MD Anderson Cancer Center Reviews | Glassdoor

MD Anderson Cancer Center Reviews

Updated February 23, 2017

Cons

1. "Amazing place for research and cancer treatment, but change is hard to come by."

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work because of amazing research and world class minds of the faculty. This place is a great place to come and collaborate as you will find many people with similar interests.

Cons

There is so much red tape, everything moves slowly and a lot of push back. It is such a large institute that change is hard.

2. "Top Heavy"

Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits and Work/Life Balance

Cons

Very Top Heavy in Management

3. "Medical technologist"

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Houston, TX

Pros

Good place to work at

Cons

Parking is a rip off as well as other stuff

5. "great benefits"

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

The benefits at MDACC are fantastic. Pension plan is great. Paid healthcare is great. Great gym and gym classes, day and evening.

Cons

Unfortunately the pay at MDACC is low. I guess because they are considered a nonprofit. I really think they should increase the pay as to attract the best employees.

6. "Research Assistant I"

Current Employee - Research Assistant I in Smithville, TX
    Current Employee - Research Assistant I in Smithville, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very nice and helpful. Plenty of resources to work with. Staff really attempts to unify its employees.

Cons

"Classified Employee" positions required you to clock in and out as if it were a salaried job. Very irritating. Salary was not very impressive for the #1 cancer institution in the world.

7. "Was a good place to work until recent administrative changes"

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

Great quality of research and good training programs.... Located in a not so expensive neighborhood.

Cons

The recent administrative changes is effecting the quality of research and the way various departments are run

8. "Physical Therapy Rehabilitation Technician"

Pros

The patients and medical benefits

Cons

Pay, Management, and Unethical business practices

"Contract Business Job"

Current Contractor - Business Contractor in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Business Contractor in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The work-life balance is great most of the time, and compensation is very good. My boss is very easy to work with, but expects a lot. I work in one of the business departments- not a medical occupation.

Cons

I was told the position was contract-to-hire when I started, but after many months of waiting, it still hasn't happened. From what I have heard it's almost impossible to move from contract to full-time employee. I get no benefits and have to do a lot of extra work to file taxes as "self employed". (I also can't quality for a home loan working as a contractor).

The atmosphere is highly political, making it hard to get ahead by doing the best work. Very little security working contract- I've seen more than one person disappear for no apparent reason.

Advice to Management

Try to be more considerate of your contract workers and vendors. It is soul crushing to be promised something over and over, and never see it happen.

10. "Sr. Administrative Assistant"

Pros

Great retiring benefits after working for ten years

Cons

Does not pay enough for the work you do

"Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator
    Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best benefits hands down. There are long term perks to working at the company that you'll benefit from even after you retire. Depending on the field of work you are in, this is a place for great networking opportunities. Due to MDACC being a research/teaching institution, there are many educational opportunities.

Cons

Unless you are a nurse, PA, or upper level management, the pay is not where is should be. You will most likely find yourself doing more than your job requires with little to no compensation for it. It is extremely hard to move around. Department Managers have a strong influence in employees being able to leave their department. There is no work life balance.

Advice to Management

Truly listen to your employees. Take the time to understand their job what it takes to get it done. Make sure that they have all the necessary training to do their job and follow up with you employees to make sure they have the tools they need to succeed. (I've been here a little over 5yrs and held 2 positions. I've faced the same issues with management in both positions).