MAC Cosmetics "sales goals" Reviews | Glassdoor

MAC Cosmetics Employee Reviews about "sales goals"

Updated Dec 5, 2019

3.5
MAC Cosmetics CEO John Demsey
John Demsey
Cons

Reviews about "sales goals"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Makeup artist"

Former Freelancer - Part Time Sales Associate in Aurora, IL

I worked at MAC Cosmetics for more than a year

Pros

Hands on makeup application Continous Education Free Makeup great colleges Great makeup

Cons

Sales goals Stick dress code short lunches under staffed stocking supplies

Advice to Management

Longer lunches

MAC Cosmetics2019-01-31
  2. "Insomnia Inducing Levels of Stress"

Former Employee - Artist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good discount (which I think they've made harder to use if you're a new employee,) gratis is always nice to receive (which was not always consistent,) robust trainings (which they've eliminated.)

Cons

Impossible sales goals that literally kept me up at night. Constant threat of getting fired for not meeting sales goals. They said there were opportunities for advancement and artistry, but they didn't tell you that 2% of the artists would actually be considered. Dangle advancement opportunities in front of you only to take them away if you missed a goal or "your personality wasn't what they were looking for" AKA... someone in the region (MRO or trainer) didn't like you. High goals created a "sharky" work environment where artists stepped on each other to make sales. Little to no time off even if you had a funeral to attend or flights booked. They wouldn't approve your vacation time until last minute. No Saturdays off EVER. Being sick meant you missed your sales goal. Managers & trainers played favorites. Constant critique of appearance, would get slammed if I wore the same makeup style more than once.

Advice to Management

Come on. Your artists are humans. Treat them as such.

MAC Cosmetics2019-12-05

"learned about makeup techniques and trends now its all about numbers"

Current Employee - MAC Artist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

60% off and 30% off any other ester lauder stores

Cons

all about numbers and meeting your sales goal micro managing your higher ups are constantly judging you from how you greet a customer to how you dress, your makeup and anything else they can find. very much play favorites the scheduling is a nightmare and inconsistent. this used to be a great company to work for but it is getting to be less about makeup and more about becoming the best sales person you can be and... this is great if you want to be in sales and want to use this as a way of getting some skills before going into a sales driven job but if you genuinely love makeup and want to do make up this job is not for you it will leave you feeling like you are just a clerk or a retail associate.

Advice to Management

Help ensure your team is taken care of Fight for your team i can't really say it has anything to do with management its more like the company reform isn't working and mac is just taking a turn for the worse

MAC Cosmetics2019-11-17
  4. "Mac Artist"

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay. Amazing discount.

Cons

Whatever your position is (amount of hours) is what you will get most of the time. They may say you’ll get extra hours but that’s rarely the case. Favoritism is too much. A LOT of makeup appointments which most will only buy one item. Sales goals are high and they really push them!

MAC Cosmetics2019-10-29
  5. "Good start if you want to freelance"

Current Employee - Artist

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

60% employee discount, gratis, fun work environment

Cons

Unreasonable sales goals/metrics, little help from management, no encouragement, favoritism

MAC Cosmetics2019-10-31
  6. "MAC Makeup Artist"

Current Employee - MAC Makeup Artist

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible, gratis, and ample opportunities for learning.

Cons

Repercussions for not meeting sales goals.

MAC Cosmetics2019-07-15

"rather work in fast food"

Current Employee - Artist in El Centro, CA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

coworkers can be like family, and like family they gossip about you with other "family". Discount is great. gratis is nice (when it actually comes in, and you don't get new collection anymore) Building relationships with customers is nice. Working with this company has really helped me to quickly adapt to various personalities.

