MGO Reviews in Sacramento, CA | Glassdoor

Sacramento, CA Area

4.4
Kevin O'Connell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Breakroom, nice office when it isnt in repairs, and good staff (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Claim flexible work hours and work/life balance but require 60-65 hours minimum during their time frame (in 4 reviews)

• During busy season long hours can be expected, especially near deadlines (in 6 reviews)

"No Place Like MGO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

By far one of the best companies I have worked at. Figuring out the structure of the organization can be challenging at first. I started out interning and have since been promoted several times over the last 3 years. The company takes pride in their values and invests in employee appreciation and holiday events. Nothing short of an amazing group of co workers with a fun and comfortable work atmosphere. There is a strong sense of team spirit throughout the organization and employees help each other out.

I personally have been given guidance, mentor-ship, feedback and support by many of the Partners and Directors within the firm on several different occasions. The management team within the organization exhibits a great sense of pride in their work and growing this firm.

The CEO is very personable and takes the time to meet his employees and encourages us to give our input and ideas to make this firm better.

Cons

After being employed with companies that could care less about there employees,I am so very grateful that I found MGO. I see no real cons to working for MGO. Yes, sometimes there are long hours, but there are also days that the doors close early just so we can all be with our families for some additional time right before/after the holidays.

Advice to Management

I personally feel very lucky to be part of this organization. My advice to management would be to keep doing what your doing. Showing your employees they are valued and appreciated goes a very long way.

2. "Exciting changes in infrastructure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at MGO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

MGO grew really fast over the last few years and had a difficult time keeping up with the infrastructure needs of a larger firm. Over the last 6 months it has been apparent that MGO has made personnel and culture a priority. Due to that, the Sacramento office is a completely different place to work. Staff is happy. Well done.
    Also, the management team brought back the Giants game!!!

Cons

It would be nice to have our holidays match the holidays of the state. Also, Associates and Experience Associates are the ones in the field everyday – more attention needs to be paid to those who are on the ground. Their input is more valuable than they get credit for.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff. There is an energetic group of staff auditors that are passionate about their jobs, love the work they do, and want to grow with MGO. These individuals are the future of the firm, listen to them!

"Staff is overworked and underpaid. Management team has had turnover the past year!"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Well to start out it is a job and its not like Sacramento is Silicon Valley. The seniors are cool to work for and they have some big pension clients.

Cons

Staff is overworked and underpaid. Management has had some turnover in the past year with some key managers moving to San Diego. Morale is very low and the Giants baseball game was cancelled to save a few bucks. The corporate practice is a joke. Not a fun place to work.

Advice to Management

Management should praise the staff more and quit brainstorming how to over leverage the staff. Management is inexperienced and could use some training on employee relations.

4. "Stable, growing firm with integrity"

Current Employee - Director in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Big firm talent and experience but in a smaller, more personalized setting. MGO is a stable, growing firm with big plans and good opportunities for those who take on the challenge. Leaders care about employee development and job satisfaction. I have been here over three years and have been impressed by the technical skills of other professionals as well as the commitment that the partners have to improvement and learning in a variety of areas, from employee relations to training to expanding into new service lines. There's never a dull moment at this firm, so if you are looking to be "stagnant," this isn't the place for you.

Cons

Growing organizations face "growing pains" challenges. The firm has acquired two other firms during the time I've been here, and there have been some hiccups with that. We also face challenges as we try to implement or upgrade our programs and systems, because we've gotten much bigger quickly. There is always room for improvement in communicating firm issues and goals, not just here but at every organization I've worked for. It's difficult to "get the word out" to the entire firm when you have 6 offices and many practice areas. Having enough people and resources to get the job done efficiently and quickly is a general challenge in my department.

Advice to Management

Keep the feedback coming and don't forget to give people kudos for a job well done. Consider more "edgy" programs in staff retention, training, marketing and client relations.

"Doing ok, could use some improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

It is a good place to receive experience doing governmental assurance work. Also, the kitchen is usually well stocked.

Cons

Management does not communicate changes well to employees, they tend to keep people in the dark until the very last minute and by then people are already talking about whatever it is they were trying to keep quiet.

Advice to Management

Be more communicative of changes to the firm. Keep people informed earlier on before people start hearing snippets of information and trying to piece together what's going on. Also, in order to be "one firm" sometimes you need to spend the time and money to make the employees all feel like they're part of one firm, each office & department is still very much their own "silo."

"Ken needs to come out of semi-retirement"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Sacramento, CA

Pros

It is nearly impossible to be fired, unless you are totally incompetent. Even then management is more likely to lay you off with some excuse. Macias Gini and O'Connell still do a holiday party every year even with the down economic times. The best reason to work here is the staff. The staff are easy going and are generally excited about a beginning as most of the staff come straight from college. The new hire staff bring excitement to a rather boring industry. Macias Gini and O'Connell service large government bodies so there is the chance for future job placement in those locations.

Cons

The main down points are that there is no feedback during the year. The vast majority of the employees feed backs come during the annual evaluation. After the annual evaluation the employee will have to wait until the next year to see if they fullfilled the expectations of management. This concides with another downside, the strength of management. As in a good majority of firms that I have worked at the managers and senior managers are merely staff that has been promoted (you're length of employment determines promotions not your ability) through the ranks, but contain no type of managment skills or training.

Advice to Management

Senior Managment and managers in general should be required to take some managment courses. Most preferrably a Master in Business Administration degree, but just something would be a great help. Just becuase you are given a title does not mean you know what you are doing.

"Thoughts from the inside"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Breakroom, nice office when it isnt in repairs, and good staff.

Cons

Travel, benefits, management, partners, firm structure, managers play favorites, and much more.

Advice to Management

They should consider respecting and hearing the voices of staff and get a feel of what is really going on at the bottom.