MAT Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve W. Wang

Pros
  • There are honestly no pros to this organization (in 3 reviews)

• There is an opportunity to learn new career skills and add to your resume (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management in Chicago is horrible (in 8 reviews)

• kind of intimidating work environment (in 5 reviews)

"The worst compnay I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lithia Springs, Douglas, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lithia Springs, Douglas, GA

Pros

the only good thing about it was that it It was a job.

Cons

The operations manager belittled and berated her staff, everyone that worked there were miserable and bitter. The work environment was hostile and unhealthy, disorganized and stagnant. There was no room to grow or thrive at this company.

Advice to Management

Show more respect and dignity for the people who work for you, especially at the blue collar level.

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Manager in Long Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Long Grove, IL

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is nothing good about that place. It is like working with a bunch of robotic, non educated, mannerless ignorant idiots!

Cons

Everything, there is nothing good about that freaky place! People are abusive. Bills do not get paid in a timely manner. The owners are completely clueless to how people are treated. Top management are a bunch of mean, ignorant clones of each other.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to treat people nicely, just because you make money doesn't mean you are a good company to work for or with.

"Total Lack of Communication"

Pros

They have a big kitchen.

Cons

All my co-workers did nothing but complain about some aspect of working there. Managers do not communicate with employees. Everything is your fault. Every time I went to supervisor with an issue, I felt like I was bothering her. No feedback on performance. I worked there for almost 2 years, never had a performance review, was never given any warnings about my performance, verbal or written, and was let go.

Advice to Management

There's nothing I could say because no one would listen anyway.

"Don't bother with this company"

Former Employee - Credit in Long Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Credit in Long Grove, IL

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paycheck, other than that, not much to say.

Cons

Managers who don't care about you, who say nothing to you for 2 years, then come to you and tell you they're letting you go because "You're not progressing as quickly as we'd like." I never had a verbal or written warning about my performance, never had a performance review in 2 years. Good managers will want you to succeed and let you know if they're having issues with you, not wait 2 years and then the first time they mention it to you is when they're firing you. The rest of the management is awful. It took weeks, if not months, to get credits and rebates approved and there was only one person who could give the approval and the managers were afraid to do anything because they feared his wrath. Other than that, the morale was awful, and the place looked like they bought the entire building and everything in it from Goodwill. If we had to email something to a customer, we had to use a scanner from 1987 and then save it to a program then go back to our desks and send the email. They refuse to spend any money so that their employees can do their jobs efficiently. I wish there was a way to give a zero rating. I was actually relieved when they told me they were letting me go!

Advice to Management

Nothing I could say would do any good, no one cares.

"“Stay away if you already are employed”"

Former Employee - Director Level in Long Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Director Level in Long Grove, IL

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have decent healthcare coverage. Most of the people are great.

Cons

They have a ready shoot aim mentality. They pay significantly below scale. They are satisfied with getting something 75% as good as it should be; to put the effort and the money into doing it 100% would wreck their financial model. They most always are followers.

This is just how they are... they make a ton of money doing it. It is not a bad company, it just doesn't provide anything positive to look forward to.

The upper managers are aware of this. The top performers leave and their managers are not surprised. I do not know anyone below a GM level that is not considering leaving given a better opportunity.

Advice to Management

When a snow emergency is declared and it is illegal to drive within 20 miles of the office, don't dock everyone a vacation day because they couldn't come in without breaking the law. Feb 2011

"Beyond Terrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Grove, IL

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing that came out of this job is that it made me appreciate my previous jobs and the amazing people that I have had the chance to work with.

Cons

I had a bad feeling going into this job, but for some reason I still went for it. Huge mistake. Believe me when I say, PLEASE listen to the reviews posted here. I truly wish that I had listened instead of thinking it was just one disgruntled employee that decided to write a review. This was the worst job I have ever had. I think about the scenarios that occurred throughout a regular day and I cannot even believe that I actually worked in this environment. It was extremely degrading, depressing, and overall terrible. Not only did they not care at all about any type of life you thought you had outside of this place, but they were extremely unprofessional. People would unnecessarily yell at each other throughout the day...every day. Being treated with respect should not be an option in a workplace. Everything was unorganized - there was rarely a process for anything and you could not expect any kind of training. Additionally, there was a huge turnover rate and there were so many new people it was rare to find someone who actually knew what they were doing. They started to hire the cheapest people possible and would settle for below average talent. The company didn’t strive for greatness because it would have hindered their profitability. While there, I did not know a single person who wasn’t actively looking for a different job.

Please stay away.

"DO NOT work for this company!!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Long Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Long Grove, IL

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice kitchen. Nice co-workers; people just like you that hate their job!

Cons

Everything!! I read reviews on this company before I accepted the job offer. There was only 2 reviews at the time- both bad, but I kept a positive outlook. You're better off staying unemployed than taking a job at this company. Even if you're desperate. I've always had nothing but great performance reviews at every other job I've worked at and they fired me because of my "performance." What a joke. Funny how business gets slow and they start firing people for their "performance"... Now I have this big, embarrassing 7 month job on my resume that I have to explain every time I interview somewhere. Reading other reviews, I see that happened to several other people as well. This company is unlike any other I've ever seen. Its like they're in the twilight zone.

"Senior management has no respect for employees"

Current Employee - Manager in Long Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Long Grove, IL

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some nice people to work with. Nice location if you like a rural setting.

Cons

Managers take credit for the good ideas that employees have and blame the employee if the manager makes a mistake. Senior management only looks at costs and never the consequences of a decision. Management style is to scream and curse when anything is wrong. The stress level is always very high.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and don't believe the lies from your managers.

"The sorriest company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, TN

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time

Pros

There is nothing good to say about this place

Cons

Management wants to run things by people being scared of him. Then when he makes a bad decision it is someone elses fault

Advice to Management

The Jackson plant needs change and it needs to start at the director level and work it's way down. The company has no ethics at all.

"RUN AWAY!!!"

Current Employee - Executive in Long Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Executive in Long Grove, IL

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time

Pros

Salary and some of the people are the only good things about this place.

Cons

Very high turnover, very low employee morale, tremendous lack of communication, no leadership, policies and rules apply based on who likes you, nepotism running rampid - as long as your last name is Wang or you are a friend - no qualifications needed! A lot of yelling and swearing at employees. Management tells you one thing then does the opposite - get everything in writing! Very cheap - be prepared to bring your own office supplies. Be prepared to spend over $700.00 a month for your share of medical/dental benefits! Building is falling apart. Water is yellow/brownish and contains lead (they even have a sign in the kitchen over the sink!).

Advice to Management

Sell! You are selling off/closing your other divisions/companies slowly, without telling the effected people, sell this one - maybe someone else will buy it and care about the employees!