MIND Research Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Dr. Matthew Peterson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Intelligent employees who are dedicated to the mission and a great product that is helping kids learn math (in 5 reviews)

• ST Math offers a really cool math program for kids (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Look at how many people sing the praises of ST Math despite being let go (in 4 reviews)

• Little to no career growth potential (in 3 reviews)

"Upward and onward"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MIND Research Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's no doubt the people working at this company find value and worth in the company's mission and core values. The programs developed are by far the most effective I've experienced working with educational programs. The culture differs from department to department but I love working with my fellow co-workers and the autonomy we have in achieving our goals.

Cons

Change in leadership and inconsistency in management can be a slippery slope. I am cautiously optimistic with the recent and current changes.

Advice to Management

Invest in human capital and your core product. Everything else will take care of itself.

"help desk"

I worked at MIND Research Institute full-time

Pros

good atmosphere and some good people

Cons

treated like a dog be academic snobs

Advice to Management

pull your head out

"Education and Support Specialist"

I worked at MIND Research Institute full-time

Pros

In the beginning, one of the best companies I ever worked for! We were small and it was the opportunity and job of a lifetime.

Cons

After about year five until the present, the company began to deteriorate. I went through 5 different managers and managed to stay above the fray. As the company grew they forgot about the people who worked hard to get them to the awesome growth they were experiencing. They began to free fall and seems to continue as previous colleagues have been let go and revenue seems to be tanking. There was no growth and very cliquey if you did not live in California where home office was. They got too big and stopped caring. Sad.

"Investing in the future"

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MIND Research Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is not the place for everyone, or even most people.

But if you have vision, if you know what it's like to guide a child to understanding, if you always want to be learning more, if you have the will to fight for a changed future, then you will fit right in at MIND. The people here are smart, courageous and empathetic.

The product is still the best out there. When I see kids using the program and getting it, actually learning and understanding; it is rewarding beyond words.

Cons

Obviously some things had not been working in the past few years that would have set up the organization for long-term success.

When I started working here, morale was high, exciting new developments were being made with little oversight or integration into a marketing, sales or financial plan, and the organization was growing very quickly. Nothing can really be that good; it seems we were borrowing against the future.

One thing you can say about people at MIND: we don't do things halfway. That includes crashing. But after that, it also includes taking a hard look at ourselves and our situation and then making changes to move forward.

And changes are abound. Does that mean everything will be back to the way it was before? I wouldn't want it to go to that extreme either. I do know I plan to stick around to help change happen, because our mission is worth it.

Advice to Management

Invest in the long-term future. That means more marketing than sales, more product development and planning than just maintenance. We used to do so many things that brought us together as an organization and reminded us of our core values (MINDshare, Halloween, optional trainings). No one at the management level has talked about core values in a long time...We can bring some of that back!

"Support"

I worked at MIND Research Institute full-time

Pros

Great people to work with!!

Cons

Prefer not to share any cons.

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at MIND Research Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fabulous product! Mission and vision for students is real.

Cons

Disrespectful leadership. Low pay. Directionless. Desperate.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk.

"amazing K12 product suffering from poor management"

I have been working at MIND Research Institute full-time

Pros

Being part of an organization that can positively impact the community, working with smart hard working people who are a joy to be around. Anybody that leaves always says the same thing, 'the people here are what makes this place so great'.

Cons

Everything is always in flux. Protocols, teams, structures, roles, processes.. all are constantly changing. The change management is not well documented or communicated across teams either. Cycle of hiring and firing is ongoing, multiple times a year. More management positions are brought on, and more lower level employees are let go.. resulting in very top heavy structure. New management is very disconnected to the employees, and it feels like a hostile take-over. Its the 'old boys club' as they say, with the new COO bringing his friends in to run the show.

This used to be a fun happy place to work, and its turned very sour. People who have been with the company for many many years, through all the ups and downs, are choosing to leave of their own accord. The people that are still here are already looking elsewhere, so expect more vacancies to come. A few negative glassdoor reviews are always expected - but the string of recent reviews from current employees points to a greater issue that needs to be addressed... something management clearly doesn't care to do.

Advice to Management

Spend time with your employees... listen to our grievances and concerns, and take action! We need to more opportunities for employee engagement, so we can be reminded of the people and the power this company has to do real good things in this world, because it's getting harder and harder to get past all the negativity and toxicity floating around to find what's left of the silver lining that makes staying here worthwhile.

During a difficult and confusing transition like this, you can't lose sight of your employees - or people will continue to leave to find better opportunities elsewhere. We can't continue to lose valuable employees like this. How can we expect continued growth and expansion with a revolving door workforce? It's frustrating for your employees and for your customers.

Providing a new system for communication does not solve the problem, it must be used and managed effectively as well. We still struggle greatly with communication across teams/departments, and the scary part is - we are not doing that much better when it comes to communicating clearly with our customers... and that is the truly terrifying part. Word of mouth plays a huge role in increasing our customer base, so we can not afford to lose schools over poor customer service. Our field teams work so hard to keep our customers happy, and it seems like management will do whatever they want and the field teams are always left picking up the pieces to make it work.

"Honest Truth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MIND Research Institute (More than a year)

Pros

Program, pay scale, remote work (for some not all it appears), flexibility.

Cons

Benefits, working in ghost town Irvine offices, upward mobility (it doesn't exist), annual or bi-annual layoffs, no transparency, Executive Leadership lacks leadership and management skills, posts positive fake reviews on glassdoor, upper management takes credit for others work, people blame and throw each other under the bus. No communication. Out of control spending. The environment is ugly and it appears those lucky enough to pull the six digit incomes are just out to make sure that their comfy lifestyle doesn't disappear.

Advice to Management

At this rate the ship is going down, you need to not only fix your ship, but you need to fix the toxic environment you have put your employees in day in and day out. Because without them you will sink.

"Mission driven"

I have been working at MIND Research Institute full-time

Pros

Mission driven organization with a visionary leader dedicated to helping all students achieve success with mathematics.

Cons

I've had nothing but really positive experiences here.

"Amazing company"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MIND Research Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome product working with dedicated people in a great environment to fulfill an amazing mission: to help kids (and everyone) learn and enjoy math!!

Cons

Little to no career growth potential