MD Anderson Cancer Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 11, 2018
1,343 reviews

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are many resources in supporting work life balance" (in 66 reviews)

• "Company that offers Great Benefits" (in 174 reviews)

Cons
  • "Having to pay for parking is definitely a con but this applies to any facility in the Texas Medical Center" (in 28 reviews)

• "Work/Life Balance - but a lot of it is because I want to be available" (in 26 reviews)

1. "It feels great to be able to help so many people"

Current Employee - Doctor of Pharmacy in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Doctor of Pharmacy in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is very rewarding to be part of the MD Anderson healthcare team; where we are working to cure cancer and truly help so many people. The ability to help others has drawn many like minded staff members and volunteers and has created a supportive and caring culture. Employees, management and the clinical staff work well together and treat each other respectfully. Professional expertise is appreciated and we have autonomy to make clinical decisions. If you are motivated to make a difference you will have the ability to do it at MD Anderson Cancer Center.

Cons

Working in a 24/7 investigational hospital requires good communication between shifts and access to a large amount of people, sometimes it is difficult to find the right person to answer your question.

Advice to Management

Spend time working with and talking to the people who you manage, it makes the team stronger.

2. "Awesome place to develop careers"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding leadership at the top with Peter Pisters and he is selecting a diverse team of leaders in the C Suite. An in precedent team of women and minority leaders.

Cons

A very complex and big organization

Advice to Management

keep working on putting employees first.

3. "Best Employer"

Current Employee - Grants Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Grants Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has been about a month since I started working for MD Anderson Cancer Center. I cannot tell you enough just in one single review, this is the best place I had ever worker during my career. When you are looking for an employer, you always want to be with the best one. I did an extent research trying to find out what was great about working with MD Anderson, but you are never going to find out until you actually start working here. First and the most important favor is the cause why we are all here, to help and contribute to eliminate cancer. Every single employee, doesn’t matter what position, department or level is important as anyone else. I had never felt so proud to say where I work and what I do until I started at MD Anderson. I feel very blessed by having the opportunity to work for MD Anderson, this organization not only cares about its patients, but also takes care of its employees. I do not know any other employer that would have what we have in campus. You just need to work here…

Cons

I don’t really have anything negative to say about the institution, other than I wish they would make more affordable parking for employees. The parking can be limited and expensive. It does not affect me since MD Anderson has a program for commuters. I live in EADO so I take the metro rail and MD Anderson, will deduct the amount I select pre-tax to pay for it. PLUS I will get reimbursed in case I need to drive in my vehicle twice a month.

Advice to Management

My management is really great! They are very inclusive, and they are always looking for areas to help me and my team develop.

4. "Company review"

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

The president of the organization leads by example. He is a true representation of servant leadership. The people that work at MDA are truly committed to the cause of eliminating cancer. There is an atmosphere of caring, concern and compassion at MDA.

Cons

Some employees have been in their positions for many years, which leads to a need for more opportunities for succession planning.

5. "Manager Business Services"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great morale, great benefits, so many opportunities to craft a career path

Cons

Tough to get foot in the door, can be tough watching patients in pain

Advice to Management

Keep heading the direction we are currently going!

6. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reputable company with focus on patients

Cons

Catty work environment, 6 month probationary period with no days to miss

7. "Assistant Professor, NTA"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Top notch research environment in terms of access to expertise and technology

Cons

Very bureaucratic and can often run into advisers/management that have old school mentality that leaning hard on people is the best way to get work done without treating the employee as a person

Advice to Management

Recognize people are willing to work hard if they fill that there is support for that work in terms of work environment being a fulfilling place.

8. "Great place to work"

Pros

The pay and benefits were great.

Cons

Too slow when it comes to hiring in-house and moving into the new position

Advice to Management

Nothing bad to say.

9. "Inspiring, challenging and supportive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Until I started working at MD Anderson, every company or job was just that . . . a job. Some companies were really good and I enjoyed both the work and the environment but it was never more than a job. Working at MD Anderson is a mission, an opportunity to serve our patients and other employees in everything that I do. If I'm having a bad day or frustrated, I take a walk around the hospital and I'm immediately reminded why I work here. The caring that is displayed daily is inspiring and fulfilling to me. The culture is continuing to transform in more positive and collaborative ways and I want to continue working here to see how far we can go.

Cons

Nothing is easy from navigating to communicating to caring for our patients to breakthrough research. Our mission is to end cancer. But, you aren't alone in anything and you will find support from leaders, coworkers and our patients as well. You just need to understand that working here requires you to give your best, think critically and work as a team.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path that you've started with emphasizing emotional intelligence, strategic decision-making, collaborating and challenging the status quo. It's helping greatly to push the organization forward.

10. "Good place for the Cancer Research!"

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

State Government institution!! A quite solid job security.
    But always depends on the PI's financial status.

Cons

State Government institution!!
    Many paperwork processes are slow!!