MCD Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Ian Magnani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Sweatshop"

Pros

Free snacks / drinks and good benefits

Cons

Lack of training or appetite to help employees success at their job

Advice to Management

Management needs to Manage.

"has potential, but...."

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at MCD Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice people, no drama, and staff is talented, smart, and collaborative

Cons

boring work, very slow, poor communication at times. very stingy pay and terrible benefits

Advice to Management

create a more dynamic workplace. generate more creative work.

"unfulfilling"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MCD Partners (Less than a year)

Pros

It's been a quite a few years now since I interned here. Most of the people whom I worked with apparently are no longer there, so I assume it's okay to write an honest review here now, haha.

Was originally quite excited for my internship, as any college student would be. Interesting website and some the work seemed interesting despite the poor reviews on Glassdoor at the time.

There was a food pantry on both floors, but I remember it was mostly the 3rd floor that was relatively stocked. Those on the 2nd floor would sneak into the 3rd floor for munchies. Snacks were generally some nuts, fruits, and candies, nothing super amazing, but enough to keep me happy.

Most people are relatively chill, and many had lots of ambition. The full time designers I worked with were amazing, in terms of skill and personality. Developers were extremely chill, and PMs were even chiller. The partners are also great people and very approachable, despite being an intern.

Cons

I quickly learned after finding myself at other jobs that there is much more out there to employee benefits than a free banana in a bowl and some nuts in a jar. Perhaps beer on tap, or maybe even just a ping pong table to keep employees happy would help. Most of them were pretty bored.

What made this internship experience unfulfilling really - was the lack of stimulation. Sure I learned a few tools, but I didn't feel any sort of mentorship etc. Everything was learned on my own. At the end of the internship, there wasn't much to show. The work was very boring.

I did a lot of grunt work. A whole lot. There was a full time employee at the time that had just handed me grunt work that he got assigned because he didn't want to do it. He quit early in my internship. Most companies don't make their interns fetch coffee anymore.

Throughout my stay, multiple employees had quit. People were telling me left and right to not come back, as there is no future working here.

Towards the end of my stay, I did receive more stimulating work, but I had to really fight for it.

Advice to Management

A piece of 'advice' I got from one bad egg was to not be overly ambitious, and not to step pass my role. Don't threaten and berate your younger employees. That's not going to make any of them want to come back.

Many complained about the lack of reward for their time there.

"An agency focused on experiences that matter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MCD Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great mix of people with strong experience in the digital field. They focus mostly on experiences that are a core value to a product or service which is why they skew heavier on the financial clients. There's always the occasional campaign or redesign that lets the creative muscles really flex. There are snacks, drinks, happy hours, and after work outings. A good mix of younger folks and more experienced senior managers. Definitely a place you can learn a lot and grow in your career.

Cons

This isn't an agency where the big idea matters unless you have the big idea plus the idea of how it makes business sense to the client and how you plan to get it in market.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and bring home some additional campaign / redesign work that lets our creative shine.

"A Genuine Agency with Genuine People"

I have been working at MCD Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Genuinely nice and fun group of people. When times get tough, someone is always there to make you laugh, therefore the team mentality is very strong and supportive. None of that cutthroat crap. There's a lot of opportunity to move up, grow, and continuously learn in your field. Free drinks and snacks, and plenty of happy hours. People actually like each other and will hang out outside of work often.

Cons

The hours can be long but it's like at any agency.

Advice to Management

Keep growing new business to keep everyone motivated

"Friendly Environment/Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

Pros

Large level of autonomy and responsibility, ability to work on many different and interesting projects, friendly coworkers

Cons

Wish there were more development opportunities and clearer performance objectives

"digital sweatshop"

Current Employee - User Experience in New York, NY
    Current Employee - User Experience in New York, NY

Pros

I honestly have nothing to recommend the place other than the paycheck.

Cons

The partners are personality-deficient, egotistical and have no idea how to treat employees other than provide free drinks and snacks. No one's work is praised, no one is made to feel valued or appreciated and they manage from a distance rather than hands-on.

There is a high level of dishonesty and secrecy among the partners, communication is poor and the culture is pretty toxic for a digital agency.

This is an organization that will most likely not grow past its current level, while consistently churning through employees and clients. I'll be leaving soon.

I would not recommend anyone serious about their career to join this company.

8. "Take an Internship Here!"

Former Employee - User Experience Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - User Experience Intern in Chicago, IL

Pros

The people here are fantastic & really made my experience the best it could be. They're funny, smart, and creative - and very welcoming. You can feel free to ask questions and know you'll get well-thought-out answers. Everyone seems genuinely interested in their work & helping one another.

This company has a lot of events & free snacks, which keeps the atmosphere fresh and exciting. And there's a plastic skeleton that finds his way to hilarious places day-to-day.

Cons

It can at times be difficult to organize projects when they're split between New York and Chicago, but as long as there's effective communication, it can be done.

"Come for the paycheck, not the portfolio"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MCD Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good location.
    -Good snacks.
    -People are nice enough; no drama.
    -Hours/work-life balance are decent.
    -Somewhat secure in that Discover has been a client forever.

Cons

-Work is boring and unimaginative. Feel sorry for the designers. Nothing is portfolio worthy.
    -Management keeps you in the dark.
    -Freelancers are not respected or kept in the loop. Expected to be at beck and call.
    -Barely any culture.

Advice to Management

Be open-minded. Mingle with everyone else. We are all people.

"Great place to begin or end your career"

I have been working at MCD Partners full-time

Pros

Very smart and talented people. The environment is pretty chill and hours are from 9-6, with no one working late very often. Fruits, snacks and drinks to keep you fueled.

Cons

Client work remains the same. Projects lean more on maintenance than new innovations. Should look to being a full service agency and not limit itself to only front-end solutions. Partners could be more vocal with agency plans and goals.

Advice to Management

There's always room for improvement. Don't let complacency drive others away. Look to younger companies who need nurturing and stop reaching for the higher fruit everyone else is. Win by ushering in new companies to existing markets through clever branding.