MD Anderson Cancer Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
MD Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho
Ronald A. DePinho

Cons

1. "Amazing patients, terrible management."

Former Employee - Secretary in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Secretary in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I volunteered in the pediatrics and the patients themselves made me stay for 13 years.

Cons

Your HR rep that was in charge of my department was extremely clueless. So she would talk down to you and then tell your boss. It was supposed to be confidential, which I figured that out quickly. Major cliques, tattle telling and around 80% of the administrators were never at their desk, but at someone else's desk gossiping or complaining about a coworker. Office politics is a big problem throughout the whole institution..

Advice to Management

Treat your employees equally, micro management slows down the workload we have and when they decide to get rid of you, they don't write you up, they just let you go without explaining the reason for the hasty departure.

2. "Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

MD Anderson has great benefits package

Cons

Now work life balance. Too many politics

Advice to Management

Management do not have the skills

"The good, the bad, and my version of the truth"

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, you cannot beat the benefits including the accumulation of vacation time, the ways to save for retirement and excellent medical benefits. They lovingly call these benefits "velvet handcuffs". They highly encourage work life balance, which also leads them to never get anything done on time or within a reasonable amount of time.

Cons

This organization is completely fragmented, there is immeasurable waste and because departments are allowed autonomy there is lack of cohesion on rules and expectations. This place is famous for the MDA Runaround not only with employees but patients as well. Many depts have poor morale and honesty and creativity are not encouraged. Too much office politics. If those employees and dept admins put half the effort into making better decisions for the company to streamline budgets, do away with outdated software, fully utilize the complete capacity of all hardware and software equipment/programs, the company would gain productivity.

Advice to Management

There is a serious case of lazy govt workers. Employees spend more time watching other employees and reporting on them when if they focused on themselves/work, they would greatly increase productivity. Employees cant get out of their seat fast enough at the end of the shift. It is laziness on the Dept Admins to depend on employees to micromanage each other and report back to the DA, it lowers morale, it increases stress, it lowers productivity and increases distrust of the team in general. It would also be helpful if Dan Fontaine didnt openly (at a clinical meeting) put down those that were recently laid off, openly acknowledging that it was a cleaning house of the bad ones and not really according some HR procedures. The admin side of the hospital definitely isnt using their hardware/software to their complete capabilities. Streamlining and creativity are thwarted by these insane levels of approval so as no to "step on toes". There is so much room for improvement.

5. "Best patients in the world"

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best patients to ever serve!

Cons

worst morale, poor upper management

6. "Unrealized potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Excellent office facilities. Noble mission. Good compensation. Friendly co-workers. Lots of good, honest work to be done here.

Cons

Poor hiring practices, especially for management positions. Some managers and directors are abusive of their staff and do not know how to manage people or projects. Chronic understaffing in certain areas, especially in the IS division. Upper management in complete chaos.

Advice to Management

Try to better understand the portfolio of services that you are trying to manage. Recruit and then retain high quality staff. Provide extra scrutiny for people hired into manager (and above) positions.

7. "Diagnostic Imaging Coordinator"

Former Employee - Diagnostic Imaging Coordinator
    Former Employee - Diagnostic Imaging Coordinator

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health coverage and making cancer history is a plus

Cons

No room for growth and leadership not knowledgeable

Advice to Management

None.

8. "Good for benefits but entirely too stressful."

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. As a state institution follows state holiday schedule.

Cons

Understaffed, overworked, under paid. Staff is exceedingly rude to fellow staff members. The whole "caring" part of the "Caring...Integrity...Discovery" of the core values is virtually non-existent to employees.

Advice to Management

Get out of your ivory towers, push up your sleeves and actually do the work you expect us to do with the minimal staffing and equipment we have to deal with.

"Leadership Ran Company Into Ground"

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Patients. Learning about cancer and all the new things they are doing to cure it

Cons

Layoffs. Clock- in down to the exact minute required and watched now that we are in crisis. We get in trouble if we clock- in online 1 minute early and you can get fired. It doesn't matter if your parking garage is a ten minute walk then you walk in the building is 5 minutes. Even if your peers park in a garage 1 minute away, they still dont care you are spending more time at work. The benefits aren't that good and we have to pay 7% of our paycheck towards retirement fund that we don't even get unless we work here 5 years.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the times. Your benefits are terrible since we have to pay 7%. Be grateful that we are working our tails off saving the company from the disaster you put us in...especially when yelling at us for being 1 minute late after a 20 minute walk. That is ridiculous.

"CTRC LAB"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Helping and encouraging the patients.

Cons

Management- Passion Lockett, Jawana Phillips are the worst managers ever! Unprofessional rude messy and spread lies among the lab technicians.No regular lunch breaks.Improper processing of samples are allowed and well known about. OSHA and JCHAO violations in all areas.

Advice to Management

Get a whole new management team.

"Researcher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonably good benefits, strong scientific environment

Cons

No opportunity for advancement, Houston is a very difficult city in which to live and commute, recent layoffs and rumors of additional layoffs