MAXIMUS Reviews in Sacramento, CA | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MAXIMUS President, CEO, and Director Rich Montoni
Rich Montoni

Pros
  • Good pay loved my shift paid holidays (in 41 reviews)

• Great co-workers who support each other in every way (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • You hardly see upper management as they are not located in NYS (in 39 reviews)

• No work/life balance and very difficult to progress up the ladder (in 17 reviews)

1. "More pros then cons"

Former Contractor - Eligibility Specialist in Folsom, CA
    Former Contractor - Eligibility Specialist in Folsom, CA

I worked at MAXIMUS as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked on two projects here. I really enjoyed the position as an Eligibility Specialist. It paid $15 an hour, and the second project paid the same. I enjoyed the people I worked with and was able to work a lot of overtime. Since the first project did not require a phone, they allowed us to listen to music with head phones. The work was satisfying, but procedures changed constantly. Most people here are temporary employees, and pay will vary according to the project which may end eventually. There are other more long term projects, but the pay was either $13 or $11 an hour. Attendance is the #1 factor for getting moved to a new project.

Cons

Definitely the working conditions. When the building is fully staffed be prepared to wait in line for the bathroom. It is rare to have a cubicle, so you may be sitting in close proximity to other people which makes it difficult to hear when you are on the phone. They crammed a lot of people into one large room. Parking can also be a challenge.

2. "Wonderful Experience!!"

Former Contractor - Data Processing Specialist in Folsom, CA
    Former Contractor - Data Processing Specialist in Folsom, CA

I worked at MAXIMUS as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Work independently
    Over 500 Staff members made the work place very fun. You get to meet so many people. Felt as if I was back in high school.

Cons

Very routine
    Training / Orientation was ineffective. Very dry presentation; alot of sitting

3. "AppAdmin"

Former Contractor - Applications Administrator in Cameron Park, CA
    Former Contractor - Applications Administrator in Cameron Park, CA

I worked at MAXIMUS as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of interesting projects, lots of opportunity for learning and some great people.

Cons

Training was not available to me, workload was excessive with no relief from team or management and departments seemed soloed.

Advice to Management

Provide more training and more management interaction

5. "Eligibility Specialist"

Current Employee - Eligibility Specialist in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Eligibility Specialist in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at MAXIMUS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Company to work for.

Cons

none. I'm happy about this company.

Advice to Management

none

"Eligibility Specialist"

Current Employee - Eligibility Specialist in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Eligibility Specialist in Folsom, CA

Pros

I work with some amazing people. Everyone is incredibly friendly and helpful. The hours are wonderful. We received a full 3 weeks of intensive training and then had trainers available to answer questions on the production floor for an additional 3 weeks. The job is fun and challenging.

Cons

No cell phones allowed in the work areas and no land line on the desk either. I understand due to the confidential nature of the information we deal with, however, there are occasions when there is a legitimate need to be in touch with the outside world that does not coincide with lunch or break. Small work space as far as proximity to other people. Not looking forward to flu season!

7. "Temporary company to get experience"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Folsom, CA

Pros

Dead end job, no promotion. Maximus only dealing with temporary agency to hire CSR and some people stayed for 3 years in temporary status and no hiring.

Cons

Maximus is government enrolment broker for Medi-Cal. Medi-Cal is disaster at this moment, people are very upset with this health program and often mistaken California Health Option for government medical office, but is just a broker. The Packet for Medi-Cal is poorly written too complicated for ordinary people.

Advice to Management

Change packet content and write with introduction that California Health option is only broker and cannot change name in state system just assist to pick up the Managed care plan in county and do phone enrollment.

8. "Terrible Security, Management Worse"

Former Employee - Eligibility Specialist in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Eligibility Specialist in Folsom, CA

Pros

Nice breakrooms, complete with fridges, microwaves, toasters, paper and plastic utensils, free coffee, and vending machines. The location I worked at had a nice creek trail which employees were free to walk around.

Cons

They will suck every second of every hour of production out of you. If they think they've lost time because of you or a team member, they'll make you work overtime, without the overtime. Some positions, like mine, will put you in a room with no windows.

The worst part about Maximus is their bureaucracy. They train you report security incidents you find by accident but will can you if you do (which is what happened to me) and they do it in the most demeaning way possible. They claim their systems are automatically secured, which is a requirement when dealing with federal data, but they're not. Everything is sent in plain text or some pseudo-secure form. Some systems even keep the default password. That being said, if you work here and notice an issue with security, even if someone is stealing PHI, DO NOT notify your manager, help desk, or security. Instead, notify the federal government!

Speaking of their systems, they're painfully slow ALL the time. This works against you because you have a quota to meet regardless of the length of tasks, that includes the time you spend on it and the time the system spends on it.

Advice to Management

Instead of firing intelligent people, commend them for their work. Also, get rid of trainees that do nothing but stare at their computer screen. Security audits should be done on all management personnel. Penetration testing needs to be done on your systems.

9. "Data Entry Specialist"

Current Contractor - Data Entry Specialist in Folsom, CA
    Current Contractor - Data Entry Specialist in Folsom, CA

I have been working at MAXIMUS as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice working hours and break rooms and decent pay. They give time to new hires to learn the task through training and shadowing.

Cons

The supervisors don't bother to talk to you, get to know you, or check on you. They look mad / sad ALL THE TIME. So many of my coworkers slacking off yet they rant a lot and they put the negative energy to the working space. No SPVs/management people care about these rude employees. Maximus should know how to handle people who slack off and appreciate people who work hard.

Advice to Management

Please give more care to your employees and create positive working environment!

"Sucks don't trust them"

Former Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Folsom, CA

Pros

Pretty decent pay, good work environment and that's about it. My co workers were awesome!

Cons

Let go abruptly when we were told in the beginning if our project ended we could go to another department. Not the case at all!!!! Supervisors kept saying not to fear loosing our job.

Advice to Management

Get It together and don't promise or say stuff you can't keep. "Tell us not to fear for our jobs" then we get "let go".

"Great environment"

Former Employee - Veterans Choice Customer Service Representative in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Veterans Choice Customer Service Representative in Folsom, CA

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working at Maximus. They people that work there are super nice and helpful.

Cons

They took a long time getting us our log in usernames and passwords so we can begin working.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Everyone in management was awesome and helpful.