MAT Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Steve W. Wang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are honestly no pros to this organization (in 3 reviews)

• Decent benefits, decent promotion options (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management in Chicago is horrible (in 8 reviews)

• kind of intimidating work environment (in 5 reviews)

"It keeps getting harder, it keeps getting better"

Current Employee - Distribution Operations Specialist
    Current Employee - Distribution Operations Specialist

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

How much are you actually capable of? How often are you called upon to develop and deploy your actual "skill set" and total ability? How many organizations allow you to do that? Opportunity in a world in which there is little is a key word to describe MAT. Care to grow? Care to learn? Care to mentally dance on your feet whether you are prone to that mode of living or not? Then MAT is for you. Life isn't easy, and neither is Logistics. Earn your keep, make your way, be honest and upfront and strive to improve yourself whilst you improve the company that hired you. That's MAT to me, and let me tell you, it isn't easy. That IS a good thing.

Cons

Changes every day, information overload that requires doing things in a better way. It is annoying to be bothered with so many interruptions--but that is a good problem to have. To wish for a GM type environment where any worker or union member can take extended vacation is to wish for Death. Our problems are good problems. Annoying and very hard but good.

Advice to Management

RF updates once a day set time, like 3am, reboots at start of every shift to enact update. Communication system in DC, loudspeaker paging via cheap phone system--travel time to "find" people unacceptable. Good job improved security, cameras. Use camera system in operations analysis, not only security. Capital equipment budget directly to Operations Management for allocation; do not select machines etc when shelves or other items may be more appropriate. Keep it as local as possible. Make budget expenditures flexible with this mindset less will be expended overall. Increased throughput resulting will be a good thing. Trust your opsmen. they have the loyalty of key players.

2. "Room for Growth"

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time

Pros

The company is rapidly growing so there is a lot of room to advance.

Cons

Since the company is rapidly growing it can be slightly chaotic.

"A learning experience"

Pros

Freedom to act and funding to invest.

Cons

Company culture of distrust and micro-managing

Advice to Management

Value those that do the real work.

"Family owned company providing room for professional growth."

Current Employee - Corporate Manager in Long Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Manager in Long Grove, IL

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity is the greatest asset MAT Holdings has to offer. The owner/CEO is very driven to grow his business, and I know this from working with him directly. The president and the CEO value hard work and expect a good work ethic from employees. My worklife balance is great, and a significant improvement from my last job. The president cares about all aspects of the company, and has made improvements in all areas since I started working here.

Cons

My salary is just slightly below average for my position in the Chicagoland area. However, there is an annual bonus program that the president uses to reward those that have the work ethic that he is seeking. The facility is not contemporary, and we are going to outgrow it soon. Benefits offered are not the most competitive, but they are trying to make improvements in this area.

Advice to Management

Keep working to modernize the company and improve the benefits offered to attract top talent. I believe the negative reviews are from those that aren't top talent, and we tend to attract these individuals because the majority of the top talent in the Chicagoland area are located in the city or are seeking the more competitive benefits packages offered by other large companies. Sometimes I feel we are burdened by still operating as the small company we started out as not that long ago. We need to catch up with the rapid growth our business has had which has landed us in a new class of companies to compete with for talented employees.

"THOUGHTS FROM A LONG TERM AND FUTURE EMPLOYEE"

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Was reviewing some job postings here on glass door and couldnt help but read the comments for and against MAT.

I usually don't write reviews but I just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I love working here at MAT, imagine working at an office that is surrounded by beautiful ponds, farms, horses and ducks. Yep thats were I work, except for the parking lot view(unavoidable lol) every window you look out of hints at no sign of a typical industrial park. We are located in beautiful long grove, hidden amongst the many farms and subdivisions that occupy this lovely area. Although I'd love to have an outer office with a great window view, its nice to be able to enjoy the walks around the building in the summer with horses so close you can reach out and pet them anytime.

Well enough of the view, the office itself as some posted may be an older building, it was originally a ducks unlimited headquarters but its solid and has lots of character, to date I've seen no spiders but it wouldnt surprise me if there are a few lurking around in the basement lol. The office was freshly renovated about 6 years ago and not much has changed, of course not a lot can change when its mostly cubicles, I mean what do people expect the taj mahal? Its a place to work not to get a massage and a steak, although that would be nice too!

