MBS Textbook Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Bob Pugh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Steady hours Monday thru Friday, good benefits, weekends and holidays off (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits, usually hire from within for better jobs, good opportunity for advancement, great for students, rent books for free (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't believe in keeping the employee morale up (in 11 reviews)

• nazi like management, low pay, no chain of command, high turnover, old equipment that is very hazardous, poor ventilation (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great if you want money"

Pros

Paid 30 minute lunches are a bonus

Cons

Long hours of repeated work

Advice to Management

N/a

"the good the bad the really really ugly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

worked with some very nice smart people who knew what they were doing and did it well. made good friends and coworkers ill keep in touch with. people are generally friendly.
    good work life balance didnt have to work alot of overtime
    learned alot in beginning and liked my first manager who left (smart)and we got stuck with a moron.

Cons

too much nepotism there (see moron comment above) and favoritism. company is "stuck". too much "legacy "holding it back and wont move forward with innovation or investments. lots of longtime employees dont want to change or do things a new way because they like routine and doing it same old way and clockig out at 4pm. guess what everybody? the internet was invented! deal with it! lots of employees there who get in the way and make your job harder. terrible communication from managers.
     benefits are average. not great paid leave. they need to get with the times and understand that 2 weeks is not good vacation. terrible pay compared to other companies. lowest raises ever gotten in my career. why is everyone mentioning 401K? must be first time with that opportunity? they dont let you contribute for a whole year! why?? review process is a joke. no training, no education benefits. so cheap. HELLO YOURE AN EDUCATION COMPANY. but it all boils down to they dont care about their employees.

read the other reviews on here before you apply and believe them. yes mbs is ok and yes its bad. you could get a good manager you could get a really bad one. you might get a sexist pig one.

Advice to Management

start weeding out the bad apples and you might have a good company. grow some balls and fire people who dont pull their wait or HARASS your employees. thats illegal you know?

"Not a great place to work, good people poor managers, really terrible vice president of systems."

Current Employee - Systems in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Systems in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, generally caring and supportive.

Cons

Managers that threaten you with the threat of dismissal rather than encouraging positive situations. Systems vice-president not interested in the morale of staff and very willing to show anger without understanding the whole issue.

Advice to Management

Worry about how your disrespectful anger affects those you depend on and hire someone with skills from the specific area to manage, not someone from an unrelated area or from outside the company.

4. "Recieving Clerk"

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

It can get really hot in warehouse and they freeze you in the offices

5. "A Good Opportunity for Many"

Current Employee - Worker in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Worker in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will have opportunity to learn some new skills. This may include managing customer accounts efficiently, or it may include new technical skills. You may have opportunity to move to another department and break into a career that you're more interested in, because it is a big company and MBS tends to promote from within. The company has a matching 401k plan I believe up to 6%. There is also a profit-sharing plan, which gives you a little bump at the end of the year. The benefits are good, and they also have child care and medical care flex spending accounts so you can pay for these expenses with pre-tax money. The grounds at MBS are beautiful, and it's nice to take a walk on your break during the summer.

Cons

You will be given alot of responsibility, and there has been so much expected of me that I have often felt overwhelmed. You will be held accountable to get everything done that you're supposed to whether the workload is manageable or not. The higher-level management style in general does not seem to motivate people primarily through affirmation or rewarding them for doing a good job, though I've worked with some great team managers. I feel lot of pressure from management to have everything done, though we do not have enough people to do the work. There is a high turnover rate, as younger people tend to come in and acquire skills, then leave after 1-3 years.

Advice to Management

Please conduct a study on why people are leaving MBS, and what can be done to change that, for the benefit of those left behind who must pick up the slack, but also for the company's well being. Thank you!

"Unvalueable"

Current Employee - Inventory Inspector in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Inventory Inspector in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady hours Monday thru Friday, good benefits, weekends and holidays off

Cons

You will be underpaid, unvalued and demeaned constantly

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and be professional

7. "Great place to grow and learn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked for the Textbooks.com division in Boston and it was a great start-up type environment. Fantastic management, work hard/play hard kind of group. Got to tackle a lot of new challenges and grow my skill set.

Cons

The work from home/flexible type schedule was a little challenging when I was there but that was really at the tipping point of that type of environment so maybe it has evolved since then.

8. "E-Content Specialist"

Current Employee - E-Content Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - E-Content Specialist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment, benefits and company

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep it up .

9. "No consideration for staff that puts in the effort"

I have been working at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time

Pros

It pays the bills. Slackers are rewarded

Cons

Slackers are rewarded. The harder you work, the more work you will be given. Consideration is given to those who gossip and whine.

Advice to Management

Please take notice of the staff that has the time to gossip and goof off. I know warm bodies are needed and turn over is high in the department., You must take action against those who are not performing.

10. "Decent but needs room for improvement"

I have been working at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time

Pros

No dress code, very casual, friendly coworkers. When people say the people are one off the pros of working at mbs they aren't mistaken. Good 401k. Decent paying if you're a college student or just starting your career path. If you're fulltime than you can borrow books for free while in college. Saves tons of money.

Cons

Low pay. I cannot stress that enough. They pay is a lower than most good paying jobs in Columbia. Management also should pay more attention to the very hardworking employees that try improve mbs everyday. Reward them.

Advice to Management

Increase wages, show more trust and invest in the keeper employees. Have more employee team morale building experiences.