MAQ Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at MAQ Software (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great to work. Work place is happening. Good development work are and exposure. good onsite oppurtunity if you have talent

Cons

Unnecessary activities by CEO which waste lot of time. Repeated activities becomes boring at pooint of time. HR are way too interruptive

2. "Place to work only if you don't have personal life"

I worked at MAQ Software full-time

Pros

Have games every month and team outing every quarter
    Some new Microsoft technologies to learn

Cons

Strict log in time and log out time is not known
    May have to work more than 12hrs/day

"Hopeless"

Former Employee - Devops Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Devops Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at MAQ Software full-time

Pros

I do not see any pros. May be good projects.Be professional and dont play with grad students life.I was asked to do an unpaid internship(full time). I agreed initially but based on the hectic and heavy work they gave I said I may come on and off and join full time from joining time.Buy against USCIS laws they made me work as a full time without pay during internship and evaluated me during the same.

Cons

The senior co workers are nagging who will not let you work peacefuly. You feel insecure and intimidated. Also they asked me to leave for no reason and withdrew my offer letter. SO folks I got offer and it was taken back in 15 days, I was neither given proper feed back nor a bootstrap. Impulsive management and they are too unprofessional.Please do not waste time applying for this company.Hiring process in very unplanned and unorganized. Office seems to be classroom where yes men get paid. Go look for better companies. My life was screwd in 15 days itself. Cant imagine how employees work there.They pay very less compared to other companies and expect 12 hours work a day.

Advice to Management

Have a decision making structure and think before you act. Do not play with students life.

MAQ Software Response

Feb 4, 2016 – Managing Consultant

Sorry, we apologize that you had a bad experience. The company provided you training and resources at your request. We discussed basic performance and attendance challenges with you. Since our... More

"Growing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

small enough that you can get recognition and attention
    lots of room for growth, opportunities, and learning (It even has a learning hour every week for advancement of my knowledge)
    Great pay, and an understanding of work life balance ( the manager took the time to know where I commuted from and is understanding if I needed to leave early or arrive late due to traffic or family dinners)
    HR team is understanding and happy to direct me to any information I have questions with
    Company is very flexible

Cons

Not the right fit if you want a set schedule of things to do everyday
    Very project based, so sometimes it's hectic, and other times it's relaxed which can be stressful if you aren't adaptable to that sort of thing.
    small company means sometimes manager's attention can come across as micromanaging.

MAQ Software Response

Apr 25, 2016 – Managing Consultant

Thank you for your feedback.

5. "Assistant Systems Engineer"

Pros

Good Salary and work on Latest Technologies
    Good Growth

Cons

Work Life Balance is tough

"The worst company ever..better to be unemployed"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Redmond, WA

I worked at MAQ Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay you a decent salary but don't let that fool you since you will never have time to spend it since your entire life will be spent in office or while taking calls from home on never ending projects. Also if you do have some spare time, you would most likely be sick due to the never ending stress and work pressure.

Cons

You should definitely join this company if

1. You don’t want to have a life outside of work: The company will make you come into office as early as 8 AM for daily stand up meetings (which would be mandated by the CEO but never attended by him ) but would require you to stay really late. If you can leave by 7-8PM consider yourself very lucky. However once you reach home, your troubles are far from over as you would need to take calls from the offshore team which can run as late as 1 in the morning. That said, don't expect your weekends to be free as well. The company expects you to take certifications which have no relevance with the work you do and you would be expected to study for them on your weekends.

2. You love getting yelled at: Sent an email with a small grammatical mistake in a page long email? Well you are in luck since the CEO will take it upon himself to publically humiliate in front of the whole company in pointing out the grammatical mistake and also yell at you in public. The ironic thing would be the response from the CEO would itself contain close to 10-12 grammatical mistakes in the first line but off-course no one will point that out

3. You enjoy having the senior management and administrative staff hit on you: If you are an attractive girl who has just recently joined the work force, you can be sure that you would have at least someone from the administrative or infrastructure staff sitting with you and hitting on you. You could also be really lucky and often be hit on by the senior management who think they are beyond all reproach.

4. If you love being told how your education was a waste : The CEO loves intimidating his employees and will happily tell you that your education was a waste and since you did not do an MBA like him, you will never grow to be successful. However, do not despair since he will give you a copy of his free book which will tell you everything you wanted to know about being a narcissistic tyrant.

