MGM Studios Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Gary Barber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • More 9-to-5 than other studios so good work/life balance, good people (in 5 reviews)

• Great look into the studio life and how the entertainment industry works (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Continued to have the us vs them attitude between upper management and those who were in the lower ranks (in 3 reviews)

• Little to none HR interaction, terrible department management, no benefits consistency with other entertainment companies (in 4 reviews)

"Was really shaping up by the time I left"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MGM Studios full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My department was pretty chill and had a mostly friendly atmosphere
    Free advance movie screenings
    It's right off Rodeo Dr.

Cons

I heard some people were really overworked.
    The work was very boring.
    There seemed to be little to no upward mobility
    A lot of the movies they produce are not very good and don't do very well.
    MGM has a notoriously rocky history. Although it had gotten ship-shape by the time I left, it had just gone through bankruptcy, lost its studio lot in the 70s, etc. Although that's all historical, it makes you wonder how much job security is available there.

"MGM motto on lion logo "Ars gratia artis" (Art for art's sake- oh the lies)"

Current Employee - Supervisor Level in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor Level in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at MGM Studios (More than 5 years)

Pros

Better work-life balance than other studios, at least we have some good TV shows

Cons

Compensation is terrible, absolutely no work perks aside from screenings of our D-list impairment-friendly movies and annual consumer product carts of unpurchased Pink Panther and Stargate goods, no one is really happy (just look at all the sad faces on the elevator), thus the constant turnover across the departments, no team bonding activities or happy hours, we have a group of executives that somehow greenlit the big flop of a film Ben-Hur (2016) and other flops and remakes like Hot Pursuit, Carrie (remake), Robocop (remake), Hansel and Gretel, other studios do not want to co-finance with our studio anymore or pickup our pilots, oh and promises of upward mobility, but no actual movement for years.

Advice to Management

No need to advice, management will just blame everyone else for their and the Company's problems. "Somehow" we'll lose a lot of money from our crappy film slate due to exec initial greenlighting and micromanagement, but then they delegate the blame to everyone else by reducing bonus and raise potential. Everyone will keep leaving and they will keep asking themselves "why would they ever leave?" These people are way out of touch with reality and the entertainment needs of the public.

3. "Associate Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MGM Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Long work days that often spill over into weekends. Worklife quality varies greatly depending on which department you work in.

4. "Security officer"

Current Employee - Security Officer in North Tunica, MS
    Current Employee - Security Officer in North Tunica, MS

Pros

Customer service is great good protection

Cons

Employers need more protection and fairness

Advice to Management

Use your motto people get hired from with in the company. It is not being forced by management

"Stable company with loyalty"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MGM Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When Spyglass took over MGM they brought with them a very pragmatic, sustainable, and realistic approach towards running a studio that is economically sound. They did away with the over the top lavishness associated with a lot of studio production heads and the frivolous spending that most likely contributed to MGM's initial bankruptcy.

You'll never get let go in a recession - but you'll be hard pressed to negotiate out a substantial raise.

Not only does this economic behavior permeate the finance side of the company, but it trends towards the way the operate on all levels, including creative. They go for more safe bets and potential franchise or international market ventures which is a pretty smart move in the unstable economy - so if you're OK with that environment then this is the place for you.

Cons

At least when I was there - they severely underpaid in the competitive market - but there was an incredible amount of loyalty that they showed for their employees who were tried and true. They tend to hire interns and promote from within which is great, but again compensation is a big con of the company.

"Needs to Value Employees"

Former Employee - Finance Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MGM Studios full-time

Pros

The employees are helpful, supportive, and friendly. They just put their heads down and get their work done. People at every level are accessible. The company is small and nimble, able to quickly react to the rapid changes in the entertainment industry. Gary Barber has put the company in great financial shape and is always exploring new ways to increase income.

Cons

Middle and upper management are constantly challenged on every penny they spend including salary requests and bonuses. This constant need to justify spending is exhausting to the point of just going down the path of no resistance and accepting the fact that MGM is cheap.

Advice to Management

Trust your management to reward their employees and value all employees by recognizing their time and effort.

"Participations Department"

Former Employee - Participations Analyst in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Participations Analyst in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

Screenings, co-workers, flex hours

Cons

Management didn't make staff feel valuable. A lot of turnover.

Advice to Management

Be more encouraging and give opportunities to those deserving to grow with the company.

8. "Director"

Former Employee - Executive Director in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MGM Studios full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smaller company so larger scope of responsibility which makes job more interesting

Cons

Smaller company so compensation packages not as big as bigger companies

"Stepping stone to another studio"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

Parking in the underground structure , free screenings in house of the 4 or so movies they release a year. It's a stepping stone to move on to a better studio.

Cons

The departments are small, often it is a SVP or Head of Department and an assistant only, therefore there is no room to advance and high amount of stress on everyone.
    Pay not on par with other competitors.
    No appreciation what so ever , no updates on what is going on in the company.
    The CEO micromanages every detail, no one has creative freedom.
    The movies they release are focused on money than quality and budget are tighter than necessary in departments.
    Everyone leaves after a year or so , making it difficult to continuously get used to new people and explaining things over and over to new staff.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your staff, pay them more, turn MGM back to the incredible studio we associate with MGM rather than the corporate bank it has become.

10. "MGM always for sale..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MGM Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my experience there are some truly great people who work at MGM. Despite the numerous changes in management over the years the company's history in itself is inspiring. Work for the right person and you can be happy.

Cons

Upper management are penny pinchers. Pay here will not be comparable to other places. The sense that the company is for sale is unwavering.