MAT Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve W. Wang

Pros
  • There are honestly no pros to this organization (in 3 reviews)

• Decent benefits, decent promotion options (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management in Chicago is horrible (in 8 reviews)

• kind of intimidating work environment (in 5 reviews)

1. "Warehouse worker"

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Lithia Springs, GA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Lithia Springs, GA

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a laidback job, with good benefits and great hours and the pay was great.

Cons

It had no structure

Advice to Management

Stop showing favoritism

"Forklift"

Current Employee - Forklift Driver in Mesquite, TX
    Current Employee - Forklift Driver in Mesquite, TX

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Help entertain yourself working in there

Cons

Just a little bit stressful

Advice to Management

Just leave me alone and everything will be done

"Sales Manager"

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I understand some of the negative reviews seen on this website in the past. I believe most of them to be generated by personnel lacking the drive to go out and get what you want. Instead i believe the frustration stems from not having opportunity handed to them.

Freedom to make your own choices and salary on par with industry standards.

Cons

Lean work environment, at some point Investment will be needed to expand support to help free up time to for the sales team to do what they do. Sell. Parking lot could use a little more room as well. Oh and the water in the fountains is hard water. I would be nice fi the employees were provided an alternative.

Advice to Management

Growth is amazing and always good. In a fast paced environment reinvesting in the infrastructure that supports such growth is a requirement.

"Great Transitional Opportunity"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Long Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Long Grove, IL

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MAT will provide an opportunity to enter the corporate environment so one can gain experience and move on with your own professional career. The position here will return what you personally put in. Hands off where one can learn and grow with motivation and will to professionally develop themselves.

After reading some reviews I truly believe that since this company can be reactive at times, some employees cannot handle high-speed decision making. This is why I think some have a negative outlook. From my 2 years of being employees, I have had to stay self-motivating and have strived to move up.

Cons

Water issue should be addressed. This could be done with investing in a water filter system.
    The building does need to be updated and leave the old cubicle system.
    Septic system issue should be addressed, some days it can be smelled throughout the building.
    There could be a better training process for new employees.

Advice to Management

Invest in actual team building and check performance. There are some team members who are solely operating to cover their own behinds and make themselves look good. Grow teams to continue serving customers better and managing our products better.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Long Grove, IL

Pros

No pros to this organization

Cons

If you're a woman, do not apply here. The office is entirely bullied by men who think they are smarter than every single woman that exists. I've heard conversation that would make you cringe and want to throw up. Women are talked at like they are idiots and the men are praised for doing nothing. Outside my cube, I literally heard upper management scream about a woman in the company that he wanted to take her down and called her names. It was so scary that all of us talked to Human Resources about it and they didn't do a thing. Get ready to ave orders barked at you and the constant berating of who you are. I've seen so many disgusting situations that this website probably couldn't hold the amount of writing I would need to do. I've seen women cry and called idiots and left out of really important information. But the men get all they need to succeed. I'm totally shocked that this company hasn't been in trouble with the law. I hear that the owner is part of the problem because he encourages this stuff. Steve Wang (if he cares about women at all) needs to remove all the management and start over. Being yelled at and having too much to do all the time is a hostile work environment and plain old sad.

Advice to Management

Actually care about women rights and the law. Clean the building because it's nasty and smells like puke or rotten eggs. Stop lying to employees and fix the problems you have created instead of pretending that they don't exist.

"Finance"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Long Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Long Grove, IL

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A paycheck at the end of the month.

Cons

Everything will be a negative, and 20 word will not be enough to describe this disaster . Avoid this place except if you like prison

Advice to Management

Enjoy before downturn

"WORST PLACE ON EARTH!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inverness, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inverness, IL

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I only pro that I can list here is that I no longer have to endure working at that place.

Cons

Absolutely everything! It is like working in a prison, everyone looks like they are doing a death march when entering in the mornings while their souls are slowly being stripped away during the day. I wholeheartedly agree with the reviewer who stated that any positive reviews are being commandeered by the ineffectual HR department. I didn't meet one person that was happy working there, most conversations are about how ridiculous the place is and how unhappy everyone is. Turnover is crazy, the management team is a group of illogical, ridiculous dumb goons. The building is falling apart, dirty, a stinky run down throw back to the 1970's. Your lucky to get a chair that has two arms. Your also lucky if you are not in a department that is located in the basement, it's like working in a dungeon!!! The people that have worked there for more than 5 years are idiots that do not have what it takes to make a move to a better place.

Advice to Management

Not worth my energy.

"Stay Away - Hostile Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are honestly no pros to this organization.

Cons

Upper management cannot make a decision that lasts more than a day, and will back-stab you any chance they can to make themselves look and feel better. Constant conflicting daily orders, strategies, and ideas. Your boss will tell you to do something one way at 9:00AM, and then by 9:00AM the next day you will be yelled at for not doing that something a completely different way -- when you explain you were following their directives, they will throw it back in your face (this is from multiple executives). And this situation happens weekly -- even if the 1st process succeeded or not.

The layout of the office itself is very dark and reminds me of corporate offices from the 1980's - large cubicles, everything grey, beige and dimly lit. Furniture / seating / etc. is also old and outdated. Employees are lied to during interviews to get them excited to work for MAT, only to see the truth that this is not a company that excels at sharing ideas, growing in new ways, going after new segments, failing fast and succeeding (which is a foreign concept to them, and one they never want to experience). The company pays very poorly unless you are on the executive and upper management team -- you will be doing a job that pays 30 - 50% more for the same role in almost any other company in the area.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like adults. This is not a "pound your chest and yell" world -- but MAT seems to lead by this example. Management will barge into other people's offices, yell and scream. Highly unprofessional. Highly Hostile environment.

9. "Acceptable place overall"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Grove, IL

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to get into some exciting big projects even an entry level, good career accelerator for young person even if the company itself is not that famous, the SAP system is awesome, simplify lots of tactical jobs

Cons

Pay is below the market, some managers are quite micromanagement while not for all the managers, still family owned company without too many internal promoting opportunities

Advice to Management

Keep aggressive merge and acquisitions, create more job opportunities

"Do No Work Here!"

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I thought about this section for a while and couldn’t come up with one positive comment.

Cons

Hostile environment for years and HR has yet to investigate after several complaints. Favoritism, lack of respect and communication, no accountability, dishonesty, high turnover, moral is very low.

Advice to Management

Upper management and owner really need to open their eyes and ears and don't sweep the "peons" concerns or comments under the rug.