METRO Cash & Carry Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
METRO Cash & Carry Chairman of the Management Board Olaf Koch
Olaf Koch

Pros
  • Good company, with Great Process followed (in 8 reviews)

• Great experience in multinational company and interesting challenging tasks (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Low Salary as per industry standards (in 4 reviews)

1. "All right place to work"

I worked at METRO Cash & Carry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working environment. The corporation was expending, therefore has great value.

Cons

Salary is not so competitive.

2. "My Time at Metro Cash and Carry"

Pros

Stable Multinational firm with all standard benefits and perks expected of a good company.

Cons

If you don't like night shifts and odd hours you can consider that to be a con if you are applying for floor operations

3. "Purchasing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moscow (Russia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moscow (Russia)

I worked at METRO Cash & Carry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work in at start of your career, a lot of learning opportunities

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth, high workload

5. "Great things happening at MCC India"

Current Employee - Head of Department in Bengaluru (India)

Pros

The company has undergone a complete change under the new CEO, Arvind Mediratta. It's a become highly professional, nimble and customer centric in the last 12 months. Decision making is much faster and execution has improved multiple times. It's obvious from the results where we have been a huge improvement in both sales and profitability. This cultural change was much needed and highly appreciated. We now have a Board that we can look up to. Also there has been tremendous infusion of new talent which is highly welcome. Non performers and people with poor integrity have much to fear!

Cons

Very fast pace of work which is quite a change from the laid back culture of the past.

Advice to Management

Don't slow down and keep driving the organization for better results. Also like the new culture where the CEO forces people to get to the root cause of issues and encourage the team to focus on solutions. The new performance culture is a game changer. Now everyone in the company knows that the only way to get ahead in their career is to deliver results. Sycophancy doesn't work anymore!

6. "Great place to build your career - Metro C&C India"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at METRO Cash & Carry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the best time for any retail professional to work at Metro Cash and Carry India. The new MD and CEO Arvind Mediratta has recharged the company with a great vision! There is a lot happening at Metro right now.
    Everyone is enthusiastic about performing at his/her best and providing the momentum to propel the company into the future.
    Meritocracy and Professionalism are the new way of working at Metro under Arvind. Those not used to working hard are complaining and quitting.
    You are bound to become a good leader by working with Arvind. You will always find yourself on top of your business and constantly improving as a professional. You are almost always working on the edge and in the white spaces beyond your limits. He brings out the best in you. You have ample opportunities to make mistakes, quickly learn from those and become better.
    I can see the change he has brought about in my supervisor. I wish I get an opportunity to work directly with him.
    Metro is providing a great future for its employees. There is a rapid expansion on the cards. There couldn't be a better place to work right now!!

Cons

Peer pressure is immense! You are surrounded with such a bunch of talented people!! You have to be on top of your business always!

Advice to Management

Let's make Metro Cash and Carry the best Cash and Carry player in the whole world!

7. "Excellent progress in MCC India in last 12 months"

Current Employee - Head of Department in Bengaluru (India)

Pros

After the new CEO in india, there is a lot of excitement in the organization. The company is finally moving in the right direction with clear strategy, excellent leadership with great vision and strong focus on execution. The results have improved dramatically in the last few quarters. All the incompetent and corrupt employees and senior leaders who were a road-block to the growth of the company have been asked to go. Several bold decisions have been taken by new management to create a culture of professionalism and meritocracy. There wasn't a better time to be part of this company.

Cons

None except some of the old disgruntled employees who have survived basis sycophancy. They should be asked to go as they are spreading negativity because they are struggling to cope with the new "performance" focused culture.

Advice to Management

The new CEO and the Board are doing a fantastic job and would like them to continue on this journey. I have been part of this company for the last 7 years and have not seen a more dynamic leadership. They are focused on transforming Metro India to a world class company and one is proud to be part of this team.

8. "Great company"

I have been working at METRO Cash & Carry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic opportunity to work at metro and this company has helped me in my career. Very strong leaders who have vision and connect with people easily. I get a lot of chance to implement my ideas and also get recognized for my work . In all a great company led by a great CEO and leadership team

Cons

Fast paced and too focused

9. "HR"

I worked at METRO Cash & Carry full-time

Pros

Good learning enviroment, colleagues.

Cons

Not very clear where they are heading, lots of projects without clear result target. Some no value add, personal life/ work not very well balanced.

Advice to Management

Set a strategy and keep it.

10. "Going downhill; MCC Pakistan."

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at METRO Cash & Carry full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work environment, created mostly by the close knit teams themselves; sort of a we take care of our own.
    Heavy decentralization, good opportunity to learn.

Cons

Lower than market salary structures.
    Senior management believes all employees are expendable.
    Unstable vision and frequent cycles of management reshuffle / layoffs.
    Unclear strategy and vision, that is re-invented every 1-2 years.

Advice to Management

Almost all your senior / old employees including the country founding team have left the company. You need to clean up your act and have a better view of the employees worth. Good employees quit everyday in this company.
    Metro Pakistan is not considered a company where a person can grow his career. In fact people now view it as a stepping stone if they have nowhere to go at present, someplace to keep the salary going while they job hunt.

11. "MCCIN"

Pros

Job Security, Multinational Company, Good place to learn

Cons

Limited growth opportunity at floor operations level

Advice to Management

Provide growth opportunities to employees and a platform they can use to grow.