MD Anderson Cancer Center Reviews | Glassdoor

MD Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho
Ronald A. DePinho

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Be careful of poor management and poor leadership"

Current Employee - Physician
    Current Employee - Physician

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hardworking and dedicated employees, great place for cancer patients to be taken care of. Good benefits.

Cons

Management and leadership have no idea what they are doing. Recent Big Survey of all employees showed low scores on leadership and managers, in fact, it was lowest in years. The senior executive leaders of DePinho and others recently "quit" (more like they were nicely told to resign). New leadership has taken over and many of them have no idea how to lead a large organization. Many of them are doctors who have been academics all of their life and they are clueless about management, business, and people skills. The managers that report to them are also clueless. It can feel like the blind is leading the blind sometimes. It surprises me this place has not gone under, but when you have a reputation as they do from years past, they have been able to survive for now. Unless leadership and managers change or get serious help, this place is in trouble.

"World renowned institution but hardly impressive."

Former Employee - Senior Secretary in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Secretary in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are awesome!
    Having MDA a previous employer on your resume usually impresses other employers because of MDA's reputation.
    MDA employs somewhere around 20k employees! You will be able to network at a magnitude level.
    I have learned so much from working at MDA. You learn to troubleshoot and use the array of resources the institution has to offer.

Cons

Contrary to popular beliefs, MDA does not pay that well compared to other institutions in the medical center. Of course, this will vary on your position. I left to go to UT and got a $15k raise!
    The parking is expensive and there are so many buildings. Expect to commute often within the institution. Arrive at least 20 minutes before you have to clock in.
    I worked for two different departments and went on numerous interviews, growth is difficult in MDA. I finally got promoted to another department and only got a $3000 increase. They also have to meet a quota for interviews, meaning they will interview individuals even if they already have someone in mind to hire.
    I will admit, customer service at MDA is pretty low because the patients are pretty aggressive and abusive. I have had a pager thrown at me from a patient! I have seen numerous physical altercations between patients!
    The culture here is "who" you know and not "what" you know. People will get promoted because of their relationships with others.
    There are many slackers here and it is difficult to get fired from a state institution so expect to do the work of others.
    Their evaluation system is a joke. Management (that barely interacts with you) will evaluate your yearly performance which affects your merit.
    Low morale throughout the institution. People usually stay with MDA because of their benefits but other UT institutions have very similar benefits.
    Their payroll is confusing! You will hardly receive the same check because of the way they calculate their payroll. Also, OT gets paid two weeks behind.

Advice to Management

Please re-evaluate your compensation and re-structure the culture at MDA. This used to be a good place to work at until upper management such as DePinho ran it to the ground.

"Senior Research Scientist"

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

collaborate with a multidisciplinary teams.

Cons

Promotion is very rare or might be impossible.

Advice to Management

Manage as leader not as boss.

4. "Patient Services Coordiantor"

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great health and wellness benfits

Cons

Management of Diagnostic Imaging is not very supportive of their employees and does not appear to care very much about them as people.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, support them, listen to them, and care about them as people.

"Great benefit, but management........"

Current Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love caring for patients and assisting them.
    They have great benefits.

Cons

Management is horrible.
    Management is inconsiderate and will overwhelm you with no regard for what's already on your plate.
    In my department there is favoritism.
    There isn't much room for advancement or ability transfer to other departments.
    The pay is not the best. Other hospitals in TMC pay more
    Morale is down and they do nothing to bring it up.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees exactly how you want to be treated or how you would want you love ones to be treated.

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The goal of MD Anderson is great

Cons

Administrative personnel are horrible and abusive to work for.

Advice to Management

Hold management accountable and terminate those who do not comply

"I would look for employment elsewhere"

Former Employee - Grant Program Coordinator
    Former Employee - Grant Program Coordinator

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great--health insurance paid for, teacher retirement plan, sick days and PTO are rolled into one bank.

I will say, another perk is working with some amazing faculty members. There are some great doctors at MDACC, I won't even try to discredit that. If you are sick with cancer, MDACC is the place to go. There are some brilliant doctors and researchers.

Cons

MIDDLE MANAGEMENT IS AWFUL. Directors, Department Administrators, Program Managers, ect. truly dont have their employees best interest or the MDACC mission at heart. They are only in it for how far they can get ahead.

Management only want to make themselves look better and will never admit when they've made a mistake. If you question policies and procedures (for valid reasons, like they go against a moral code or there might be a better way to do something) be prepared to be silenced.

Policies are not standard, supervisors will let one employee get away with something, but will not allow these practices for another employee.
    You are expected to work ALL the time, most likely you will get a laptop on day one or your email will be linked to your phone.

Advice to Management

I think it is time to clean house with regards to the departmental management, much like what was done with a lot of executive management/directors. There is a reason why some departments have such HIGH turnover rates--the management. Your first 6 months of employment will be fine, until you start discovering all of the dirty laundry in your department. Then you'll want out.

8. "Patient Escort"

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

Health insurance is the best.

Cons

Extremely low pay considering the physical work that's performed.

9. "Dont do it"

Former Employee - Physical Therapist
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1.knowledgeable therapists
    2. Driven therapists
    3. Great benefits package

Cons

1. management does not take time to understand the clinical needs of staff
    2. Management all have business type degrees but could not help you in anything clinical
    3. You are on your own clinically
    4 orientation is not organized
    5. Too many demands on clinicians , on top of the patient care productivity, no upward climbing for clinicians. To be advanced to a higher position one must have a business degree

Advice to Management

You have a great core of people, you are losing some of the best people who I have ever worked with. Director and Human resources needs to get an understanding of the current climate in therapy. No real inroads in clinical aspects of providing care.

"Falls shot."

Current Employee - Post Doctoral Fellow
    Current Employee - Post Doctoral Fellow

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of resources and a great support staff to assist you in everything you need.

Cons

Parking. Depending on who you call boss, things may not be great. This is expected for a postdoctoral position. You can become isolated.

Showing 99 of 1,057 reviews