MEC Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
MEC CEO Tim Castree
Tim Castree

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home up to 2 days a week and great flexibility around work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• MEC has great people and a clear vision for the future (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Awful work life balance - there is none (in 28 reviews)

• Pressure to answer to your clients and sometimes long hours (in 29 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting times ahead!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MEC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the smartest people i've ever worked with and great clients. But what makes MEC great is its unique culture, it's difficult to put your finger on exactly what it is that makes the culture tick, whether its people coming together to solve particular problems or just a good old knees up at the summer party. Excited to see what fresh opportunities the merger is going to bring!

Cons

Used to be communication but that seems to have turned a corner recently

Advice to Management

keep talking!

Jul 7, 2017 – Global Project Manager, People and Culture

Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to know that you are enjoying your time at MEC and the fantastic individuals that surround you. We are very excited about what the future holds and the... More

2. "Love MEC"

I have been working at MEC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, great culture and people.

Cons

Can't think of any actually

"Joke"

I have been working at MEC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Used to be a great place to work - have previously rated them a 4 on here.
    I stay because of the people, but then again, most people are leaving now.

Cons

Long hours, no social life. I know of at least 10 promoted people that haven't had a pay-rise with their promotion. From what I understand this is the new norm at MEC. More work, unscrupulous hours, no progression, minimal pay.

4. "Senior Management"

I have been working at MEC full-time

Pros

Employee Owed Company provides a good benefit.

Cons

Senior Management only focused on one plant, lack visibility at remote plants.

5. "Integrated Associate"

Former Employee - Integrated Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Integrated Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MEC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MEC has a wonderful company culture that fosters creativity and allows for all opinions to be heard no matter how junior or senior the employee.

Cons

The hours are typically very strenuous depending on the client, and with extremely high rent in San Francisco, it is often times difficult to sustain a comfortable lifestyle with the pay compensation.

Advice to Management

From a hiring perspective, make it clear that this is not your typical 9-5 job, and that hours can fluctuate severely depending on the client, time of year and the employee's position at the company.

May 24, 2017 – Global Project Manager, People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to respond. We are so glad that you are enjoying our creative and collaborative environment. We recognize that work/life balance is an issue across our industry and we... More

"Great place for a year or 2"

I worked at MEC full-time

Pros

Excellent learning environment, great for a first time job and getting a better understanding of the media world.

Cons

Did not get the feeling that employees were appreciated. Pay was basically the same for all, no matter what the demands of the different accounts entailed, which felt very unfair.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees sometimes

Jun 13, 2017 – Global Project Manager, People and Culture

It’s really great to hear that you enjoy the office environment and some of the cultural perks that we offer. We appreciate that the hours can fluctuate that is why we have a smarter working policy... More

"Senior Associate"

I worked at MEC full-time

Pros

fun team with a teamwork environment

Cons

promotions were hard to come by

"Analytics Team Debacle"

Former Employee - Analytics in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analytics in New York, NY

I worked at MEC (More than 3 years)

Pros

At a time when MEC had a lot of different accounts, there were some really great analytics folks who worked there. Several, but not all, of the analysts, managers and ADs worked hard to ensure that things were delivered on time, that the account teams had analytics representation present in meetings and generally for the most part, all got along. Most of the ADs and below struggled to make the most out of a bad situation. And boy did the analytics team have a bad situation.

Cons

This is for when MEC actually had a good deal of clients. It's probably not very relevant anymore:
    - Directors and up were so in love with their titles and made sure to throw that around so that you knew you were talking to a Director, Sr Partner.
    - Sweeping sexism under the rug hoping that no one cleans it up. Inappropriate comments made and HR turns a blind eye.
    - Ageist comments made on a regular basis by Directors and up. ADs, Managers and Analysts being treated like children.
    - Managing Partners making veiled threats to subordinates to get them to agree to what they want.
    - Clueless senior management who have absolutely nothing of value to offer...and yet are still employed. What??
    - Pay is under the market rate. Be prepared to hear, "we don't give bonuses here" (except to senior executives who do what again??)

Advice to Management

I would say get rid of the bad apples but then who else would be left on the team.

9. "Planning Associate"

I have been working at MEC (More than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck. Good vacation time. I suppose having a WPP agency on the resume isn't the worst thing.

Cons

Severe lack of professionalism in an attempt to appear "cool" to attract "millennials." Constant turn over. Senior Management and Office Manager act like catty high school mean girls. Mediocrity and misery permeate the place.

Jun 13, 2017 – Global Project Manager, People and Culture

At MEC we have built our culture to be a relaxed and informal one. We have a very accessible Senior Management team who like to sit amongst us, not behind closed doors. We are a Sunday Times top... More

10. "I really like this company."

Pros

MEC has great people and a clear vision for the future. I've worked in other agencies and MEC has the better culture.

Cons

Glassdoor is telling me that I must submit 20 words of cons! But what if I don't have anything negative to say?!!?

May 9, 2017 – Global Project Manager, People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to respond. We are thrilled that you are enjoying MEC and wish you continued success!