garbage and tried to sell everyone the same dream "you could be a trainer" Constantly comparing employees and favoritism. One manager in particular make inappropriate derogatory comments towards women.

Advice to Management

Please stop understaffing. Clients would get frustrated and mad at the artists because they would have to wait a long time to be helped. We lost a lot of sales and clients because of this.

"No appreciation and respect for employees"

Current Employee - Makeup Artist
    Current Employee - Makeup Artist

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free makeup twice a year, constantly doing makeup on the regular so it is a great vessel to sharpen your skills and a solid stepping stone to further your career.

Cons

Oh man, where do I begin?

1) upper management plays favorites. You will NEVER move up unless you suck up point blank end of story. Especially if you are awesome at your job and kill it in sales, they will prevent you from moving up because they see you as a threat. It's a double-edged sword. A ton of people in management don't deserve it from what I've seen.
    2) employees are never appreciated for hard work so morale is decreasing exponentially. You will never feel like you're good enough and management manipulates you with promises of promotions to keep you over-achieving, causing you to bend over backwards.
    3) customers are enabled to treat employees like garbage because MAC is so far gone as a company, that they are DESPERATE to give everyone a 10000% customer experience to avoid losing $5, which has allowed customers to literally whine and moan and throw tantrums about everything at employees expense and we just have to sit there and take the abuse. MAC is so hyper-focused on "conversion" aka every single person MUST walk out of the store with a product that it has created a stressful work environment.
    4) MAC has become so greedy as a company that they fire excellent artists who have dedicated years to the company to free up hours for "freelancers" which are getting younger and younger with little work experience.
    5) MAC speaks of "teamwork" but they enable backstabbing, snitching, and tattle-telling, pinning employees against each other to promote competitiveness, which makes everyone work harder and against each other while MAC reaps all the benefits.
    6) working hard means absolutely nothing in the long run because, as stated above, you will never go anywhere or get what is rightfully deserved unless you kiss butt.
    7) good luck ever getting a weekend day off or getting your requests granted. I've missed so many important events because you have to give at least 2 months notice if you need a day off and that isn't even guaranteed.

Advice to Management

Positive reinforcement, stop being so secretive, stop encouraging everyone to rat on each other for starters. I hope someone on the upper level reads these reviews.

"Key holder"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Hurst, TX
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Hurst, TX

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love my company/ brand . I've been with MAC for over 10 years now and I can't see myself leaving. Yes there has been down moments but we always overcome them and get back on top! I love being a MAC girl . May I also add what it does for your resume 😍. And last but not least the family you build is priceless . I love MAC

Cons

New trending makeup lines and negative social media slander . It always makes us look bad but majority is all untrue. And again truth always prevails we do set the standard to professional cosmetics .

Advice to Management

Stay positive and remember why we do what we do. We set the standard .

"MAC Makeup Artist"

Current Employee - MAC Makeup Artist in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - MAC Makeup Artist in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The payroll great , the employee discount is great, you get gratis every new launch , you get a spending amount for free makeup every 6months, you get sent to basic training where they teach you makeup techniques for a week and get paid, and a makeup trainer comes in for every season to teach you the new trends and new products coming out .

Cons

It's retail, you have to meet goals, retail hours( no weekends off), sales are more important then artistry.

7. "i <3 MAC"

Pros

great people , growth opportunities

Cons

too corporate at times .

8. "Mac cosmetics"

Current Employee - Third Key in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Third Key in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good discount, good benifits.

Cons

The way the schedule is laid out. No weekends off. Short staffed with really busy days.

Advice to Management

Hire more people

9. "20 hr artist"

Former Employee - 20 Human Resources Artist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - 20 Human Resources Artist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at MAC Cosmetics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount, gratis, extreme knowledge on artistry and technique

Cons

Cattiness, jealousy and lack of compassion in management.

Advice to Management

Actually make decisions that will implement real change in your region. Doing sugar coated meetings every first Sunday to give yourself a pat on the back is meaningless.

10. "Makeup artist"

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The trainings are inspiring and gratis is great. Mac is culture so its nice to be up to date as far as makeup trends go. Great benefits for part time. Starting rate is decent.

Cons

The company isn't making as much money right now so there's been a lot of cut backs. A lot of artist have been let go. Working on your feet all day is terrible. The artist goes unnoticed if you don't make your goal. Which is ridiculous considering how much they want to turn there customer service around and even if you impeccable at that it goes unnoticed. Shortened team. Customers can basically get you fired. If they complain. Not much of a work life balance. Haven't gotten a Saturday off in years even if you request it in advanced. No room for growth now since the cuts have begun . don't give you more hours but also you don't get a set schedule. You have to watch your back if you freelance.

Advice to Management

Hear your employees out. Needs to be more of a balance. And you need to get on managers about growth. We need more places to see job postings

Showing 938 of 1,036 reviews