MAXIMUS Reviews | Glassdoor

MAXIMUS Reviews

Updated June 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good pay loved my shift paid holidays (in 45 reviews)

• Great co-workers who support each other in every way (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • You hardly see upper management as they are not located in NYS (in 41 reviews)

• Some corporate-level positions also offer little room for advancement (in 18 reviews)

"Any TIER II/III people should run the other direction from this company"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really none. The company is terrible.

Cons

This is by far the worse company I have ever worked for. Maximus assumed the SMB Govt contract by purchasing a small company while they were taking over the contract. Maximus boasts to have 18k employees, but fail to mention that they have a large amount of turnover and employ mostly TIER I and low level help desk agents and techs. They don't have a large amount of TIER III Engineers.
    The treat employees on contract horribly. They have contracted out the HR department, which has no phone number to call to. Only an email with a 2 day reply timeframe.
    Health insurance is a joke, and they force employees to provide birth certificates of all family members, after SSNs have been provided as well.
    Pay is in the mid range, when outside of the DC beltway.
    Onboarding was terrible. It took their outsourced IT department 2 weeks to get logins to the multiple sites, to complete required docs for the hiring process, which is due 4 weeks once hired. This is after the start date, not before.

Be warned...Maximus is a company to steer clear of.

Advice to Management

Come into 2017, start treating your employees correctly. Your business model of high turnover techs won't work for TIER III people. STOP outsourcing every damn position. The outsourced HR company is horrific.

2. "Employment Specialist"

Former Employee - Employment Specialist in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Employment Specialist in Nashville, TN

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to lie to people and make them think Maximus cares about them getting off welfare this is the job for you!

Cons

There are many; you will not see a raise or a bonus, you will be pulled in 20 different directions on a daily basis, you will never see upper management, you will not be properly trained but this will be your fault when mistakes are made. This is only half the bad stuff.

Advice to Management

Go out and get to know your employees they are the force that drives your company. Maybe if Maximus would treat employees better the good ones would stay and the turnover rate would decrease.

3. "What a job..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Folsom, CA

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great supervisor (I got lucky with this one). A few of the team leads were great help, and always stayed positive despite the high call volumes to the command center. It's a lot of material to take in and time is everything there, so it's a great way to build your multitasking, keystroke, and professionalism on the phone... Especially when you're dealing with irate callers.

Cons

Where do I start. Micromanagement. Can't go on Not Ready. Can't use personal time on Mondays and Tuesdays. A few of the team leads were rude. Caught one on the phone once, but she told me not to tell the supervisor. I didn't pay any mind since I was still new to the floor. She was probably the worst one. Moody, sneaky and one time I called the command center, she answered me with "You're still working here?". Pretty unprofessional for any professional setting. All in all, this job was mentally draining. $11/hr. Add a few dollars to that and I still wouldn't go back.

Advice to Management

Less gossiping. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't see or hear the leads/supervisors quietly and unnecessarily talking and laughing about something.

4. "Tech II"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job required reading DHHS social service applications (TANF, Medicaid, etc.) Good job fo someone who likes to work alone and filling quotas. Salary is good for the type of work being performed. No higher education required.

Cons

Monotonous, repetitious, constant sitting. Your every move is monitored, from the amount of work you process to how long you take to use the bathroom. Limited promotion opportunity. Many of the applications are in Spanish. For non-Spanish speaking employees, this made it hard to fill the required daily quota. Regardless, this job was very boring and not worth the $12.00 to sit and perform mindless work.

"Run Far Away and Fast!!"

Former Employee - Appeals Coordinator in Jenkins Township, PA
    Former Employee - Appeals Coordinator in Jenkins Township, PA

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No work to take home.

Cons

Grossly underpaid for what you do and put up with. You will be monitored down to the second, and I mean second!!!You must account for every second of your day on a time tracker, breaks, lunches, and in and out times. Expect to be chained to your desk for 8 hours. No paper, pens, cell phones, or anything at your desk but management can chat on cell phones and text away all day. Rules don't apply to all. No personal call can be made or received. Everything is recorded. Work is the same every day. You will never get a straight answer from anyone and they make up the rules as they go along. Every month you are scored on your performance. Get <98% and you are counseled and may be shown the door. Culture is demeaning, degrading, and punitive. If you have a pulse, you can easily get a job there. Freak show, people all tatted up, pierced and hair colors like the rainbow. Others look like they slept out back the night before. Worst HR department I've ever seen and most unprofessional place I have ever worked. No opportunity for anything. Makes Alcatraz look like a resort.

Advice to Management

See above.

6. "Not the greatest"

Former Employee - Enrollment Service Representative in Fort Edward, NY
    Former Employee - Enrollment Service Representative in Fort Edward, NY

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are not a lot of pros to working for this company. Most of the people are great.. supervisors are easily accessible

Cons

Pay is poor. Benefits are not great. There is little or no flexibility. There is not much opportunity for advancement

7. "Nice"

Current Employee - Technician II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technician II in New York, NY

I have been working at MAXIMUS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They invest in you, if you have the right attitude

Cons

None so far. Keep it up!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

8. "Great to gain experience to move on elsewhere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits to working with Maximus was the paid holidays off, the location in downtown Chicago, and the experience working towards helping families. It's was a great platform to expand my skills. The experience and knowledge I did gain led me to a better opportunity elsewhere.

Cons

The majority of the management team was anything but professional. This specific project was like high school. There was a lot of gossip regarding which co-workers were sleeping together, who wore what, and why things are done the way they were.

Advice to Management

Seriously consider treating your employees with respect. Just because they don't qualify to get paid minimum wage doesn't mean they don't have anything to offer.

9. "A Great Company"

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Pittston, PA
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Pittston, PA

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great company and teaches you many things.

Cons

It was too far for me to get to without a car/license.

"Tech 3"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at MAXIMUS (More than 5 years)

Pros

They gave some flexible schedules

Cons

In the past they had some horrible supervisors. One of them got fired an other one finally retired and the one who is still there continues to harrasss employees to mask her incompetence.

Advice to Management

More professionalism in the work place. Get rid of the bad apples,