MAC Cosmetics Reviews | Glassdoor

MAC Cosmetics Reviews

Updated May 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great pay, Great employee discount (in 50 reviews)

• Mac has great health benefits, huge employee discount, and Mac gives its employees items from each collection to promote sales (in 47 reviews)

Cons

1. "Love the company, extremely challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Really diverse and artistic company to work for. Lots of perks and free stuff. Also allows you to grow a lot as an artist.

Cons

LONG and I mean LONG hours. No work life balance at all. You can have kids, family, school and you are still expected to want to work every moment of ever day.

Advice to Management

Listen more to lower level staff. Don't bark orders as much and really try to remember when you were in our shoes.

2. "Horrible"

Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in Dearborn Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in Dearborn Heights, MI

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics (More than a year)

Pros

You do what you love - apply makeup on clients, but working at MAC turns an intense passion into an intense hatred.

Cons

No gratis or discount on products as a freelancer. Freelancers literally help the counter on a day to day basis from drowning yet are looked down upon and offered no benefits. As a freelancer I was given a weeks notice as to what my schedule would be, sometimes even a days notice. All about sales. Sales. Sales. Could not focus on my makeup application with clients as I was also forced to hurry up with the application, step away to help walk-in customers, and sell products. Management at several counters was literally HORRID. The staff (including upper management) loves to gossip. If you're passionate about applying makeup and NOT SALES, DO NOT WORK FOR MAC COSMETICS. I warned you.

Advice to Management

Your micro managing techniques are causing a once passionate artist to hate the company she fell in love with. STOP MICRO MANAGING. And gossiping.

3. "A great way to begin as a young artistic minded professional"

Current Employee - MAC Store Manager in Odenton, MD
    Current Employee - MAC Store Manager in Odenton, MD

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The make up training is extensive, great benefits for full time employees. You get to work with creative people who love what you love and are very passionate individuals

Cons

No work life balance and after you reach a certain level it is extremely hard to move up due to under development of their leaders

Advice to Management

Treat your people the way you want to be treated, this goes for company executives too. Develop those who are going to be your future leaders. Develop them in ways you wish you were developed and in ways you want to see your company move

5. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - MAC Artist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - MAC Artist in Houston, TX

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training in artistry that you cannot get ANYWHERE else in the world! Amazing for someone who is looking to become a professional makeup artist independently from the company, or for someone who would like to have a fabulous opportunity for career growth within the company. Hard work will pay off with the correct attitude, work ethic, and willingness to put passion in your work!

Cons

Can be exhausting at times (the typical down fall of retail), could potentially be under poor management (depends on your location), difficult at times to not let work carry into your personal time off - have to be conscious of having that balance.

Advice to Management

Keep the entire team in mind - create strategies that allow every artist from every personality and motivation to thrive and develop to their fullest potential.

"It's very stressful"

Current Employee - MAC Artist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - MAC Artist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent starting pay
    Generous employee discount

Cons

Hours are horrible
    Management isn't supportive
    Promotions are based on who you know
    Training is put off on other artists
    You have to wait months (years in some instances) to get your discount card
    They will decline to promote you but add extra responsibilities to your workload. Essentially, they give you extra responsibilities that you would have in a higher position but not the title so they don't have to pay you more.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and they'll perform better

"Wasted 16 years with a company that only sees you as a number. Not the company or brand it once was."

Former Employee - Store Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a company of artistry, and talent, that invested in its employees.

Cons

You can go above and beyond and still not be appreciated. Gratis used to be pieces now your lucky if you get a lipstick. Managers get no support unless your store is where mro lives. They expect you to have no life or family obligations outside of work. I loved company for 16 years and unfortunately could no longer work for a unethical region in se. Mro was brought in a best friends with fed so she was allowed to be unethical, change paperwork and drive out experienced managers who knew better. HR is also corrupt. If your looking for a paycheck with a company that will hire anyone go for it. But don't plan on a career

Advice to Management

Someone needs to regulate the actions of mros and even feds ignoring complaints. Managers have no where to turn if treated unfairly.

8. "Good Company, Just Not For Me..."

Former Employee - MAC Makeup Artist in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - MAC Makeup Artist in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MAC does care a lot about their employees. Several conferences and workshops were held throughout my employment to keep the artists up to date on new trends and techniques (travel and accommodations were reimbursed by MAC). I was promoted once within my 2 years of employment. You also as an artist receive gratis (free product) from each new collection coming out. Twice a year you receive a certain $$ amount of free product of your choosing as well. Very generous company to work for. I had thousands of $$ of free makeup from MAC.

Cons

VERY driven on AUS (average unit sales) and returned products hurts your overall AUS. The location I worked at seemed to have a lot of customers that would "impulse buy" and return hundreds of dollars worth of product. Or worse, they would steal the product and replace it with something else (mayonnaise was the worst I saw) before returning to the store. Many times purchases were made so that the customer could get a free makeover. After a while it just crushed my spirit.

Advice to Management

Focus more

"Great Company but it's retail at the end of the day"

Former Employee - Third Key Manager in Arcadia, CA
    Former Employee - Third Key Manager in Arcadia, CA

Pros

It was wonderful learning new tips and tricks in cosmetics, as well as getting to know some of my coworkers. It's a great place for seasoned artists to project their creativity, and amateur artists to get more comfortable with applying makeup on customers. Plus the employee discount is incredible.

Cons

It's hard to voice your opinions and to get high management to notice you. Everyone wants to move up, but it doesn't matter if you're an amazing artist, what matters is the amount of sales you make and how the counter/store is doing. Sometimes, they will give a management position to someone who has never worked at the company and that is really unfortunate. Plus, at the end of the day, it is a retail sales environment. Expect to be on your feet all day and to work weekends/holidays.

Advice to Management

Consider the employees and their intentions with the company. Sales are not everything; you want people who are passionate and believe in the brand and would do anything for the brand. You are losing out of some of your most talented staff but you put their $ goals before their artistry (BIG NO NO) and dedication to the company. In turn, your customers get inconsistent makeup applications and it affects customer satisfaction and retention rates.

10. "Mac Artist"

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at MAC Cosmetics part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Open to creativity, learn and master artistry skills.

Cons

Trainers are too hard on artists and treat artists not so nice. Aldo the scheduling sucks. Not flexible, or clocking in , very strict.

Advice to Management

Have the artists open up and be able to make recommendations too.

11. "Part-time Makeup Artist"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics (More than a year)

Pros

fun working environment. great pay and discount.

Cons

hours, and working retail. Not as flexible.

Advice to Management

be more flexible