MEC Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
MEC CEO Tim Castree
Tim Castree

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home up to 2 days a week and great flexibility around work life balance" (in 19 reviews)

• "MEC has great people and a clear vision for the future" (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Awful work life balance - there is none" (in 30 reviews)

• "Pressure to answer to your clients and sometimes long hours" (in 30 reviews)

1. "Finance manager"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY

I worked at MEC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well run place with systems that work

Cons

Not a lot of upward mobility

2. "Media Planner"

Current Employee - Digital Media Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Media Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MEC (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of different industry exposure! It’s a great first step into media if you want to really understand the foundation of everything that goes into a media mix.

Cons

Salary is not the best, but there will be plenty of overtime available. Expect late nights and having to rework presentations at the last minute.

Advice to Management

Somewhat engaging, it’s a little tricky to navigate. You have to speak up to get recognized.

3. "Managing Partner"

Former Employee - Managing Partner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Partner in New York, NY

I worked at MEC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very intelligent people. Strong work ethic. Respectful culture.

Cons

C-suite management is strong, but sometimes tone def to employee needs. Staffing is often under what is needed to do the best job for clients.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with the day-to-day employees and help to empower them. Right size staffing to the actual work load.

4. "Lots of Learning, No team"

Former Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at MEC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned a ton
    Variety of client
    Knowledgeable Individuals

Cons

Poor Team structure
    You never feel like part of the company

Nov 15, 2017 – Global Project Manager, People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to respond. We are happy to know that you learned a great deal during your time here- we ceratinly know that the massive exposure across many disciplines allow our... More

5. "Don't expect a clear career path"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at MEC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MEC belongs to one of the largest communication groups with big clients from many different industries. You will have the opportunity to achieve and share knowledge within the network and client’s portfolio.

Cons

The office has changed drastically in the last year, this was in part due to poor leadership that has affected staff morale as well as client relationships. There have been constant changes on the teams with no clear strategy behind the teams who are being replaced/shifted around to other accounts. This has created an environment of uncertainty that has been exposed to all the stakeholders, staff, clients and media industry in general.

Advice to Management

Within the last year the change in the office has been mostly due to poor leadership, who were making decisions mostly on personal bias. Advice for the future would be to truly Invest in people and culture, and count on higher management to have a plan and encourage the growth for their day to day team members.

"Integrated Associate"

Former Employee - Integrated Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Integrated Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MEC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MEC has a wonderful company culture that fosters creativity and allows for all opinions to be heard no matter how junior or senior the employee.

Cons

The hours are typically very strenuous depending on the client, and with extremely high rent in San Francisco, it is often times difficult to sustain a comfortable lifestyle with the pay compensation.

Advice to Management

From a hiring perspective, make it clear that this is not your typical 9-5 job, and that hours can fluctuate severely depending on the client, time of year and the employee's position at the company.

May 24, 2017 – Global Project Manager, People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to respond. We are so glad that you are enjoying our creative and collaborative environment. We recognize that work/life balance is an issue across our industry and we... More

"Analytics Team Debacle"

Former Employee - Analytics in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analytics in New York, NY

I worked at MEC (More than 3 years)

Pros

At a time when MEC had a lot of different accounts, there were some really great analytics folks who worked there. Several, but not all, of the analysts, managers and ADs worked hard to ensure that things were delivered on time, that the account teams had analytics representation present in meetings and generally for the most part, all got along. Most of the ADs and below struggled to make the most out of a bad situation. And boy did the analytics team have a bad situation.

Cons

This is for when MEC actually had a good deal of clients. It's probably not very relevant anymore:
    - Directors and up were so in love with their titles and made sure to throw that around so that you knew you were talking to a Director, Sr Partner.
    - Sweeping sexism under the rug hoping that no one cleans it up. Inappropriate comments made and HR turns a blind eye.
    - Ageist comments made on a regular basis by Directors and up. ADs, Managers and Analysts being treated like children.
    - Managing Partners making veiled threats to subordinates to get them to agree to what they want.
    - Clueless senior management who have absolutely nothing of value to offer...and yet are still employed. What??
    - Pay is under the market rate. Be prepared to hear, "we don't give bonuses here" (except to senior executives who do what again??)

Advice to Management

I would say get rid of the bad apples but then who else would be left on the team.

8. "Great place to start in media"

Current Employee - Senior Planning Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Planning Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at MEC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MEC is a great place to learn the ins and outs of the media industry and the people are really supportive in your success.

Cons

There can be late nights and depending on the client, there is not always recognition for the hard work that is put into fulfilling tasks.

Apr 5, 2017 – Global Project Manager, People and Culture

Thank you for your response. We agree that MEC is an ideal place to grow one's career and to be immersed in all things media from the ground up. We wish you continued success!

9. "Media Planning Associate"

Former Employee - Media Planning Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Media Planning Associate in New York, NY

I worked at MEC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work culture!! Very open, supportive, and friendly

Cons

Getting a creative idea approved is a bit challenging

Apr 5, 2017 – Global Project Manager, People and Culture

Thank you for responding. Our deeply collaborative culture is rooted in the people and teams that support and encourage one another as you referenced. We will continue to focus on this culture... More

"Used to be great once...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MEC full-time

Pros

Generally good natured people working there. Used to have senior management that cared and built morale among teams. Accessibility to CEO (or at least felt that way) but she's now leaving.

Cons

People who play the right cards and kiss the right senior management butt get ahead over those that work hard and deserve it. Morale is low due to them constantly losing accounts or pushed to work on accounts they don't want to. Very little connection/communication within GroupM network.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people that work there and listen to what they've got to say. Often those with the most honest opinions aren't the ones who try to make it seem like they are perfect.

Mar 23, 2017 – Global Project Manager, People and Culture

Thank you for your feedback. MEC has long been known as a place where great people come to do great work. As with any notable organization, the vibrant leaders we work with, and have worked with... More