MEDcare Urgent Care Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Medical assistant"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Waterbury, CT

I worked at MEDcare Urgent Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

i love what i do with in this comany

Cons

no benefits and should pay overtime and holiday pay

Advice to Management

take the time and appreciate the hard work top employees do with in the company.

"Worst. Place. EVER!"

I worked at MEDcare Urgent Care full-time

Pros

The peers that are literally in the trenches with you...

Cons

Schedule, workload, lack of job security, management, no respect for employees.

Advice to Management

Patients don't want to be treated the way your business model suggests... Get over yourself.

"Run like Emergency Room Not Urgent Care"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at MEDcare Urgent Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clinical staff is full of great kids that care about each other and the patients. Some of the Doctors and the staff are very good people and care about each other. Managers and Directors try to run the business with great effort and lean on each other for support and advice.

Cons

The business in general is not run like a business but like an emergency room, lead by owners that are clueless from a business perspective. Everyday the owners come up with new ideas or plans that will get them through that day...There is no long term planning or thought put into the collateral damage that may be done as you "whack a mole" one problem at a time. Unfortunately, most of the time the damage that is caused from these awful leadership decisions, leads to staff being let go or leaving which leads to the turnover rate of more than 100% annually. The top leadership group will manipulate situations and create "no-win" cases in order to try to get personnel they want gone to slip up so they can be fired. They literally will lie and pin things on management or clinical staff if they no longer like them or want them gone. Sadly, this is done year after year which stagnates any chance of coming out of the cycle that is leading the company down the drain in many ways. Morale is at an all time low and there is no sustainable plan in place to come out of their current state (No retention plan, no employee of the month, zero support from management up).

Advice to Management

Treat staff with respect, it will go a long way...and will be the first time your staff has felt it from you.

"Managegment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at MEDcare Urgent Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MedCare gives the opportunity to develop skills and learn new skills that you may not have the opportunity to learn anywhere else. The cohesiveness of the staff is wonderful. If you have a good team, you will definitely form bonds.

Cons

Corporate managment tries to divide team members thus causing tension and chaos. Don;t expect to be appreciated for your loyalty and hard work. There is alot of manipulation, fraud, misrepresentation, and true lack of caring about the patients. Current ownership only cares about the bottom line and making sure their pockets are never light. Work there only for the experience and then move on. Trust me, many have done that before you.

Advice to Management

One word; Care. Care about your employees. Care about your patients. Care about the lives you make diffiuclt by only seeing the profits. CARE!!!!!!!!!!

"Do not waste your time"

Pros

Working with the best co-workers and doctors.

Cons

I'm not even sure where to start. "Management" is an absolute nightmare, when there actually is management. The whole place is a revolving door because no one cares about you. You're replaceable in their eyes. I doubt anyone in the business office, including the owners, knew my name the 2 years I worked there. Expect to be over worked and underpaid. They complain about employees having over time yet they're always understaffed. Don't expect any raises. The only time I was offered one was when I told them I was quitting. They don't even let you cash out your unused vacation time either. They expect you to go by "standing orders" which is a huge joke. I always felt uncomfortable doing half the tests they order because I knew the patients didn't really need it; the owners are just money hungry and will order anything and everything to get another dollar. Speaking of, you can't be seen for free anymore if you're an employee. Training is ridiculous. They throw someone on you and you have to train them on top of seeing lots of patients. They come up with all these little projects, that by the third failure of attempting to make this place better, it's just laughable. Everyone walks on eggshells when the owners come around because they'll call you out for every little thing you do wrong. Working with them for 13 hours is a whole new nightmare. No one ever compliments you and tells you how good you're doing or thank you. (Just your co-workers) "Leads" are a joke. None of them know what they're doing and can't answer any question you bring to them. You're constantly under pressure because they're so understaffed on top of the unrealistic times they want each patient to be seen. Maybe if they stopped ordering unnecessary tests the patients would be in and out at reasonable times. The "huddles" and 6:30am meetings are pointless. Nothing ever gets accomplished. Nothing is ever fully stocked. They're constantly taking supplies from one clinic for the other which leads to another thing: lack of communication. When it comes to holidays, they tell you that if you work one holiday, you're off for the next one. That's definitely not true. And you don't even get time and a half for holidays. God forbid have a sick day. If you don't bring a valid excuse in the next time you work you'll get written up. They treat you like middle schoolers when it comes to having your phone out. I have never been so miserable at a job than here at Medcare.

Advice to Management

Manage, care more about your staff, listen to them.

"Upper level staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Columbia, SC

I have been working at MEDcare Urgent Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of skill developing chances. Face pace, good communication between some staff. If you have a good team in place for the day, there is amazing team work.

