MAPFRE Insurance "mapfre" Reviews | Glassdoor

MAPFRE Insurance Employee Reviews about "mapfre"

Updated Jul 18, 2019

3.1
MAPFRE Insurance CEO Alfredo Castelo (no image)
Alfredo Castelo
Pros
  • "Great experience and great benefits(in 19 reviews)

• "Free coffee and as much structure and repetition as anyone could ever ask for(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "MAPFRE Gilbert is a great place to work(in 23 reviews)

• "No one knows if there will be more rounds(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "mapfre"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Appraiser in Webster, MA

I have been working at MAPFRE Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been with the company for 5 years. MAPFRE values each employee and what each person brings to the company for success. There is a vast amount of opportunity to grow within the company within the many different departments. I have earned designations with the company paid tuition, one of the many benefits the company offers.

Cons

Would like the ability to work from home as some companies are transitioning to. As the technology becomes available, I am sure this will be a transition MAPFRE will make. I know some departments have already began implementing this.

Advice to Management

Continue the open communication through all departments and continue to recognize employees in their success/achievements.

MAPFRE Insurance2016-04-13

"ALL THE VACATION TIME!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at MAPFRE Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people and great local management. Human resources always has an open door. Fair practices all around, will find a place for you if you're struggling in another department, will coach you for in house interviews. The medical benefits are great. And you get an obscene amount of Paid Holidays and PTO. Most people who complain about being overloaded with work are usually the ones taking several 20 minute... smoke breaks. Or standing in others cubes complaining they don't have time to finish everything (meanwhile killing time standing around complaining). I had zero complaints with local management.

Cons

Webster, MA management. The Worst! Be sure your immediate management is local and you're good. Anyone who reports to the MA people get used to the phrase "That's not how we do it in Webster". You will never be as good or efficient as they are and they will question your every move. Micro management is next level. No free thinkers allowed, no matter how much value it adds - if it's not the Webster way, it's the... wrong way. Period. Stick with positions that have local management and you will have no complaints. MAPFRE Gilbert is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Gilbert Job functions should have Gilbert management. Webster vibe is killing your reputation.

MAPFRE Insurance2019-04-09

"People Are Good, Organization is Rudderless"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

I have been working at MAPFRE Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

MAPFRE is well-stocked with good, experienced people- many of whom have been in the industry and with the company for a very long time. Many of them are helpful, and when you're new here, you'll need all the help you can get.

Cons

If companies were people, MAPFRE would be the kind of person that is honest about their flaws- but also believes that said honesty absolves them of an urgency to do better. The systems are ancient and barely function. Staffing is top-heavy and convoluted. All the friendliness & experience in the world is, unfortunately, no help when the job is mostly a fight against inefficiency. At orientation, we were... advised that MAPFRE wishes to grow fourfold, yet there seems to be a struggle just to handle what's in front of us.

Advice to Management

Innovation is the cool thing you get to do once you're proficient at the fundamentals.

MAPFRE Insurance2019-02-07

"Run very far from this company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at MAPFRE Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

20 days PTO, health insurance, free AAA membership

Cons

Where do I start? Well working at this job is an absolute soul suck. Be prepared to be verbally abused on the daily and pick up slack from the favorites in the company. Mapfre will switch policies on a dime and expect you to execute them flawlessly. Majority of the time you may even learn about changes from the Customers before internally which not only looks bad on the call but for the company as a whole. Your time... on and off the phones is tracked to the second, if you have a day where you spend a little more time in the restroom be prepared to be approached about it. The company claims to promote within but I’ve seen many instances that does not go along with that narrative. If you do want to try for another position the description of the job function is vague and makes it almost impossible for you to prep for the interview. The quarterly meetings are an absolute bore and let’s be honest no one cares about the profits because frankly you could care less about us! We’re prompted to ask questions at these mandatory meetings while most of the information is irrelevant to our job function. It’s an absolute waste of time and is a further insult to employees. We don’t care how good the company is doing unless you guys are going to recognize that and reward us somehow, and no, I don’t mean a gold star or a shoutout on the company page, or a wheel spin to win an extended lunch . An actual reward. The external agents you work with will be rude and unwilling to do the bare minimum. They fail to keep up with the constant changes and agents who waste time on phones aren’t held accountable so in turn stats suffer. Even after the entire office knows they are an issue. Management varies but for the most part is very very cliquey. I’ve walked behind managers in the past making gossip about other employees. If you aren’t in their circle don’t expect to move up, no matter how much work and dedication you put in. The managers talk a lot of talk but won’t come out of their office to help or actually see what’s going on in the office. They barely even know the people that work for them. There are managers that don’t even know how to do the jobs of their underlings, which results in mistakes that later have to be addressed by those below them. To be honest it isn’t their fault they were put in a position they haven’t had proper time to be trained on. Upper management is solely reactionary and they do not plan ahead. They will promote people to a new department and before making the change will make no effort to replace them, which dumps a unrealistic workload on those who stay behind. People will tell you you’re doing well but instead of promoting you they will want to keep you where you are cause you’re doing the job nobody wants to do— be the customer facing defense for all their short sighted business decisions. Misinformation is rampant and other departments will try to advise people on the policies of others that inevitably end up with screw ups. Other departments also seem to have little to no accountability, so when you need to assist someone and call another department 9 times out of 10 you’ll end up holding for minutes on end because someone has walked away from their phone. Not only is it frustrating that your own team doesn’t have your back, but the customer is also effected.

