MD Anderson Cancer Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Ronald A. DePinho

1. "Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

MD Anderson has great benefits package

Cons

Now work life balance. Too many politics

Advice to Management

Management do not have the skills

2. "Amazing patients, terrible management."

Former Employee - Secretary in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Secretary in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I volunteered in the pediatrics and the patients themselves made me stay for 13 years.

Cons

Your HR rep that was in charge of my department was extremely clueless. So she would talk down to you and then tell your boss. It was supposed to be confidential, which I figured that out quickly. Major cliques, tattle telling and around 80% of the administrators were never at their desk, but at someone else's desk gossiping or complaining about a coworker. Office politics is a big problem throughout the whole institution..

Advice to Management

Treat your employees equally, micro management slows down the workload we have and when they decide to get rid of you, they don't write you up, they just let you go without explaining the reason for the hasty departure.

3. "Unrealized potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Excellent office facilities. Noble mission. Good compensation. Friendly co-workers. Lots of good, honest work to be done here.

Cons

Poor hiring practices, especially for management positions. Some managers and directors are abusive of their staff and do not know how to manage people or projects. Chronic understaffing in certain areas, especially in the IS division. Upper management in complete chaos.

Advice to Management

Try to better understand the portfolio of services that you are trying to manage. Recruit and then retain high quality staff. Provide extra scrutiny for people hired into manager (and above) positions.

"Leadership Ran Company Into Ground"

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Patients. Learning about cancer and all the new things they are doing to cure it

Cons

Layoffs. Clock- in down to the exact minute required and watched now that we are in crisis. We get in trouble if we clock- in online 1 minute early and you can get fired. It doesn't matter if your parking garage is a ten minute walk then you walk in the building is 5 minutes. Even if your peers park in a garage 1 minute away, they still dont care you are spending more time at work. The benefits aren't that good and we have to pay 7% of our paycheck towards retirement fund that we don't even get unless we work here 5 years.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the times. Your benefits are terrible since we have to pay 7%. Be grateful that we are working our tails off saving the company from the disaster you put us in...especially when yelling at us for being 1 minute late after a 20 minute walk. That is ridiculous.

"CTRC LAB"

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Helping and encouraging the patients.

Cons

Management- Passion Lockett, Jawana Phillips are the worst managers ever! Unprofessional rude messy and spread lies among the lab technicians.No regular lunch breaks.Improper processing of samples are allowed and well known about. OSHA and JCHAO violations in all areas.

Advice to Management

Get a whole new management team.

"Not Financially Sound"

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Teachers Retirement System (TRS) retirement plan
    Vacation (PTO) accrual

Cons

Senior Leadership not transparent; poor business decisions/leadership
    No longer feels patient centric (making money and big bonus payouts seems the primary goal)
    Growth opportunities are stagnant in most cases
    Processes and systems tend to be outdated

Advice to Management

Laying employees off employees will not solve the issues of low patient volumes and being millions of dollars in debt. The root cause issues: the reason you have low patient volume is because patients can't afford fees incurred for services; insurance companies are starting to refer patients to other facilities for their healthcare needs; overspending allowing physicians/others to fly first class when traveling (unheard of for a state organization); and over staffing/spending during financially sound times. When implementing a new system (EPIC), you should not literally shutdown business for a month and expect to rebound financially even though monies were set aside as a cushion. The impact was more devastating that you anticipated. It would have been more effective to implement industry best practices (i.e. Harris Health (the county hospital system) and others to incrementally implement EPIC and by full implementation there were no adverse affects. Until you put the patients first and stop focusing on big bonus payouts, especially on the executive-level, MD Anderson will never solve its problems.

"Researcher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonably good benefits, strong scientific environment

Cons

No opportunity for advancement, Houston is a very difficult city in which to live and commute, recent layoffs and rumors of additional layoffs

9. "associate application System Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Good Benefits for family and free medical benefits

Cons

Management is terrible. Its all about luck and brown nosing

Advice to Management

Too many politics

"PBS Associate"

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

medical insurance free for employee only

Cons

Upper Management sucks! A lot of favoritism, if you are not part of the kiss butt team, you will have lot of problems with upper management. Upper management like to pick on you even if you're doing your work and meeting productivity. Don't come here PBS 8th floor

Advice to Management

Need to stop having favorites and catering to them because they aren't doing their work but you love them. You want to pick on the ones that are doing their work

11. "Clinical Research Finance"

Current Contractor - Clinical Research Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Clinical Research Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility for FT but not contract workers.

Cons

Increase workload for less pay. Not securable employment changes every minute.