Cons

Managers will tell your personal business you've told them in confidence. They pick favorites and let them run the show and sit on the side lines, while you get your butt handed to you.. Lots of blame placing on staff that wasn't present to defend themselves. If you chose to work at Medcare, use it as a learning experience and that's it. Don't stay and expect loyalty because you won't get it.

Advice to Management

My advice to the owners is implement random drug testing on all employees, management and staff. If you keep hearing the same complaints from staff, listen to them!!!

"Excellent Place to sharpen skills"

Former Employee - Medical Technician in Irmo, SC
    Former Employee - Medical Technician in Irmo, SC

I worked at MEDcare Urgent Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medcare Urgent cares patient care model allows healthcare professionals below the RN licence exposure to skills they would not be able to perform in any other healthcare facility in the midlands of South Carolina.

Cons

Poor training model
    Healthcare facility run like an manufacturing facility
    Tremendous turn over
    Company financially unstable

Advice to Management

remain within the law.
    pay your employees what you owe when you owe
    manage your clinics with structured systems that have worked for many other company
    focus on you employees. Keep those who are competent and proficient, train those who are not and release the "defects'. By using tangible, fair, and impartial means. Set standards, those who meet or exceed standards are rewarded not used, those who do not are given feed back to allow an opportunity to improve, those who still are sub-par, release. Make sure you have the documentation to prove your claim.

"Not a good place to work if you have a family or young age children."

Pros

No good reason to work here.

Cons

Every thing including management is the worst.

10. "Sit down and let me tell you a story"

Former Employee - Center Manager in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Center Manager in North Charleston, SC

I worked at MEDcare Urgent Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The facilities were nice. And that's a huge pro because management winds up moving in.

Cons

Sit down and let me tell you a story. Go grab a coffee and come back because it's a long one. Don't worry, I'll wait.

I took this job in 2015 based on the promises of a seemingly good management team and the desperation to find a good healthcare management position. Being fresh off the boat with a Bachelor's degree and 5 years of healthcare experience, I eagerly accepted the position to manage a free standing, fast paced urgent care clinic in a well developed area of Charleston. What could go wrong, right?

For starters, do you notice the bump in ratings that this company has around August of 2015? This is artificial from the CEO sitting employees down in the break room and having them fill out Glassdoor and Google+ reviews while under his direct supervision. Roughly half of the 5-star Google reviews are by employees as well. The company alleges to function based on an emotional grid, whereby the goal of every encounter we have is to evoke the most positive spot on the grid. It sounds like a noble goal except when the company's leadership exacts its will on you like Donald Trump and is exempt from its own standards like a Secretary of State who is exempt from laws governing the proper handling of classified information.

Managers were required to be "on the floor" for 6-8 hours per day directing every step of the clinical process, thus removing the need for qualified medical individuals. Short of unsheathing the injection needles for the staff, managers are expected to hold the staffs' hands on everything. I'm not sure who actually manages the clinics because the managers get scolded for doing so (because it removes them from the floor). I ended up having to take my laptop and work from the nurses' station in order to satisfy the "6-8 hours on the floor" requirement, but still wound up working 12+ hour days.

The failure of the management team to build a satisfactory work environment doesn't even scratch the surface of the many compliance dilemmas one will face. Diagnostic tests are ordered before a patient is seen by the Physician. There have been several Physicians who have posted on here attesting to this very thing. This brings up concerns of medical necessity, coding compliance, and their highly coveted "Joint Commission" accreditation.

There were two people on here who claim that the company is now headed in the right direction because they have the right people on board. Let me address that by saying unless the leadership has changed (and it hasn't...I checked) then the wrong people are still on board. In a short 1.5 year time span, there were 8 managers who cycled through for their 6 clinics. I had such a difficult time keeping the staff pleasant because they were so disgruntled. In fact, I tried helping those dissatisfied employees by helping them network with other employers, thus making room for new employees. Apparently having happy employees is not in the best interest of the company though. I'd have to check Wikipedia, but I think Stalin was quoted as saying that. The company's X-Ray techs work plenty of overtime hours every week because no X-Ray tech in their right mind will go work for them.

Lastly, there are ethical concerns which Medicare (CMS) and the Joint Commission would be very interested to learn about. Unfortunately, nobody ever speaks up and so this place gets to keep their doors open.

Did you finish your coffee? That was a long review, so if you didn't finish your coffee yet then you need to drink faster.

Advice to Management

It's OK to be humble and admit what you don't know. Go sit on a beach somewhere and let someone else manage it.

"Stay away unless you're desperate"

I worked at MEDcare Urgent Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working for medcare. Save your time and work for another company. Anything is better than wasting your time at this place.

Cons

Horrible ownership. Management tries but the effort is pointless. Employees are in and out at record speed. If you like to feel like you matter this is not the place.

Advice to Management

Look for something else.