MDA Information Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Herbert F. Satterlee

1. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ypsilanti, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ypsilanti, MI

I have been working at MDA Information Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting and challenging work. Everyone is friendly and very low stress. Nice that it is a smaller company where I can get things done without having to go through layers of management. Work/life balance is great..generous and flexible schedule.

Cons

None so far.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Review"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ypsilanti, MI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at MDA Information Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work-life balance
    Very independent work style - you are left alone to get your tasks done.

Cons

Independence can be a pro and a con. If you need help on something, it can be VERY difficult to get it. Also, if you are extraverted (an extraverted programmer!?), it can be difficult to get human interaction with everyone in their own offices.
    Compensation is just average.
    Working in the defense industry means that you are often working in very restricted environments.

Advice to Management

I think they're understaffed right now, which is a lot of the reason, but there is no clear way to develop your career, and career progression is very opaque.

Whether or not I'm doing a good job isn't always clear until the end of year reviews, and by then it will take you a whole year to potentially get a raise.

"MDA Weather Services Review"

Former Employee - Energy Accounts Associate in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Energy Accounts Associate in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

--Great working environment
    --Friendly and engaging staff
    --Good resources at hand (at least recently)
    --Opportunities to develop certain skills and grow as a professional
    --Decent benefits, 401K plan, vacation
    --Very little in the way of micromanaging

Overall, I had a good experience with the weather group of MDA. The staff is great and all work very well together. I owe a lot to my direct supervisors who helped me learn the industry and discover new talents in my client management/sales role.

Cons

--Under corporate so a lot of unnecessary process, especially for the weather group, making things move much slower
    --Minimal raises, no bonuses
    --Some but not much opportunity for advancement
    --Upper management shows little knowledge and understanding of the business model of the weather group or of its employees

Overall, I wouldn't say I was discontent working with MDA Weather as there were a lot of things I enjoyed in being here but I wouldn't exactly say I was content either due to the items listed above. The negatives in no way reflect upon the weather group but rather MDA as a whole. For me, it was a good starting point for my career but I did not see myself advancing at MDA at any point in the near future.

Advice to Management

To my direct managers: Keep doing what you are doing. Even with leaving, you have shown how much you have appreciated my work and how much you value me as an employee. I appreciate you teaching me about client management, sales and the industry and providing me with the resources to succeed in a new and unfamiliar role. You all did what you could and I understand that.

To upper management: Take more time to get to know your employees, especially in the weather group, and what they do to help the company succeed. I feel that there was not enough effort here and while I did feel valued by my direct supervisors, I did not feel as valued by the company as a whole. This was something that did play a role in my departure.

5. "Overall good place!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at MDA Information Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

MDA is a growing company. There's always something new to learn about and if you can learn new things there's potential for personal growth. The company started small and has grown quite a bit since I've been here but has still managed to keep much of the smaller company feel.

Cons

As with any place, there are some people who aren't too friendly and some of those people are kind of high up. Also, depending on what's important to make you feel "appreciated", there isn't a lot of things done around here - depending on which department you're in.

6. "IT Delivery Manager"

Current Employee - IT Delivery Manager in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - IT Delivery Manager in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at MDA Information Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting technology to work with

Cons

Not a lot of upper management opportunity

7. "A company that cares about its people, a rarity in the contracting world"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at MDA Information Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management truly cares about its people, CEO and CTO make an active effort to lean employee names and interests. Very supportive of training and career development. Make every effort to keep contract staff employed with production work when between contracts. Nice office space. Pioneers in the geospatial world, foster innovation with IR&D efforts.

Cons

Gaithersburg is far if working at HQs.

"Decent Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at MDA Information Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Mostly good people to work with. Good location in suburban Washington. High internal work standards. Competitive benefits. Top level management is genuine and fair.

Cons

Upper level management losing touch with the common employee. Not the most competitive salaries. Low starting salaries. Not convenient for public transportation.

"Creative and/or independent minded people avoid at all costs."

Former Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at MDA Information Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some excellent personalities in the mix. People passionate about work. Swanky Christmas parties after big contracts years.

Solid pay for someone starting out. Opportunities for overtime. Contract work. Good benefits package, employer -sponsored 401k.

Cons

Extreme top-down, classic vertically-integrated corporation with very little appreciation for new ideas from fresh hires, even if industry professionals.

Often go through massive layoffs. Even of employees that have been there for many years.
    Employee dissatisfaction is very high amongst entry and mid-level employees. This place is a production warehouse. Very high turnover as a result.

Extremely boring and mundane office culture. Lots of secret keeping and closed doors. No transparency.

Company is focused solely on profit to the point of creating company-wide initiatives to gain more profit (with no direct benefit to the workers, EG bonuses, raises). Very little focus on employee happiness or contentedness.

Senior management is run like a good 'ole boys club.

As far as personal growth within this company, do not expect any unless you make it very clear you are ready for the next big thing. If you are not assertive, you will not be recognized.

Advice to Management

Mid-level management was solid when I was there. Good people dedicated to their teams and their work. Empower staff to be the best, even if the culture is stifling.

Upper level is awful. They need more transparency. It's a bunch of middle-late-aged white men running around in suits that are not open to new ideas from anyone junior. It's stuffy and formal. No push for creativity or open-mindedness. Extremely bland and boring place to work, which is reinforced by the money hungry men at the top.

"Small company with family feel."

Former Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at MDA Information Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tight-knit company with under 200 employees. Relaxed office environment. Staff and upper management care about employees. Good benefits.

Cons

Because small company, probably less opportunity for growth and diversification. Compensation possibly not as good as other companies.

"Good place to start and then leave"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at MDA Information Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chance to work on lots of different projects. Relaxed atmosphere. When I had to leave work for a family emergency there was no question about me leaving, only if everyone was okay when I got back.

Cons

Upper management doesn't trust anyone. There are no real raises or promotions, just occasional reshuffling. They say straight out the only way to get a raise is to bring them an offer from another company. Otherwise, no way. They pay below standard for the industry.

Advice to Management

Employee loyalty is worth paying for.