MDRC "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

MDRC Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 23 Sep 2018

3.7
MDRC CEO Virginia Knox
Virginia Knox
Pros
  • "Great work-life balance (for non-exempt staff at least)(in 8 reviews)

• "Very smart people who are thoughtful and have nuanced understanding of the systems we're operating within(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance could be better; work pace not steady - periods of high and low intensity(in 4 reviews)

• "A little top-heavy (lots of senior people, not so many junior staff)(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Nice Place to Work"

I have been working at MDRC full-time

Pros

Learning opportunities; great health insurance; up 20 days vacation plus holidays and sick days

MDRC2017-11-18
  2. "Good for 2 years as a starting point, unless you have a PhD. Otherwise, more or less, you will be stuck in a career rut"

I worked at MDRC

Pros

Many smart people. Good training in SAS programming.

Cons

Elitist, stressful work environment that is also ridden with drama. Poor work-life balance. Horrible pay, long hours (constantly working on 3-5 different projects). Non-Associates (non PhD's)are treated poorly, although favoritism prevails for certain employees. Horrible promotion and learning opportunities (after initial training). At least a third of the work week is spent in meetings, where people talk in... circles about the same.

Advice to Management

Complete overhaul of management strategy. Provide actual training in management to managers, as company is mismanaged from top to bottom. Having a master's or a PhD does not a manager make. Employees have to report on a weekly basis to 5 people, in the least, about their weekly tasks/progress.

MDRC2018-09-23

"Comfortable, Lacking Efficiency"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at MDRC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very smart people who are thoughtful and have nuanced understanding of the systems we're operating within. Great work life balance. Lots of time off, flexible working arrangements, excellent benefits. Enjoy project-based work and the opportunity to interact with different systems, populations, and research methodologies. Highly ethical, rigorous, and considerate team members.

Cons

Sink or swim form of management., and there tends to be a lot of managing up. I do not feel that the org prioritizes my career development, because they're mainly focused on filling project needs. Organizational change is like turning the titanic. Change management practices are almost nonexistent, upper management do not seem to challenge themselves to stay technologically relevant or efficient in work... processes, and leadership do not seem to take managerial responsibility for improving the performance of poorly functioning departments. Policy relevance has room for improvement. There is a disconnect between the knowledge we as an organization generate and our ability to make it relevant in the ideologically driven world we live in. We could be better at the storytelling aspect of this work to connect the evidence to the mission of ending poverty. There can be a disconnect between MDRC's culture and the communities we work with. Staff need to be trained to be culturally sensitive and partnership-driven in our work with social service providers. There is a lack of diversity within our senior staff; we don't always practice what we preach when it comes to building pathways to opportunity. Too many meeting. Business is conducted in a very "old school" manner. Efficiency is laughable.

Advice to Management

Bring in upper management who are great managers, rather than great researchers. Build better pathways to career growth and focus on keeping your existing staff flourishing and challenged, rather than focusing on immediate needs. Keep pushing towards a more diverse, inclusive and partnership-driven culture. Focus on rewarding performance rather than "paying dues" as a way to grow.

MDRC2018-05-31
  4. "Research Assistant"

I worked at MDRC full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance (for non-exempt staff at least) Smart coworkers who are fun to work with

Cons

Hierarchical Hard to advance A little top-heavy (lots of senior people, not so many junior staff)

MDRC2017-10-08
  5. "A great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at MDRC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

MDRC spends a great deal of resources to develop their staff and offer opportunities for you to move up within the ranks. The benefits and work-life balance are great and you work with smart and creative people.

Cons

I can't think of a lot of cons, which might explain why I have stayed with this company for so long. They rarely hire for senior position. Most are filled by staff moving up from within.

Advice to Management

MDRC is approaching a crossroad with a lot of very senior people about to retire. It will be interesting to see how you will handle the shift in management.

MDRC2016-10-12

"Room for Improvement"

Former Employee - Research Analyst I in New York, NY

I worked at MDRC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great training offered for technical staff. Flexibility in work schedule and a decent work life balance. If you work with the right people, it's a great environment to grow and learn!

Cons

There is little room for career advancement for more junior staff. Creativity is often discouraged, many senior level staff want things done a certain way because "that's how it's always been done." It's rare to have technical opportunities outside of SAS. The performance review and career advancement processes are not consistent or transparent.

Advice to Management

Consider changing the structure of the organization, there are too many inefficiency that could easily be resolved by doing so (ex: tech staff work as internal consultants organization wide). Make retention of younger staff a priority. Choose managers that can actually manage, not those with the most prestigious degrees. Consider revising and adding clarity to the performance review and career advancement processes.... If funding gets cut, make staff aware, don't sweep it under the carpet!

MDRC2016-05-26
  7. "N/A"

N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at MDRC for more than a year

Pros

Work Life Balance and Benefits Plan.

Cons

Performance Management Policy and Salary Grade.

Advice to Management

Coming up with a better performance rating system.

MDRC2016-03-30

"Promotion system deeply flawed"

I have been working at MDRC

Pros

Good training and support for technical research staff. Good work/life balance. Flexibility in schedule and working from home/remotely.

Cons

The major flaw here is promotion and growth opportunities, but it completely depends on which policy area and subdivision you are in. There seems to be no oversight across the company regarding the promotions process. When looking at the company as a whole there seems to be no rhyme or reason to why some people get promoted and others don't. It often appears to require stroking the right person's ego. Again,... depending on the policy area and seemingly random circumstance, you may need to fight for scraps of responsibility to earn a meager raise/promotion to a position you are already overqualified for.

Advice to Management

Develop company-wide guidelines regarding promotions. Have some oversight to ensure promotions are fair and that they are actually based on merit and a person's potential.

MDRC2016-02-12
  9. "Great work/life balance"

I have been working at MDRC

Pros

top of their field research organization that offers great benefits, paid time off, and supports a very strong work-life balance.

Cons

the pathway to advance at this company can be slow and cumbersome, which can be particularly challenging as a young person paving the way for a career.

Advice to Management

for advice, see the pros and cons! continue to develop the pros, and work to dismantle the issues creating the cons.

MDRC2015-01-13

"Research Associate"

I have been working at MDRC

Pros

Interesting work, good benefits, and great people. The people I work with are smart and dedicated employees. There are very few duds! Also, work environment is flexible and supervisors are generally supportive.

Cons

Work/life balance can be non-existent. Hours can be long and teams are under staffed. I see lots of over-worked staff and get emails well after midnight and in the early mornings.

Advice to Management

MDRC is a thoughtful organization with great goals and great people. Many of us know we can work elsewhere and can get paid more, but stay for the mission. We are understaffed, underpaid, and I see several people around me approaching burn out. Please hire more staff, adjust the scope of project work, and/or give higher raises! We work hard, are dedicated, and produce great work. Please compensate accordingly.

MDRC2014-11-06