Advice to Management

Start over. Your ideas of management are extremely archaic and only aim to serve one purpose, profitability. You guys do not care at all about your employees or customers and it shows by the turnover rate. Trust the people you hire, but at the same time make accountability the same for everyone. Policy changes need to be addressed the moment they happen and clearly, with enough time for people to ask questions and... understand them. Create a company culture but not one that is based on the same rewards system a high school would have to the point that it’s almost condescending. Get rid of the quarterly meetings or join them with something more relevant and interesting to your employees. And stop changing things so much that nobody can keep up. I understand the changes are there for a reason but the hurriedness of how they are put out creates more problems than it actually solves.

MAPFRE Insurance2018-08-30

"Information Systems"

Former Employee - EUS INFORMATION SYSTEMS in Webster, MA

I worked at MAPFRE Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary is mediocre.. just a job, health benefits are Harvard Pilgrim and not the best. Seen better with Blue Cross.

Cons

Facilities and IS have not seen raises in over 10 years. Before Mapfre bought out Commerce Insurance it was great.. all kinds of bonuses etc. Now cheap pay..cheap benefits... only managers make a comparable wage.

Advice to Management

A union may not be too far off for some departments.

MAPFRE Insurance2018-08-20

"Underwriting Analyst"

I worked at MAPFRE Insurance full-time

Pros

Mostly great co-workers. Sometimes you have to pick up the slack for other employees. Laid back work environment. Supervisors are for the most part human. 20 days PTO to start from day 1. Working from home 1 day a week.

Cons

When Mapfre bought Commerce the company was very profitable. Once corporate Mapfre in Spain we entered into states where we had little to no presence. Our Combined Ratio went through the roof. in many of those states. Liberty Mutual and Hanover pay 20k more for the same job. No annual bonus. Profit Sharing of 3% only if the company has a decent year. No Xmas or Quarterly Bonus. We get a 50 dollar gift card at... Thanksgiving. With other competitors in the area offering greater compensation its tough not to want to move on. I would love to see cross department training(learning SAS, Power BI etc) Would love to see subject matter experts offering workshops and training. Out company us also unable to retain serious talent. Many of our incoming college grads stay for less than 2 years and move on as the compensation is low. Very little employee recognition.

Advice to Management

It might be best to sell the books of business in NY, NJ, FL, PA, CA, AZ, ID, WA, and OR and focus strictly on the Northeast.

MAPFRE Insurance2018-06-05

"Unless you live in the area, seek elsewhere"

Former Employee - PL Auto Services in Webster, MA

I worked at MAPFRE Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some benefits. Food truck.

Cons

Nepotism still lingers, as commerce started out as a nepotistic hole. Supervisors don't respect you, your treated as a number. No respect anywhere. I left for Hanover Insurance. They respect you and it's professional. Mapfre is not. Why do you think so many middle managers and supervisors left for competitors ?

MAPFRE Insurance2018-02-27

"Processing Center"

Current Employee - Processing in Webster, MA

I have been working at MAPFRE Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is not a good place to work.

Cons

Mapfre is not well organized and the wrong people are leading the day to day operations.

Advice to Management

Train everyone on current practices and have a succession plan

MAPFRE Insurance2017-10-28

"busy work"

Former Intern - Intern in Webster, MA

I worked at MAPFRE Insurance for less than a year

Pros

Paid internship and lasted the length of the summer. Lots of people there were very nice as well as the other interns

Cons

Even though it's paid, you're not paid that great, essentially just well enough for you not to complain. I have a huge problem with the 'celebration' they held for us at the end of the summer. It was not a 'celebration' it was an excuse for them to parade the interns around on a stage, and force you to take a certificate in front of 100+ people (as if you're graduating kindergarten). It was a huge joke. The interns... originally had the idea to make the 'celebration' more casual, as HR had originally led us to believe it was up to us how we wanted it to run. However it was micromanaged to fit their needs. It was really frustrating to see this facade of free will. Also in the job description it said nothing about being forced to walk across the stage and receive a certificate like a child. Planning that thing took huge amounts of time away from my real job there too. Also I felt like the job description led me to believe I would be working in my major, however when I showed up it took me a while to realize I would not be doing that. Lastly, it is so upsetting that in this day and age the parent company of Mapfre is against the LGBTQ community. Knowing this I would never return, even though some individuals may not be against the LGBTQ community the company doesn't care, and encourages people to NOT talk about that type of thing at work. There is also a dismally small number of women in management here.

Advice to Management

actually listen to your interns, stop the celebration, it became a huge joke between the interns and made management look like they were lying

MAPFRE Insurance2016-12-06
  10. "MAPFRE Insurance"

Current Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Webster, MA

I have been working at MAPFRE Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Having been employed here for over 10 years, I have seen this company undergo a lot of changes. The one constant is the great benefits which we are offered, the generous time off and beginning to offer more flexible schedules

Cons

As with any company there are cons. The cons with MAPFRE are currently being worked on. I think that there needs to be more communication with management and that having more flexibility with schedules within all departments

MAPFRE Insurance2016-04-11