MAKE Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Karen A. Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company to Work For!"

I have been working at MAKE Corporation full-time

Pros

Fun, fast paced-environment. Everyone is a big family!

Cons

Slow growth opportunities at company.

2. "Customer Relations Placement"

I have been working at MAKE Corporation full-time

Pros

Great flexibility and a great team to work with.

Cons

Contract labor which means no PTO and poor benefits.

3. "Technical Recruiter"

Pros

Commission is uncapped so you can make as much as you are willing to work for. Overall good understanding of the full lifecycle recruiting process. Get Christmas Eve & Day off which is nice. Karen is a respectful CEO & I truly believe she cares about what she does and who she does it with.

Cons

It is not a healthy environment if you are looking to grow. You are promoted early on & then are stuck in a stand-still doing the same thing whether you worked there 3 months or 3 years. I always thought that was the case with recruiting until I left the company & realized that you can do more than just the same thing each day with new responsibilities. All goes back to management which I think there is a lack thereof. The office can also be spiteful which is indirectly promoted by management. Do not expect a 9-5 job or work-life balance. If you work only 40-45 hours a week, you will be penalized by less opportunity to grow.

Advice to Management

If you promoted people when they deserved it and gave them responsibility when they deserved it then I think the company would be more successful & run smoother. Sometimes you let politics/personal interests get in the way of company interests which is not for the workplace. Respect your employees from start to finish and actually follow the guidelines written in your policy book.

4. "manager"

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Not much that I can say

5. "Nice company Lack of Benefits"

Pros

Rate of pay higher than most, company interferes very little day to day duties

Cons

Have to pay for most of insurance and No PTO, Sick or Holiday pay or Overtime

Advice to Management

PTO, Sick, Personal days a must

6. "MAKE Corporation - Recruiter"

I have been working at MAKE Corporation full-time

Pros

A great place to work! Everyday is something new and finding people jobs is so rewarding. MAKE cares about all of their employees and wants everyone to succeed anyway they can. They make sure that you are comfortable in your role and always check up on you to make sure you are still doing great and liking it. I love that you can make however much you want as long as you want to put the work in. It is very satisfying and rewarding!!

Cons

Not a 9-5 job. If you want to be successful and make good money then be prepared to put in the time and effort.

7. "Would not recommend unless you are okay with a very low salary."

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter

Pros

Great co-workers, young environment, caring CEO.

Cons

The base salary for a recruiter is not even comparable to the market salary out there, there is no work life balance and if you leave at 5 when the day is over they judge you and Are rude to you. Upper management has no clue what they are doing and spend to much time behind closed doors gossiping then worrying about actual issues. They put no confidence in any of their workers and will fire you no matter how hard you are working. They don't know how to manage people or a business. You can't even ask to go to a doctors appoinment without being judged and questioned a million times.

Advice to Management

-Upper management doesn't know how to manage people or a business.
    -They should hire an actual recruiter as recruiting manager rather than someone who has never recruited a day in their life.
    -Focus on helping out your hard working recruiters instead of firing them for not seeing immediate results.
    -The amount of turn over is insane.
    -Stop gossiping and acting like high schools

"LOVE MAKE!!!"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at MAKE Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fun loving environment. The employees at MAKE are always willing to lend a helping hand. You truly feel like a part of a family! Team lunches, team outings, charity runs / events, annual president's club trip are just some of the extra things that MAKE does for their employees!
    - State of the Art Equpment. MAKE provides all the tools necessary to be successful. A variety of job boards, internal database, and remote access are just some of the tools that is given to all employees.
    - Commission / Bonus Structure. MAKE rewards hard working employees generously. There is no limit on how much money you can make, just depends on how much effort you want to put forth.
    - "Be your own boss" mentality. MAKE allows recruiters to work any job they want to after they have completed the ones assigned. Very empowering!

Cons

- Not a 9-5 job. Since recruitinh involves looking for talent that is already working, you may need to send emails or call candidates after hours. Putting in the extra time will benefit recruiters in the end $$$
    - Fast paced environment. Recruiting is competitive. You are expected to begin working on an assignment right away. You need to learn quickly how to prioritize and ask for help if you are in jeopardy of missing a deadline.

Advice to Management

MAKE Corporation has a senior team of managers that have known each other both professionally and personally for a very long time. Please continue to share future growth and plans with the entire staff. Continue to recognize and train upcoming leaders as well as yourselves.

9. "tech support"

Former Employee - PC Support Specialist - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - PC Support Specialist - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at MAKE Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Mgt. Really nice, seem to care.

Cons

No return of calls if they don't need you

Advice to Management

None

10. "Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at MAKE Corporation full-time

Pros

I met some nice people during my time with the company. I happened to stay in touch with a few, so that was nice.

Cons

During my time there, the office was filled with young catty individuals and managers who acted like immature high school bullies. This made for an extremely uncomfortable environment to work in- employees and managers alike would be sweet as pie to your face but say nasty things about you within earshot. The place was like a gossip mill!

In addition, the training was AWFUL. I was trained in about a week and it consisted of shadowing employees who were too busy to slow down a bit so I could actually learn. Moreover, my direct manager who I reported to would become angry when I did not understand their complicated CRM. I was beginning to think that I was a moron, but I know now that was untrue since I was able to learn the CRM at my new company in 2 days. Actually, come to think of it, my manager said things to make me feel like a idiot on a daily basis- very demotivating!

Finally, the company uses a VMS system. They actually think this is the best way to conduct business (send resumes of candidates to clients), but in fact it's probably the worst way! Due to this method, jobs were never fully qualified before people started working on them. Almost every job I worked on did not include a bill rate/salary range, so I had to use info from previous jobs to guess what it was- extremely ineffective. Sometimes there would be a conference call with a hiring manager for a position, but most of the time the calls were a waste of time. In addition, the feedback we got for rejected candidates was more than often useless. It was just a very impersonal way of doing business since there was little to no contact with hiring managers throughout the recruiting process.

Finally, there was no work/life balance. Employees were expected to get there as early as possible and stay as late as possible. If you didn't managers would make snide comments about it and make you feel like you were not doing enough.

I could probably go on and on about why this company was not a good company to work for, but I think I have offered up enough information to get my point across.

Advice to Management

- Train more effectively
    - Don't talk down to employees
    - PAY BETTER- Your base pay is not competitive with the current market!! Also, your commission structure is confusing and misleading.
    - Start acting like professionals and less like the "mean girls" in high school.