MCN Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

"Hard Work Required"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I have been working at MCN Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office culture is most always very positive and upbeat. There are constantly awesome contests for the Reps to win all inclusive trips, sporting event tickets, as well as cash bonuses. Advancement opportunities are real, and the company paid conferences are AMAZING. I like that they offer a base salary plus commissions to start out. It helped me in the beginning until I became consistent.

Cons

This is definitely NOT a position for someone with the "average work ethic". You have to put 100% into every single day in order to succeed. It definitely took some time to gain thick skin, so that the "no's" I dealt with did not effect my overall outcome.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote the OPPORTUNITY for advancement, as there so many sales & marketing positions in Columbus with zero partnership/consultant opportunity. I think sometimes Reps lose sight of that!

2. "Direct Marketing=Cold Calling"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Dublin, OH

I worked at MCN Associates (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of training and insights into the world of sales and marketing. They'll hire anyone.

Cons

Where to begin? The pay was 100% commission based which meant it was feast or famine. Commission was rated at 28% of your total sales but was capped at $500 for one order. So I took home anywhere from $200 - $400 a week minus expenses. The campaign I was on was Quill office supplies. Also, you'll be using your own vehicle to drive around all day. This puts a lot of wear and tear on your car and gouges your wallet for gas money. They will tell you that traveling expenses are a tax write off so keep your receipts. But can you really afford to pay around $100 a week in gas just for work until next tax season? If you go out in the "field" with a partner, you also expected to help with gas money or pay them back in some way like buying them lunch.

The work itself can be physically demanding as you are constantly going from business to business in all kinds of wonderful Ohio weather. Lunch breaks are a luxury and shouldn't be more than 20 minutes so you can get back out there and make some sales before you return to the office. After the morning meeting is wrapped up and you make it out to your territory (sometimes over an hour away), you're already racing against the clock.

Mentally, the work can be a little overwhelming at first. There is some merit in this because it definitely made me better at speaking to complete strangers, making small talk, walking into places uninvited, and handling rejection/bad attitudes from all kinds of people. However, I've been yelled at, insulted, threatened, and belittled from complete strangers. Another rep even had a gun pulled out on him when he walked into a small office of a crazy veteran.

The turnover rate was very high which makes it next to impossible to build a team in order to get promoted to management which is the end goal. The work environment could also be very toxic. You're essentially competing against all your fellow co-workers. The management tells you to stay positive and not "neg out" but then turns around and goes off on everyone during the morning meeting for not making enough sales.

Your sales are highly dependent on what kind of territory you have. Some places are better than others and those putting up the numbers will be given preferential treatment when it comes to territory. Some places have had reps there so much that a lot of businesses already know the deal when you walk in the door. Other times, a previous rep may have done something shady or created a bad reputation which makes everything an uphill struggle.

The environment is designed to keep you there. It's a lot of psychology. Team night is best avoided. It's just a scam to keep you from quitting under the guise of sharing some beers and relaxing with your co-workers. Another rep got a DUI after leaving a team night after a few drinks. The office culture can almost feel cult-like at times. Everyone is putting on a positive face to keep a positive atmosphere but that couldn't be farther from the truth.

In summary, unless direct marketing is your life's calling, don't waste your time and money.

Advice to Management

Be honest with the job from the beginning.

3. "Not bad but certainly not good."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dublin, OH

I have been working at MCN Associates (More than a year)

Pros

The biggest highlight would have to be the awesome office culture! We always had fun when we were all together.

Cons

Where to start:
    1. no base salary for the 40+hr work weeks
    2. no benefits
    3. no gas reimbursement

Advice to Management

Allow for a base salary to help the employees.

"Takes a lot of work"

Current Employee - Client Representative in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Client Representative in Dublin, OH

I have been working at MCN Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just started with the company. So far I've noticed a pretty positive atmosphere, everyone seems to get along great. No typical work drama. With the Entry level training program, they are willing to give people with little experience a shot at working their way up. The great thing is that this is a no seniority company, seems to be unlimited room for advancement. Also, I came from a retail background, so not having to work nights and weekends is a major plus. The manager is pretty flexible with time off and any emergency situations as well. Travel opportunities are awesome too.

Cons

The training program is not set up for those who are not looking to eventually be in a management role. Not necessarily a con, but for those who aren't looking to oversee an office this probably isn't the job for you.

Advice to Management

Not any complaints, keep up the good work and always remember there are people out there willing to work for it!

6. "Account Representative"

Pros

Very outgoing staff, employees are able to move into management positions within a year, employees learn all aspects of the company including recuiting and account management

Cons

Business to business sales which can be difficult to some, long hours 8:30-6, quick pace management trainee program

"Run away as fast as you can."

Pros

None whatsoever. I would give this a rating of -5 stars if it were possible.

Cons

They are dishonest about the fact that this is a commission only job. You will peddle office supplies door to doo for 50 hours a week or more in territories that have been hit time and time again by previous employees who realized this gig was going to get them nowhere and left and be greeted by business owners that are tired of seeing the revolving door of sales reps. I checked back on their Facebook page 6 months after I left and the group shot of employees consisted of an entirely different bunch of people. High turnover = a problem with your business, although they would like to make you think it's your fault.

Advice to Management

Shut it down. No one needs what you are selling and you are misleading employees on purpose that this is door to door commission only sales.

"Terrible"

Pros

There are no pros if I could give zero stars I would! I would avoid this place if I were you.

Cons

Keep being promised that we will be paid and it's been over a month and they won't pay us avoiding all our phone calls emails and texts. We still haven't gotten paid

Advice to Management

I worked over 50 hours a week for you guys and you can't pay me my final check? Get with it! You need to hire new management

"Best to be avoided"

Pros

Plenty of immature "professionals" who think they know what they're doing, great opportunity for someone with experience to fight an uphill battle trying to teach these children what marketing really is.

Cons

They hire ANYONE who will take the job. The recruiter doesn't look at your resume, it matters NOT what your education, experience and skill set are, they're simply looking for warm bodies to put in front of clients. Bluntly stated; they care only about the bottom line - not the happiness of their employees.

Advice to Management

Shut it down, go get real jobs, and get some life experience. Use this as a learning experience in how NOT to run a company. Although you may be profitable now, your business model is not sustainable. Do not confuse current success with longevity.