Cons

My experience: Manager are not trustworthy. unless your beast friends with higher ups, there will be no equal opportunity to grow. positions will be filled instead of being posted, they already have a person to choose. thats a fact in my region. you can be top in sales and customer service but they will find something negative to say. everything can lead to a write up!zero absolute zero work life balance! I'm only... part time and haven't been to family party in 1 year. missed mothers day, work christmas eve, new years eve and day, I've missed 2 weddings, and to jump through hoops to attend my godsons baptism. i was spoken to and told that would be my last switch. "were not allowed to make our own schedule" its whats best for business. being a top performer comes at a price... they wan to use you everyday. Mac has no grace period. if you're late 1 minute... you're late. wether its starting shift or coming back from lunch or break, each late equals .5 of a point(which has been told to us that its now 1 point). leave work early for being sick or emergency = 1 point.(no excuses. none) have no sick hours and you call out = 1 point. you reach 7 points within 6 months and you're up for termination. points build up and tAke 6 moths to fall off. but that doesn't matter.. management will "find" points you didn't know about and don't have to prove it to threaten your job. if you've worked longer than 5 years they insist you rank up ( even though its impossible) your pay increases like 10 cents each year, eventually they want to let you go or promote you to keep cost of you low. hr rarely responds and does not have YOUR back. artistry is over shadowed by sales goals. its simply horrible to work at. currently seeking elsewhere

Advice to Management

this is for management, and region managers; -You don't influence your artist by threatening them they'll be let go if they're they're 1 minute late or not making these ridiculous sales goals! - stop relying 100% on your artist to come up with ways to improve counter traffic, cause managers don't give credit to your ideas. - hr needs to step in and notice that if a manager receives any pushback from artist they... will retaliate with their power in scheduling you! ex: don't agree with the ways a drawer is organized and only benefits managers ocd and takes you 3x longer to stock cause of this? mention this and you work every weekend! and during the weekday you work the slow hours making your goal harder to acheive. (kiss butt and maybe if you request 1 saturday off with reason you might get it) - MRO should stop being a bully. they will dig up old "excused" lates to fire you, and has repeatedly said to others including myself " you're lucky to work here, i get so many people who apply so i suggest you consider that and improve " - when it comes to gossip,investigate the source and speak to both parties together rather than punish the one being ACCUSED of starting gossip. this creates this dog eat dog, can't trust anyone and manipulating environment. teamwork is important.if your top in sales, artist will create other problems that get mro involved.(which is the only time you see them at counter, no support ) you can be doing great than management will pick on you for ... not looking up from stocking fast enough, or saying "hey" to other staff instead of "HI!!!! HOW ARE yOU" it makes artist feel like they can't please you. - for the love of god please give weekends off... atleast one! mac has freelance artist available - lastly, take accountability when management makes an error rather than shift blame to artist. artist have a hard time working for someone they can't trust. - management should not be telling peoples business, i stay out of reporting in fear of retaliation with my job and schedule.

MAC Cosmetics2019-06-10

"I've been with mac for 8 years (fulltime/management)"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

being able to express your creativity/artistry in many forms great training fun work environment employee discounts are amazing gratis ( a lot of free makeup)

Cons

ALL weekends and 90% of holidays are mandatory unattainable and very aggressive sales goals no work and life balance lack of respect for employees management has "god complex" internal corruption favoritism, catty, and unprofessional management no opportunity for growth if you want a fun side job for extra cash this would be perfect for you, however forget trying to make this a career unless you're... willing to brown nose and trade your soul to the company. Lack of growth, motivation and purpose is why so many senior and quality artist leave. MAC needs to accept change and stop treating their employees like everyone is so replaceable. They created the "mean girls" attitude from the inside out and unless they start listening and valuing their employees this brand is going to continue to spiral downhill.

Advice to Management

although I know some managers try to be actual leaders its VERY difficult because internal corruption goes all the way up to corporate, this causes a lot of work politics, drama, favoritism, and unprofessional management . As far as advice goes there is really nothing management can do besides play the game or get cut out.

MAC Cosmetics2019-06-12
  9. "My experience with MAC"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Austin, TX

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great discount, my team and upper management is great!

Cons

Awful working hours, no weekends off, unattainable sales goals

Advice to Management

Make it fun again stop worrying about the money and focus on artistry

MAC Cosmetics2019-05-17

"Good job for the right person"

Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great employee discount, product and skill training at MAC stores, passionate and creative team of artists. Higher starting rate than a lot of other counters/brands.

Cons

Very intense sales goal structure. Can be clique-y depending on what counter/store you are at. Difficult to obtain full-time status/more hours.

Advice to Management

Continue to cultivate and invest in your artists; they are the ones representing and promoting your brand.

MAC Cosmetics2019-04-04