MICROS Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

MICROS Systems Reviews

Updated May 8, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • work with great people who come from a hospitality background (in 11 reviews)

• Lots of travel to top global hotel companies (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • zero work-life balance, in particular fo shifted jobs (in 13 reviews)

• NO training for new employees, unstructured work environment, unprofessional upper management, no incentives, low morale, no room for growth (in 12 reviews)

"Too much stress for the (amazingly low) salary"

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Columbia, MD

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to pick a shift depending on your lifestyle after a certain time. 11-7, 12-8, 8-4, 7-3 etc
    Close to DC and Baltimore
    They hire you immediately, because they are desperate.
    That's it though.

Cons

You are not allowed to take any breaks-you will get an email to please "aut in". So, you are basically told that you cannot take a break unless you ask.
    Dispatch Mode in my department-basically 7 hours of your 8 hour day, 4 days out of your 5 day week-means you cannot perform the duties that define your job, as in: assist your clientele; no- you get their information, and regardless of what is they are experiencing- or whether they have a "help desk contract"- the Holy Grail of Assistance at Micros , you are made to tell them you will follow up. That is not customer service/support.

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots-
    1,appreciate and acknowledge that customer service agents are pretty much front line soldiers AND ambassadors for this company.
     2."Micros sucks" is so common sentence with the customers I've dealt with; you feel terrible for them- how do you change that? Give your personnel greater authority to help.
    3. Perks= happier, more productive employees

"Implementation Specialist"

Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Columbia, MD

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel to nice resorts

IDEAL JOB FOR: for a grad first out of school that is VERY knowledgeable with computers and building systems and so forth AND that has had experience in the service industry at some point.

Rewarding feeling after training individuals to use a product that scares them initially; I couldn't have met a more appreciative staff at the job site I was assigned; it felt great to give them the tools and information they need to suceed since change usually scares people.

Cons

Pay is low (starting $42K), no opportunity of a raise until 1 year of employment is over.

Pay is based on assumption that you work 40 hours per week; however, weeks will be much longer at times while assigned to a project and pay will remain the same (check out the pending CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT filed against Micros Systems by implementation specialists who encountered this problem.

While you may be in a beautiful place for your project; do not count on having a day off sometimes for weeks - months (even when nothing needs to be done by you to justify overtime if your lead has to be there then [depending on the lead] you may be sitting there staring into space with nothing you can do).

The interviewer failed to inform me of how knowledgeable I should be with programming, instead making it seem as if I will thrive based interpersonal skills alone.

Watch your back; especially with management in particular the one who does your job assignments.

Advice to Management

Complete a more thorough screening process at either the initial or 2nd interview in order to save time on both ends.

"Take the good with the bad"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to build professional relationships. The company is well respect among competitors and other employers in the area. Great health benefits. Great opportunity to learn in a fast paced environment.

Cons

It gets a little too political and very difficult to get things done on time. Customer Service has dwindled due to lowered expectations from managers and directors. Little to no training or support for certain positions. Unclear career opportunities. Work-Life Balance not encouraged, or common. Hard work and accomplishments are often not recognized. It's understandable to not give pay increases, but a compliments and recognition is free. Pay it forward.

Advice to Management

Become more transparent. It will earn you a lot more respect.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Warwick, RI

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not micromanaged and flexible when issues arise.
    Decent pay

Cons

Still in transition, a lot is expected outside of hired role.

Advice to Management

none

"done"

Current Employee - Operations in Solon, OH
    Current Employee - Operations in Solon, OH

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

some of the people, others not so much

Cons

The environment is depressing. The bathrooms, lunch room and carpet are disgustingly dirty. Upper management has no clue as to what is going on or what should be going on. Customers are all lied to about the status of projects and timelines. You can work 60 hours a week and get NOTHING in return...oh, except for the cupcake and banner mentioned in a previous review.

Advice to Management

get a clue...

"Lots of promises, no follow through"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Solon, OH
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Solon, OH

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are generally nice and I have made a couple friends there, but the overall morale is in the toilet.

Health benefits are good.

Cons

Management has no idea how to manage the current customers, let alone the new ones that are being brought in. They make promises to customers that they know we cannot keep, but if it gets them an extra week or month without that customer yelling and screaming at them, then they feel they did their job.

There is absolutely no room to advance, you are told that if you do a good job you will be rewarded, in my over three years there I have only received a cupcake and a sign thanking us for our hard work.

Management runs around the building waiving their arms and looking to point the finger at someone else because in their eyes it is never their fault. They are also very quick to make assumptions when a project gets behind.

Management does not know anything about the software they develop and will say whatever it is they think you want to hear to keep you pacified for the time being.

Lately the new hires (although nice people) have no technical background, I don't know how many times I have had to help someone (who I know is making more than I am) copy a file onto their USB thumb drive or just copy a file to another folder in Windows.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage your people and especially learn something about the software you develop and make sure the people you hire know a little something about computers and software.

Try asking questions about why something is not on schedule instead of making your own assumptions.

READ EMAILS! We don't send them to you for our health, we usually have important information to tell you.

"WORST MANAGEMENT EVER! OVERWORKED, UNDER=PAID, UN-APPRECIATED!"

Current Employee - HBU in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - HBU in Columbia, MD

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Financially stable with great amount of revenue generation.

Cons

Over titled and over paid Management who intimidate their employees and degrade them as if they are better due to their position titles. For the 3 years I have worked for MICROS, I have been insulted, talked down to and verbally beat down as if I do not assist with driving the business. Clearly they haven't heard of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Run for your life, this company is TOXIC!

Advice to Management

Try showing some respect for your employees without making them feel like gum stuck on the bottom of your shoe. Get more involved outside of normal operations matters. Create an action plan to retain employees so many would stop quitting and resigning. Everyone here is a VP and so hung up on titles. Show some employee appreciation for once and quit mistreating foreign employees who drive business revenue the most.

9. "Strong taste of all 40 plus software and hardware aspects of opening and troubleshooting any hospitality customer."

Former Employee - Micros Specialist in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Micros Specialist in Columbia, MD

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They give you the tools, experience and resources for anyone getting in the door. Best health insurance.

Cons

Low Low Low pay with very high expectations for expecting to know 40 plus software applications and 40 plus hardware components. Overwork you 90 plus biweekly hours for low salary pay. There's even been law suits for not paying employees what they earned as far as hours worked. Not enough OT opportunities for all departments.

Advice to Management

Give higher recommendations for your team. Push hard for good raises. If not tell employees to look elsewhere and not waste too much time with the company. Be fair in giving internal and external opportunities.

"Adventure in self reliance"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of things to keep you busy, get to be out of the office regularly

Cons

no training program, if you work for a small office you need to figure things out yourself

"Not bad"

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Specialist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great to get out of the office and meet people, lots of flexibility, travel is nice

Cons

Difficult work life balance, a lot of nights and weekends, a lot of last minute work