MD Anderson Cancer Center Reviews | Glassdoor

MD Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho
Ronald A. DePinho

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "July 2017 impressions of 1st year instructor (research)"

Current Employee - Research Scientist/Instructor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Research Scientist/Instructor in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are doing great work, and there is a push towards improving issues with upper level administration (search for new president, attempts to get feedback from all employees in the process of making adjustments to how the organization is governed, etc.). Benefits are OK. (Note--I see De Pinho is still listed as CEO, but he's been gone for months now.)

Cons

I'd give 2.5 stars overall, if I could. I can only speak for the "instructor" (non-tenure track research "faculty") position, which in reality is just a post-post-doc. Because this is not a tenure track position, opportunities for obtaining funding and advancing are limited. As with most academic positions, any real advancement in terms of salary, title, etc. can be painfully slow. (Of course, this may vary by dept.) Salary is too low for the level of education/experience, and given recent budget issues, I have to wonder if it will improve much anytime soon. I joined because I really wanted to work on a specific project, but honestly, I am having doubts about staying.

Advice to Management

Keep working towards improving the situation with governance of the organization. While patient care and clinical research are absolutely critical, don't let dept. heads become dismissive of basic research! Work on truly making lower level faculty positions attractive jobs, even the non-tenure track ones. Right now, the RFA instructor position is very limited in terms of opportunities to obtain funding (internally or externally)--it's like a dead end as opposed to something you can advance in. There's a lot of unused lab space where I am--either consolidate or get more independent researchers in there (i.e, bring more people in as assistant professors). I would also say make the research associate/senior scientist type positions more available and attractive. Those of us who spent ~8-10 years as grad as grad students and postdocs need to be able to catch up somehow. As Houston's biotech/pharma scene grows, you will end up missing out on/losing good people to companies if some changes aren't made to keep salaries, etc. more competitive.

2. "Lots of potential, but never materialized"

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

great benefits, excellent mentors, food options, potential for learning

Cons

Lots of hoops to jump through to get anything approved. Epic is a failure. management (De Pinho) ruined a good company

Advice to Management

good luck cleaning up De Pinho's mess

3. "Needs work, but it's getting there"

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

The hospital is very much patient-centric, as it should be! Great doctors, great services/resources, many benefits and activities for the patient and their families to be as comfortable and knowledgeable as possible.

For employees, benefits are great and lots of continuing education.

Cons

Upper management needs work. We lose many GREAT employees due to management (whether leaders are too laid back and never know what's going on or they're too high strung, they don't trust their team).

Middle management, in personal experience, is fine and as a positive, there are many trainings for managers and supervisors! It's more the doctors/investigators - whom we all work for to allow things to run smoothly. Not sure what it is about doctors - bedside manners may be there but actually managing a team is not their forte and that is where the gap lies. Doctors will make excuses they don't have time for management/team training but it is essential they carve out time.

4. "Operations"

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

Great Benefits and pay is good

Cons

No promotions for most people

5. "Nepotism and Political"

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are state benefits. There are options to move around, if opportunities are available. Lots of activities and promotions.

Cons

The nursing departments are political and they only promote friends. The pay is mediocore for employees that have been there, but they pay much higher salaries to people that come from other facilities. if you work inpatient, you miss out on things such as the fitness center, etc. that other workers benefit from.

Advice to Management

I would definitely look into the management and higher positions and their practices. They are not consistent and I have experienced racism and ageism at it's finest. Salaries are not consistent and equal to the work accomplished compared to others that do far less and receive much higher merit raises.

6. "Research Data Coordinator"

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

It's what you make of it.

Cons

Lot's of politics, hard to obtain career advancements

"Lacks Job Security"

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

Very supportive Principal Investigator, and the insurance is AMAZING.

Cons

Previous president created an environment of uncertainty because of large money loss, eventually leading to large amount of lay offs.

Advice to Management

Increased communication may help build morale

8. "Registered nurse"

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

Good benefits, health insurance etc

Cons

heavy workload, unsupportive staff, unsupportive management

Advice to Management

give some care to the RNs.

"Exploring carrer opportunities outside my current institution"

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

clinical experience, resources, mission, good benefits

Cons

Cronyism, nepotism lack of career growth opportunities, politics, too much work

10. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Institute Associate Scientist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Institute Associate Scientist in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefit. Good life-work balance. Exposure to educational staff.

Cons

Parking is a big issue.