MICROS Systems Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
MICROS Systems President & CEO Peter A. Altabef
Peter A. Altabef
1 Rating

Pros
  • work with great people who come from a hospitality background (in 11 reviews)

• Lots of travel to top global hotel companies (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • zero work-life balance, in particular fo shifted jobs (in 13 reviews)

• NO training for new employees, unstructured work environment, unprofessional upper management, no incentives, low morale, no room for growth (in 12 reviews)

"Working Blind"

Former Employee - Head of Digital Studio in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Head of Digital Studio in London, England (UK)

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Micros has some very good and talented people. They have a lot of resources throughout the organisation.

Cons

Their is a lack of communication between offices and departments. Most of the management were ok however there were the odd ones who took pleasure in belittling the employees. Although it reported on occasion it was not dealt with.

2. "Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dunstable, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dunstable, England (UK)

I worked at MICROS Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Close to home - easy commute.

Cons

No prospects. Old technology. Shocking management.

Advice to Management

Resign!

3. "Dunstable Office RJ Development Horrible Work Environment!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dunstable, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dunstable, England (UK)

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time

Pros

Flexible hours to some extent based on you being able to get your work done (although this would be a given in many programming roles).

A negative and a positive in one is the freedom to code change requests or bug fixes or add new functionality (given time) in any way you want. I say this could be a negative because standards would make the product much more robust, stable, scalable and maintainable.

Cons

Horrible management, criticise you at the drop of a hat if anything goes even slightly wrong yet hardly ever appreciate it when you do meet your deadlines or think outside of the box to benefit the product.

Ridiculous deadlines. I mean, you would think that we were working on life support machines with the deadlines that are handed out for work to be completed. This leaves no time for learning and the general advice is to JFDI (just f-ing do it) i.e. hack to your hearts content but get the job done. Terrible ethos. Leaves many many problems when trying to maintain. Code is horribly hacked all over the place.

The build process for customers etc is just a complete mess. Porting involves literally copy and pasting to different versions of RJ, leaving massive room for human error in the process. All-in-all disgusting processes.

Absolutely no chance or room for improvement of processes, management will simply not allow time for improvement of software. Very much a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude here.

The hiring of staff for the development of the RJ product is atrocious, interviewers promise you things which they never deliver on and ask you questions about things such as design patterns which are pretty much non-existent in the actual product.

Recently 3 people left this department as a result of poor management. One of which had been working there over 6 years+ and was pushed to the brink.

Advice to Management

You are the biggest problem!

You let the customers walk all over us and panic like there's no tomorrow when deadlines are missed.

You leave no room for improvement in the product! This is VERY important.

4. "Shockingly bad"

Current Employee - Office Administrator in Guildford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Office Administrator in Guildford, England (UK)

I have been working at MICROS Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none that I can think of

Cons

Lack of interest in staff and staff needs
    No empathy
    Only looked at employees as numbers
    Customer care was shocking

Advice to Management

Look after your staff or you will never have loyal workers - which in term equals bad customer experience and low morale

5. "Great bunch of people"

Current Employee - Developer in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

I really enjoy working in a team. Management are very understanding if you need time of wok if it is necessary. Fellow colleagues are very friendly, we have a weekly football game on mondays where great fun is to be had. Good atmosphere!

Cons

The management structure is fairly standard old style. My line manager isn't directly involved in the product I develop so doesn't know how well I am doing, or of my big achievements. Salary is not competitive and the only way to get a rise is to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees and have more flexible working, meaning reduced hours on friday. More social events for the employees to bond as it helps during work hours as well.