5. You enjoy waking up to the knowledge that at the end of the day you might be without a job : While Washington is at will state, nowhere have I felt more insecure as this company where people were laid off or fired for no reason at all. Were late for a meeting by a minute or two, you might be fired, accidently disagreed with the CEO, expect your marching orders by the end of the day, Were asked for your inputs in the weekly meeting, well say goodbye to your last week in the company. The number of people who get fired on a regular basis is staggering and without remorse. Even if you need to take some time off for bereavement, don’t expect to have your job safe when you come back since the CEO and his wife can decide they have no need for you (since you took a couple of days off to grieve ) and fire you

6. You enjoy working on projects with impossible deadlines: The company gets its business mainly by bidding for projects are rock bottom prices with really crazy deadlines which would be impossible even if you had a dedicated large team working on it. That said, you don’t need to worry about sharing the glory of the project with anyone since the dedicated team is just going to be you and mostly one or two other poor souls who are asked to build a product within a month which would normally take 3-4 months with a team size of 10-15 people.
    6. You enjoy working for a “family” company where the Husband is the CEO and the wife is the principal consultant. There is no accountability or any board who can keep the company on track or hold them responsible. Also since it’s a “family run” company, expect the children of the power couple aka the CEO and his wife to demand that you do little side tasks for them like design a brochure for them or develop a whole website. Turn them down and expect the whole wrath of the family to descend upon you and make your life a living hell (if it was not already)

Advice to Management

Sorry but the management is the root cause of the problem, the people working in the company are good hard working people and they are the only reason the company has survived so long, however the management aka the CEO and his sadistic wife are the main reason everyone hates this company so much. The narcissistic CEO and his sadistic CEO surrounded by their Yes Men make this company one of the worst places to work in and it’s no surprise that most people don’t last more than 6 months in this caustic work environment.

"Programmer Analyst"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at MAQ Software (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a lot of things to learn

Cons

You get a lot of responsibilities

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Also try to retain your employees.

"Great Place to Work for A Players"

Current Employee - Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Based on my experience over the last 15 years, I found that A players choose to stay with the company for the following reasons.

Professional growth
    -Substantial responsibilities at an early stage of the career
    - Exposure to all aspects of delivery lifecycle and project management
    - Continuous learning
    Type of work
    - Exciting and challenging work
    - Exposure to the latest and varied technologies
    - Company culture (environment/culture/mindset)

Transparency, lack of bureaucracy
    - Ownership and accountability
    - Autonomy (with seniority)
    - Peers with strong technical background
    - Supportive managers with technical know-how
    - There is never a dull moment (fast paced work)

All of my coworkers with project management responsibilities hold Agile Certified Practitioner certification from Project Management Institute which requires study and exams. The company pays for technical certifications from PMI, Microsoft and Amazon Web Services.

The company organizes Learning Hour every week. Employees attend annual Open House, local sporting events (mainly Soccer), Cirque du Soleil when they visit Marymoor Park, Redmond, WA. There is annual River Rafting trip at River Wenatchee in May.

Cons

As with any other employer in the consulting industry, there is pressure on engineers to stay current and learn new technologies every year. Customers expect a lot from us. Given the Agile and Lean practices, poor performers do not feel comfortable. Some of them leave on their own and others are moved out. The company believes in Work + Life + Self + Community integration. The company does not have workers that are blue collar that cannot take work home or bring home to work (idea behind work life balance).

Advice to Management

Since most employees join the company at the entry level after their engineering or MBA program, many are not aware of the workplace. The management should require new hires to review industry blogs and books on latest engineering techniques. I found that many new hires also benefited from "What I Did Not Learn at IIT" book by Rajeev Agarwal. That should be a required reading for all employees of the company so that they are aware of the industry and company practices.

"I experience was nutual"

Pros

It is easier for a junior to get into the company

Cons

The salary is low and expect to have calls to India during week nights

"Last company on earth you should work for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at MAQ Software full-time

Pros

None. None. NONE! NONE! NONE!

Cons

Work like a dog/donkey. No praise, no perks, nothing for you. Everything that can go wrong, is wrong with this company. They don't consider employees as humans. NEVER EVER join here if you love your life!!

Advice to Management

Consider your employees as humans. We ain't getting paid coz of you, but coz of the work we do. So remember that! If a work is done good/great, do acknowledge that. Stop playing around with your employees with bad politics.