I think MAT gets a bad rap sometimes because of turn over, well typically the reason most people leave is because they have learned quite a bit at MAT and are ready to move on to bigger and better things. I dont think that its because of managment or the building or the water, its just that for many people its a jumping off point for the rest of their careers.

Many of the current and past employees have had their kids come in to work to intern during the summer months, what a great opportunity for those young ones and a great way to build your job history as a high school or college student.

Benefits are great, yes I wish they didnt cost and arm and a leg, but.....you can always get insurance elsewhere.....obamacare anyone?

401K is awesome, the company contributes a large amount towards your contribuition.

HR is great, very helpful and is growing with the company, they have been implementing new systems as the Company grows in order to make things easier for everyone.

Ahh so much more to write but my fingers are getting tired, I guess that means not to many cons to write.....

Cons

Ok I must admit the water might not be perfectly clear and its more on what we would call the hard side, but like most of the homes and business in Long Grove we have well water, its typical of the area, and although I've used the water for soup and coffee, I usually bring a bottle of water with me cause I'm spoiled. I dont think the water should be a reason to not want to work here lol.

Everyone says salary is low, well I'm just happy to have a job, I've worked my way up at MAT and I feel the salary level is fair, of course we'd all like to make more money. I say if you didnt like the salary they offered then why did you accept the job?

Yes we do close locations(very very rare) but it happens with lots of companies sometimes you have to consolidate and reorganize, you really cant blame them for that. I've been layed off and let go before its just part of life, you suck it up and move on, the company is in business to make a profit sometimes hard decisions have to be made, its life.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work, keep investing in your company and your employees they are the heart and soul.

Steve Wang is a visionary and to follow him is to boldly go where few have dared to follow.

We are not quite Google or Apple yet but they better watch out!

Congrats MAT on 30 years of business!

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Long Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Long Grove, IL

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I understand some of the negative reviews seen on this website in the past. I believe most of them to be generated by personnel lacking the drive to go out and get what you want. Instead i believe the frustration stems from not having opportunity handed to them.

Freedom to make your own choices and salary on par with industry standards.

Cons

Lean work environment, at some point Investment will be needed to expand support to help free up time to for the sales team to do what they do. Sell. Parking lot could use a little more room as well. Oh and the water in the fountains is hard water. I would be nice fi the employees were provided an alternative.

Advice to Management

Growth is amazing and always good. In a fast paced environment reinvesting in the infrastructure that supports such growth is a requirement.

"Good Company to work"

Pros

Great work culture.small but good company with understanding management and multi cultural fit.

Cons

Small company.Suburbs location so if you want to be surrounded by big companies or downtown city environment ,then it may not be for you.

8. "good"

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

management encourages growth and constant improvement

Cons

The company is quite frugal

Advice to Management

Be willing to invests more money into projects

9. "A Real Job, if that is what you really want."

Current Employee - Warehouse
    Current Employee - Warehouse

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at MAT is the comradeship that results from working with others to get something done that you couldn't possibly do alone. This is actually the key beauty of distribution operations on a whole, but some don't see it that way.

My coworkers, like myself, are faced with objectives, and challenges that stand in the way of those objectives. Accomplishment of our goals requires strength in both body and mind. The only people who don't make any mistakes don't do any work--and, btw, it's not a mistake until it leaves the building. These are the values that I know.

My superiors are open to feedback. Raised voices are less than a rare occurrence. Firings sometimes have taken too long to happen, but by the same token I'm not always right and the decisions have so far always had a positive impact on our operations. It is good that nobody is fired at the drop of a hat.

To my knowledge, the pay at our facility matches the local market rates for each job category. Health insurance is said to be good. I have not been called on to use it.

Vacation and personal time are ample. Many end up with some left over. These are lost, but only by personal choice.

Cons

There are no dancing girls.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. Leadership team meetings at the DC level are very important, as are other group level communications with the DC Workforce. Ops managers should be both empowered to fully employ their own budges and to conference on their strategies and decisions with one another, so as to learn or adopt new tactics.

"Don't believe everything you read, make your own assumptions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Grove, IL

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent office. Growing business that you can advance in. Great employees. Multi-cultural atmosphere. Vacation time is great for salaried employees. Finally establishing an HR Department that brought in new system that you can see your benefits and everything on-line at any time.

Cons

Salary is at low end of average salary range. Company growing and may need to consider relocating to bigger facility.

Advice to Management

Relook at your salary ranges and get away from the bottom of the range and closer to middle - top of the ranges.