MGM Studios Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Gary Barber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • More 9-to-5 than other studios so good work/life balance, good people (in 5 reviews)

• Great look into the studio life and how the entertainment industry works (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management are penny pinchers (in 3 reviews)

• Although it had gotten ship-shape by the time I left, it had just gone through bankruptcy, lost its studio lot in the 70s, etc (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good place, but lots of turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MGM Studios full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for experience and advancement

Cons

High turnover of employees and management

"Coordinator"

Current Employee - Production Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Production Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at MGM Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Name
    -Work/Life balance.
    -The lobby looks nice.

Cons

Before I came here, a former colleague told me he would rather "cut off his hands than work at MGM." I thought he was being SO overdramatic.
    I've now been here for about one year. Would I cut off both hands? Probably not. But definitely a few fingers!
    I took this job because I wanted to learn something new, and this opportunity came up. Don't make this mistake - learn something new somewhere else!!
    I thought the right word was micromanaging, but now I think it's sheer stupidity. Here are some examples:
    >> The first week I started, someone kept emailing me excel sheets, asking if I could print them for her and then walk them over to her desk. Why? Because my desk is closer to the printer than her desk, and it's "in your job description." (It's not. Nowhere is it written: Print things for her because your desk is closer.)
    >> For the better half of a year, one other teammate and I have been working to get everyone onto a cloud based project management tool that is multi-user and updates in real time - it's absolutely fantastic! Most of the current workflows involve attaching excel sheets to emails, which is cumbersome and emails can be hard to find. I finally present our masterpiece yesterday. Except... I didn't because this Sr. Manager refuses to look, and says no, "we'll use the excel method." Then he continues by saying, "You know, you're only a coordinator. You should really be taking this time to learn how things work instead of trying to change them." If an entire year of working within your tech-nightmare from the early 80s isn't enough, then I'm not sure what is.
    People cling to their titles like lifelines, even when they clearly don't deserve it. Lots of failing upwards here. It's impossible to get fired for incompetency, often at the detriment of the team.
    There is an atmosphere of fear and politics. More than once, people have "warned" me about saying things around certain people because they'll "tell higher ups". Sorry, didn't know this was the 1st grade.
    Honestly, this is a terrible place to work. If you're looking for growth, challenges, and making an impact, don't even consider it. This "studio" is a shell of a shell of shell of its former self. If you want old Hollywood, better stick to Disney, WB, or Universal. Just waiting for another bankruptcy to come along and end this place's misery.

Advice to Management

>> Adapt! Senior management needs to stay on top of moving the entire company forward. This is one of the few places still so stuck on using tapes - TAPES!! Everyone else is on digitized 4k, UHD, IMF packaging. Yes, it costs more, but it's an investment!
    >>Promote based on effectiveness, not longevity.
    >>Stop using scare tactics! You make the new people scared to speak up even when there are better ways of doing something, and you make capable people leave.
    >>Stop micromanaging, and trust your employees. Otherwise, you need to take a hard look at your hiring practices.
    >>Take employee criticism seriously. You hired us. We have ideas on how to make things better. And those ideas just go straight to the garbage.

"Toxic work culture"

I worked at MGM Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The brand and the office view

Cons

Managers “play favorites” with certain employees and micromanage the rest. Some folks took two-hour lunch or disappeared in the middle of the day to take care of their own business.

Advice to Management

You must work with all of your staff to achieve your department and your organizational goals.

"Domestic Channels"

Former Employee - Designer in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MGM Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pay and benefits were descent

Cons

Management was small, petty, micro managers that fester in toxicity. The worst part is that some of the females in the department would be called into the manager's office and be yelled at with obscene profanity and belittled, however, he never tried that with a male. Now that he has a pathetic crony it's twice as bad for females. This is truly where careers come to die.

Advice to Management

drive up to a cliff and...

""They'll expect you to wear many hats but never pay you to""

I worked at MGM Studios full-time

Pros

Nice people, good learning experience, interdepartmental team atmosphere

Cons

Lowest pay imaginable, wont promote you when you deserve it (even when your boss requests it), only take care of the top execs.

Advice to Management

Advice to CEO ---> You have a great group of people there, from Assistants to the Executives. Start valuing the individual. Walk around, get to know your staff. Say hello to people in the elevator instead of ignoring them. And when someone puts 2 years into your company, goes above and beyond, and is well liked by their team and higher ups.....maybe consider investing in them instead viewing them as a number.... Thats how you lost me.

6. "Coordinator"

I have been working at MGM Studios full-time

Pros

The work you will be doing is great.

Cons

Company culture varies greatly from department to department. Does not really help their employees grow.

"MGM motto on lion logo "Ars gratia artis" (Art for art's sake- oh the lies)"

Current Employee - Supervisor Level in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor Level in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at MGM Studios (More than 5 years)

Pros

Better work-life balance than other studios, at least we have some good TV shows

Cons

Compensation is terrible, absolutely no work perks aside from screenings of our D-list impairment-friendly movies and annual consumer product carts of unpurchased Pink Panther and Stargate goods, no one is really happy (just look at all the sad faces on the elevator), thus the constant turnover across the departments, no team bonding activities or happy hours, we have a group of executives that somehow greenlit the big flop of a film Ben-Hur (2016) and other flops and remakes like Hot Pursuit, Carrie (remake), Robocop (remake), Hansel and Gretel, other studios do not want to co-finance with our studio anymore or pickup our pilots, oh and promises of upward mobility, but no actual movement for years.

Advice to Management

No need to advice, management will just blame everyone else for their and the Company's problems. "Somehow" we'll lose a lot of money from our crappy film slate due to exec initial greenlighting and micromanagement, but then they delegate the blame to everyone else by reducing bonus and raise potential. Everyone will keep leaving and they will keep asking themselves "why would they ever leave?" These people are way out of touch with reality and the entertainment needs of the public.

8. "Okay"

I worked at MGM Studios full-time

Pros

good pay, nice benefits, nice people

Cons

work long hours, no raised

9. "So much potential but terrible place to work"

I worked at MGM Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people, close to good restaurants

Cons

culture, management, HR, benefits, pay

10. "Coordinator"

I have been working at MGM Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kind people, good benefits, classic library

Cons

technologically dormant, not as much original content.