MDA Corporation Reviews in Brampton, ON | Glassdoor

3.6
Howard Lance

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Really low pay, below industry standards (in 6 reviews)

• One of the most incompetent senior management team I have experienced in my career (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at MDA Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Salaries are good if you are willing to do a lot of overtime. There are a lot of cool space projects. You can see one of its projects on the Canadian $5 bill. You also meet a lot of smart engineers and good managers.

Cons

Base salaries are below average. Like any big companies, you see a lot of office politics.

2. "satisfactory experience for my internship"

Current Intern - Electrical Engineer in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Intern - Electrical Engineer in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MDA Corporation as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

reasonable hours, collaborative environment, nice coleagues, good work life balance, good benefits, stable market of the product

Cons

not enough variety of projects (at least during my time of stay), things tend to move a bit slow, it's a stable place but doesn't feel too exciting

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at MDA Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Brampton location. Great working environment. Teamwork and cooperation. Robotic programs in space, medical and mining industries.

Cons

Brampton location. Too many managers. Branch is winding down. Medical and mining not competitive enough. Space programs depend of government investments.

Advice to Management

Improve communication with the base. Employees would prefer to hear bad news in person than during investors's meetings.

4. "Great experience working at MDA."

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at MDA Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Interesting Work.

Cons

Work is rather slow due to the nature of aerospace design compare to the commercial industry.

"Idiotic Management, Fearful Executives, Great People on the Ground"

Current Employee - Engineer in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MDA Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- The people are great for the most part, with a ton of very friendly and very helpful peers to draw on for knowledge. Skill of employees is variable, but there are at least a few highly skilled people in each discipline to ensure project success.
    - Occasionally there are amazing projects to work on, though these are becoming rare.
    - I've learned so much working here, and have been very lucky with what I've worked on and who I've worked with.
    - I have a lot of cons below, mostly because I care and wish things were back to the old days of dynamism, can-do attitudes. It could come back, but a lot will have to change first.

Cons

- Senior management and executives are fearful of competition in commercial space endeavours, despite having been far in the lead world-wide in relevant technologies. That lead has eroded, and management prefers that we assume the usual role as a sub-contractor for hire.

- Gross inefficiency is everywhere and sometimes even encouraged. This lowers morale and further lowers efficiency.

- Dead wood is kept around. Some staff have severely atrophied skills, and many people are wholly bought-in to out-dated processes and baggage from old programs, or are incapable of making a decision.

- Potential customers are sometimes turned off by our high price. Overheads are high.

- Careers are stagnating both in technical staff and management. Result is a lot of cruft clogging up the advancement chain, little fiefdoms in line management and above, and ultimately poor program performance.

- Canada's gov't is incapable of making a commitment to space programs without the US first leading the way, so there have not been (m)any real new flight programs in Brampton in several years. A decade of prototypes gets old after a while, and as mentioned, management is unwilling to take matters into their own hands on the commercial side.

- There is an overt adversarial relationship between HR and technical staff. I was amazed at this when I joined, assuming HR is supposed to be on the employees' side and that employees would negotiate with management. Not the case.

- Others have mentioned the pay situation. Yeah it's lower than industry averages by a considerable margin, and yeah that's a stated part of the company's business plan because they know that few space opportunities exist in Canada. Historically, attrition has been right where they wanted it. But good people are leaving regularly now and morale is pretty low.

Advice to Management

Take risks. We need to, at this point. Invest in internal R&D or there will be no future of innovation at MDA. We can still compete if you allow real change. Stop shuffling the chairs. Yearly re-organization is not helpful unless you allow for corporate and cultural change in parallel with it.

6. "Pleasant co-workers, but some conflicts between engineers and upper management"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at MDA Corporation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great working environment
    - Interesting projects (such as the Canadarm, Canadarm II, autonomous space robotics)
    - Pretty nice office

Cons

When I was working there (as an intern), the engineers went on a "strike" due to relatively low pay (although for an intern, I believe the pay was reasonable - I'm not too sure what the full time pay was like). Engineers are not unionized, so technically it was not a strike, rather a walk out. This lasted for about 2 months. This demonstrates there is some tension between regular engineering employees and upper management.

Advice to Management

Please don't treat employees like disposable resources

"Unique but somewhat unsatisfying"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Brampton, ON (Canada)

Pros

Unique domain, relatively flexible working environment, great co-workers

Cons

limited career growth, lack of respect from senior management, poor / unclear corporate strategy

Advice to Management

Improve soft-skills and appreciate value of human capital

8. "MDA Space Missions"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Brampton, ON (Canada)

Pros

The work can be very interesting. In general, the staff is well educated, very competent, and easy to work with. It's a relatively relaxed work environment. There can be many opportunities to learn some very unique skills. There can be a very engaging social atmosphere.

Cons

The work load can be cyclical, with occasional down-times between major programs. The quality of the work assignments can be very dependent on which department you work in. The technical staff is part of a collective bargaining unit. The pay is a bit below standard.

Advice to Management

Business development efforts and the focus on R&D have occasionally been misdirected in the past, leading to lost opportunities. The current effort to develop a commercial oriented business model is positive, but should also be linked to evolving developments in International exploration.